It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reindeer herder finds baby mammoth in Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Another baby mammoth seems to have turned up in Russia's Arctic. This new baby mammoth was found by a Reindeer herder and is supposedly in a similar state of preservation as Lyuba the 40,000 year old baby Mammoth found in 2007....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01365e8e7abf.jpg[/atsimg]

Scientists planned to fly the mammoth's remains to the regional capital Salekhard, where it would be stored in a cooler to prevent the remains from decomposing. Giant woolly mammoths have been extinct since the Earth's last Ice Age 1.8 million to around 11,500 years ago.

link to full story

I love finds like this

edit on 22/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Just beautiful.

If only they found a fully grown one preserved in this quality. Or better yet, a dinosaur!

Surely it wouldn't be too hard to take the DNA from such remains and clone a live version of these extinct animals?

I know very little about cloning or DNA extraction so excuse me if that last remark was a bit silllyyyyyyy

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

No it wasn't. Jurassic Park was a documentary

Seriously tho' finds like this can only be described as brilliant. Good to see the a still things in this world to suprise and amaze us.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar

Surely it wouldn't be too hard to take the DNA from such remains and clone a live version of these extinct animals?

I know very little about cloning or DNA extraction so excuse me if that last remark was a bit silllyyyyyyy

I think they are working on it....

The woolly mammoth, extinct for thousands of years, could be brought back to life in as little as four years thanks to a breakthrough in cloning technology.

Now the technical problems have been overcome, all we need is a good sample of soft tissue from a frozen mammoth,

link to story
edit on 22/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I wonder if mammoth makes a good burger?
Maybe we will find out one day

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I wish they included a photo of the herder... those guys are really cool

Edit: here's one..

edit on 22-8-2011 by bacci0909 because: link added

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by RenegadeScholar
Just beautiful.

If only they found a fully grown one preserved in this quality. Or better yet, a dinosaur!

I'm reading a good book at the moment by Clive Cussler titled: Polar Shift - it's fiction but hell it's so true to what's going on in the world right now - I'm sure he's telling us something! Anyway part of the plot is set in Siberia where they've found a baby mammoth and they're trying to do exactly what you have suggested - good book!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Im not 100% sure but i think you need around 10,000 individuals from a large mammal
species to have enough of a gene pool to survive and prosper. Creating such a large
number with such a genetic diversity from two baby mammoths would just be impossible.
Even if such a huge project could be accomplished, the area of land needed to sustain
and protect them would be massive 'they were migratory beasts' the whole idea is absurd.
What certain scientists 'I use the term loosely' would like to do is create a single mammoth
by splicing genes to elephants and using a breeding program to eventualy produce something
that resembles a wooly mammoth. The motivation for recreating one is nothing more than
greed as far as I can tell, the poor creature 'probably in ill health due to its unatural breeding'
would be carted around the world to be shown off as a modern day freak show, generating
huge profit for its creators... I for one would rather keep the image of wooly mamoths in my
imagination than see some hideous mutant being paraded around.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321I for one would rather keep the image of wooly mamoths in my
imagination than see some hideous mutant being paraded around.

Im on the fence atm but I have to admit the sound of 'hideous mutants being paraded around' isn't the most appealing

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Somebody will make a herd of wooly mammoths...

And it will be a matter of time before they feed a wooly mammoth.....ground up wooly mammoth and create Mad Wooly Mammoth disease.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Somebody will make a herd of wooly mammoths...

And it will be a matter of time before they feed a wooly mammoth.....ground up wooly mammoth and create Mad Wooly Mammoth disease.

very true s4u

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

It's more likely the Chinese will start breeding them to sell the ground up tusk as an aphrodisiac or to increase longevity.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

you could be right there
sounds like their better off extinct!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Incredible! Lets just hope we can keep this fully preserved in its natural state.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

S&F, nice find. it's kind of sad to know that long ago it got just a tad bit too cold for creatures like this.

by the way, also nice avatar and love your quote line!

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by schitzoandro
reply to post by Versa

S&F, nice find. it's kind of sad to know that long ago it got just a tad bit too cold for creatures like this.

It still puzzles me how the cold front hit SO fast that Mammoths were frozen on the spot....

Originally posted by schitzoandro
by the way, also nice avatar and love your quote line!

Thank you

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Versa

Even it's preserved corpse is even cute!
I Can't imagine how beautiful that creature was in life.
The mammoth is one creature I would be happy to see roam this earth once more.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Great find by the herder. BUT,,,,,,,,,,Did you ever think that these aminals just evolved into something like an elephant, or that they became extinct for a reason.
So like Pervius suggested, what if they had some sort of disease that effected them and which could effect us all.

Once again , great story , but leave the past in the past.

edit on 22-8-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

It's more likely the Chinese will start breeding them to sell the ground up tusk as an aphrodisiac or to increase longevity.

Come on! You think they'll waste strong cylindrical appendages on something like longevity?

They'll grind them, eat them, and re-enact their favorite South Park episode, while pretending THEY'RE the American's admiring the "men with the big Chinese...".

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
It still puzzles me how the cold front hit SO fast that Mammoths were frozen on the spot....

In which case you may find this an interesting read.

The Revision of Ancient History - A Perspective

<<   2  3 >>

join