It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Combat Rifle of all time.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Swanfilters

hUmmm, never been a fan of the L85A1/A2. But then I was brought up on the SLR. My secondary weapon was the 7.62 LMG. The SLR never let me down. However, when I converted to the L85A1/A2, I had numerous problems with stoppages and various malfunctions. It never performed well in the desert and I finally ended up slinging it over my back and reverting to my 9mm pistol.

I hope that it has undergone modification since then.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Mine has got to be the M21 Tactical, it's a M14 Sniper Version mine has a Leupold 10x40 Scope

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Favorite? Whatever shoots the .700 Nitro Express.

en.wikipedia.org...

The .700 Nitro Express is a big game rifle cartridge made by Holland & Holland, London, England. It was developed in 1988 by Jim Bell and William Feldstein and built by H&H.

In many respects this cartridge parallels the .600 Nitro Express, in that it is essentially a scaled-up version of that cartridge, but is somewhat more powerful, and fires a heavier 1000-grain (64.8 g) bullet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17dec0232b80.jpg[/atsimg]

www.vincelewis.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10658e55a810.jpg[/atsimg]

Dinosaur combat
edit on 8-9-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Rapid fire?...Hard to use something like that in a firefight...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't think the .700 Nitro Express is an optimal combat rifle round lol

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

you do realize that the price of those rounds is $250-350 for a box of 5, right? sure, it can kill a rhino, but can you afford to?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
If I could only have one it would be an M-14. But if I could have a second one it would be an M-4. Still more? A Remington M-700 in .308 with a serious piece of glass, followed by a Benelli M4 shotgun and several handguns in major calibers.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wasco2

Great minds think alike except I prefer the FN-SLP autoloader 12....good preparations

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by therealwolf90

I recently got to test out an original issue K98. It was a hell of a bang.

As far as the G36 is concerned, I'm no fan of it. It's design forces the recoil upward instead of straight back. If you want your weapon to stay on target, the G36 is not for you. Unfortunately not a weapon I would consider replacing my M4 with as far as 5.56mm systems are concerned.
edit on 10-9-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Again,Springfield M1A National Match...if you can see it,you can kill it...really...what else to do you need?Serious business

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm unable to be content with choosing just one favorite combat rifle of all time. While the AK-47 is my favorite of all time, the FN FAL would have to be my favorite rifle of all time that I'd like to own personally

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The AK is durable, no question about that, but it isn't very accurate, and it's heavy.

The M1 is an amazing rifle, but it's loading method was for the birds. I'd hate to be in a foxhole after firing 5 shots and have 3 guys charging me.

The Winchester repeater doesn't have many flaws, it's accurate and reliable, but it's much slower to shoot than the others and a bit long and clunky.

I may take some heat for this but the M-16A2 has my vote. I own 4 variations and they're all great rifles.

The best way to tell is to look at what the private contractors are using, they can use whatever they want, and they choose the M-16. The .223 round is the most versatile round in modern combat, equally good at 25 yards and 500 yards, and it's smaller and lighter, so you can carry more ammo.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1044InProgress
As I stated in another thread:

The FN FAL has got to be the greatest all-round battle rifle made.

I sold mine after 2 years, hated that ungainly piece of junk.

I bought it for deer hunting, before MN allowed .223, and I really can't say anything nice about it. I kept the iron sights because I hunt in mixed density brush/woods and they are nowhere near as nice as the Colt peep sight.

There are 5 of us who shoot together at our club and we've all owned one at one time or another, but not anymore.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I'll second that.

The FAL is inaccurate, jam happy, and it can't handle the recoil it was designed to sustain...Not even an AK has as much muzzle rise as the FAL does.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, there goes my FAL fantasies

Guess I'll get an AK then, it was my original favorite one to get. The thought of a .308 was more appeasing, but the 7.62x39 will do just fine though. Now to choose which AK to get. I'd like a AK-103, but doubt I can get one in the U.S.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The AK-47. Hands down the best OVERALL combat rifle I've experienced.

I have plenty of rifles, and by and far my favorite of all of them is my custom made AMD-65 under folder. It's a standard Inter Ordnance pre-ban AK receiver with an AMD-65 barrel and gas tube. Pre-ban internal parts kit with a modified piston for the shorter barreled stroke. The trigger group was replaced with Tapco double hook hammer and disconnector. The vertical foregrip has been removed and replaced with gallil furniture with a weaver rail. A custom butt block was milled and fitted to house a hungarian AKM-63 underfolding stamped stock so the whole rifle when folded up is very compact.

It is lighter than my AR-15 which is a Charles Daily receiver with RRA 16"barrel and A3 upper and a Daniel Defense BCG with YHM diamond cut freefloat and a Magpul CTR/V stock. The YHM fore grip is aluminum so it adds quite a bit of weight. DPMS internal parts kit and a standard pistol grip.

But the important information is that at 150 meters, they shoot the same. I get the same grouping. The AK is actually smoother when shooting, re-aquire is easier and the stamped folding stock is wider than the Magpul stock so the recoil is more evenly distributed. The muzzle flash on the AK is as you can guess TREMENDOUS!!!
My sons call it the Dragon. It belches out fire in star bursts that you could roast hot dogs with.

Here is the big difference.
When I bought the new fire control group from Tapco, it didn't come with a new dis connector spring. The original dis connector spring was slightly longer and thinner than the newest one I got from MississippiAutoArms.
So when I put it back in with the Tapco FCG, the first round that fired and reset the action SHATTERED that spring into a million tiny fragments.

Even with a missing dis connector spring causing hammer follow, I had to manually reset the action every 5-6 rounds fired. With a component completely missing my Ak still operates up to 70% of how reliable my AR-15 is.

Pull that spring from an AR-15 and get it to cycle rounds on it's own!!!

I love my AR. I truly do. It is cool and impressive and all my friends like to shoot it and handle it. But when the SHTF, That AK is the one that is leaving with me on a sling over my shoulder. The AR will still be in it's nice protective case and it will be the prize with which I barter the beginning of my new life. But my AK will be what protects me on my way to sell the AR for rice and goats LOL.

Oddly enough the gun I own that my friends ask to shoot the most is my M44 Mosin/Nagant. They love that thing. Can't get enough of that giant sized BOOM and the way that the steel core Czek ammo will split 50 pound rocks in half.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Favorite? Whatever shoots the .700 Nitro Express.

en.wikipedia.org...

The .700 Nitro Express is a big game rifle cartridge made by Holland & Holland, London, England. It was developed in 1988 by Jim Bell and William Feldstein and built by H&H.

In many respects this cartridge parallels the .600 Nitro Express, in that it is essentially a scaled-up version of that cartridge, but is somewhat more powerful, and fires a heavier 1000-grain (64.8 g) bullet.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/17dec0232b80.jpg[/atsimg]

www.vincelewis.net...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/10658e55a810.jpg[/atsimg]

Dinosaur combat

wow, looks cool stufff.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

You can get a true Russian 103 in semi-auto for roughly 400 bucks.

Or you can order the parts kit for 1-- or 200.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
What are your thoughts on the AK103 as opposed to the AK47? I grew up in Venezuela, and the main rifle in use is the AK-103. I can't find much on the 103, but it looks slightly better in quality and is rumored to be more accurate than the 47.

For $200 - $400, I'd seriously consider it. I was under the impression they were going for around $800.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

The technology hasn't changed much. The only differences are the coatings on the internal parts. Kits are always cheaper because you have to build them yourself. However, if you want a brand new one still in the box and shipped to you from Russia then you can expect to pay about 800 for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join