It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to make bow tie pasta w/ pics!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have been making pasta like CRAZY since I got my pasta maker at a thrift store. I have made all kinds of pasta with it. It makes it so much easier and I prefer to make flavored pasta that way I don't always have to use sauce, it can just be olive oil and parm cheese because the pasta itself has the flavor.

So today I decided to make bow tie pasta

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd441fedf23b.jpg[/atsimg]

Basic Pasta Dough

Ingredients
4 cups of flour plus some on the side (all purpose or semolina)
5 eggs lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup water

Directions
Mix the flour and salt in a bowl

Then make a well like so in the bowl:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9837045c9614.jpg[/atsimg]
(not my pic, forgot to take a pic of that step. just do this in the bowl)

After you make a well add the eggs like in the picture then fold the flour into the eggs and add 1/4 cup of the water and the 1 1/2 tbs EVOO. Mix til it starts to turn into a sticky dough then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead. Knead about 5-7mins. Add the remaining water IF needed (usually it is) and more flour to make it like a soft sticky elastic dough. It is nice to have it slightly sticky. It takes work with the kneading to get it right so be patient. It will come out great!

How to knead pasta/bread dough

I agree with other comments the end where she says it's ready when the dough doesn't spring back, no, it's better when it DOES spring back when you press on it.
It's much easier to work with when it's like that!

Ok after you are done kneading the dough form it into a ball and cover with saran wrap that is lightly coated in olive oil and wrap the dough and let sit for about an hour. You can let it sit over night too but you should let it sit at least 30 mins in a cool dry place before rolling and cutting.

One you have let it sit cut into three separate pieces (easier to work with).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ffcd7b96429.jpg[/atsimg]

Take one piece of the dough and put through a pasta maker to get the right thinness you desire OR if you don't have a pasta maker you can roll the dough out with a rolling pin. I have done both

Once it is rolled out lightly brush with flour and let sit for about 10 mins.

Next cut into strips and then into sections like so:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd973e33c73d.jpg[/atsimg]

The take one rectangle and pinch in the middle:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bede56c0f112.jpg[/atsimg]

Next take a fork to make the pretty indents
I don't have the tool for it and a fork is free!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1a8d24f669d1.jpg[/atsimg]

Then VOILA you have bow tie pasta

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ac876ad189a.jpg[/atsimg]

Let them sit for about 10mins again once complete and then put in a zip lock baggie and put in the fridge or you can freeze them for up to a year!

You cook them the same you would regular pasta. Water, boil, put the pasta in let cook til done, about 10mins and serve.

I had planned on making a few other pastas today to keep on hand BUT I pulled my back
kneading the pasta dough. I have a bad back already and well it seems all the cooking I've done this week and work have caught up to me lol I actually find it hilarious as I type this with my heating pad on my back

Here is the site I used pics from and this site also has a great how to and it also has a pasta recipe, mine is different but pasta recipes are rarely the exact same lol

Enjoy!!

Homemade Bowtie Pasta How to With Pics

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
awesome! I bet they're delish...have you ever been here? or here?

you may like both of them...I wish I had a pasta maker. I do have a kitchen aide mixer but the pasta attachment is pretty expensive though..maybe someday!
edit on 21-8-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
awesome MBLAH!

would it be to much to ask ..

for a pic of your pasta maker?

pretty please...

I would like to see what kind it is ..

sense you praise it so much..

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Wow! You do love your pasta.

Bowtie has always been my favorite pasta, so thanks for posting. I'll see to it that it gets good use.

Shoot, now I can't get Bowtie & Marinara out of my head. With some Garlic Bread on the side. And some really good Chianti or Barbera wine.

Mmmmmm.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Hessling because: Cruddy spelling

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
awesome! I bet they're delish...have you ever been here? or here?

you may like both of them...I wish I had a pasta maker. I do have a kitchen aide mixer but the pasta attachment is pretty expensive though..maybe someday!
edit on 21-8-2011 by Neopan100 because: (no reason given)

I found both my table top mixer and pasta maker at a thrift store. If you have any local Good Wills or second hand stores like a thrift shop go to their kitchen section! I see pasta makers all the time of all styles. I actually lucked out and found a really good Marcato Italian one. I love it! It clams to the counter however it only fits on two spots on the counter and they are corners so it's awkward rolling it out lol.

I have found many things in thrift stores that I couldn't afford to buy. My pots and pans, cast iron skillets all my mixers, wok, waffle iron and so on are all from second hand stores. I love to cook and can't afford to buy all the things i want so I go to the thrift stores with my friend once a week. We find great kitchen deals! It becomes addicting and one store the cute little old ladies who work there call me the cute girl that loves to cook. LOL They just ask for pics for what I make. Next week Im going to bring them some bread

Those sites are AWESOME! I haven't seen those! I have them up and will be bookmarking them. I love cooking sites! Thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
awesome MBLAH!

would it be to much to ask ..

for a pic of your pasta maker?

pretty please...

I would like to see what kind it is ..

sense you praise it so much..

I actually made a thread on my pasta maker and the kind hahaha!
Marcato Pasta Maker

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

hehehe..

I guess i missed it..

but thanks!

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
Wow! You do love your pasta.

Bowtie has always been my favorite pasta, so thanks for posting. I'll see to it that it gets good use.

When I had braces for five years I couldn't really eat spaghetti, it was always getting stuck! I switched to bow tie and elbow and bow tie became a favorite. I think it looks better in presentation too!

Yes I do love my pasta
I think it's the Italian or Sicilian in me

Shoot, now I can't get Bowtie & Marinara out of my head. With some Garlic Bread on the side. And some really good Chianti or Barbera wine.

Mmmmmm.
edit on 21-8-2011 by Hessling because: Cruddy spelling

LOL I decided to make bow tie because of a sauce I put together the other day. I thought it would go great with bow tie pasta and grilled chicken cut into strips. I will post that recipe later

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I am ADDICTED to both of those sites

Plus it gets me away from the doom and gloom on here - a nice break I guess..

Another good site is smitten kitchen..she make everything by hand..I bet she would have some good sauce recipes too. Enjoy..

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I just went to your kitchen link..

I am flattered that you put my Mushroom recipe on there..

thank you..

really nice site too..

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
I just went to your kitchen link..

I am flattered that you put my Mushroom recipe on there..

thank you..

really nice site too..

Thanks

Well I had to share it, everyone loved it! I said in my post on here about my kitchen blog that I would post the recipes of members I have tried on my site and link back to ATS.

Everyone LOVED those mushrooms as you know. My roommate ALWAYS suggests you do something to every dish yet with your stuffed mushroom recipe he said nothing and practically ate my whole english muffin with it lol. (I tried that like you said) EVIL! lol

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I used a little bit of the mushroom mix in my twice baked potato also..

was that a hit? you bet it was..

give that a try....

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
IMO the easiest way to mix the dough is in the food processor(cuisinart), throw in the ingredients and let er rip, when the dough is just 1 big ball bouncing around in there it is ready to roll out.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
IMO the easiest way to mix the dough is in the food processor(cuisinart), throw in the ingredients and let er rip, when the dough is just 1 big ball bouncing around in there it is ready to roll out.

I dont like machines for making pasta or bread. They seem to never come out the same and take more time than needed.

Back before they had machines they used their hands which imo gets the best results.

When you do it by hand more energy goes into it. It's hard to explain lol but i do know many who like the method you choose. I think it's just all about preference and what you are use to.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
you forgot to mention that the secret is to put passion in the pushin! (meaning the kneeding of course)

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
you forgot to mention that the secret is to put passion in the pushin! (meaning the kneeding of course)

Hahaha yea that passion in the kneading has caused me to be immobile....STILL!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I also just purchased a pasta maker at a thrift store.... just this morning was thinking about making ravioli for dinner tonight!

I am going to have my bread machine do all of the mixing and kneading for me though.... will let you all know how it turns out!

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Fresh pasta can cook much faster than 10 minutes...thicker bowtie could take more but 10 minutes seems like a lot for fresh pasta.

I always prefer aldente

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
I also just purchased a pasta maker at a thrift store.... just this morning was thinking about making ravioli for dinner tonight!

I am going to have my bread machine do all of the mixing and kneading for me though.... will let you all know how it turns out!

Oh awesome! I hope it turned out for you

One day I'm sure I will get a bread machine when my hands won't allow me to knead it anymore.. I like kneading the dough, it's a nice way to relieve stress and to me it's putting "love" into your food by making it yourself and using all your energy to get that flour and egg to form. As you know if you have done it by hand it can be a pain at times!

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by RightWingAvenger

Fresh pasta can cook much faster than 10 minutes...thicker bowtie could take more but 10 minutes seems like a lot for fresh pasta.

I always prefer aldente

It depends on the thickness of the pasta. Mine were pretty thick and had to cook longer. My fettucini and other pastas cook in about 7mins but my thicker ones like this and shells take longer, but again that is personal preference based on how thick the pasta is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join