It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala warranty repairs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala warranty repairs.

mobile.reuters.com

NEW YORK, Aug 19 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) is seeking to dismiss a lawsuit over a suspension problem on more than 400,000 Chevrolet Impalas from the 2007 and 2008 model years, saying it should not be responsible for repairs because the flaw predated its bankruptcy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What do you guys make of this? I'm pretty sure if this is true GM just signed it's own death certificate. What kind or customer relations is that? I read somewhere else that they already fixed the police cars. I'm pretty sure Obama guaranteed no warranties would be effected. Good thing I drive a 09 and it's not an impala.

mobile.reuters.com

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
sounds like another instance of corporations stickin it to public, or its customers, they probably figure, a person has a 07 08 car, they change cars every 6 years, we will be in business only one more year so whats the point. Screw GM, they are a crap company for so many reasons, and the idiots that buy Cadillac are retards.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
GM and Chrysler are both in their death beds. So many people swear they will never buy from them again. We have been a family with a long history of purchasing GM vehicles. GM no longer has our loyalty. We will purchase Ford or even foreign vehicles from here on out. These car companies no longer stand for the American Dream.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
There's a reason why american car companies are going broke year after year: The majority of people stopped buying their cars.

Overpriced with barebones standard options, crappy warrantees, lack of longevity, neverending recalls, poor customer service, etc etc.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by drfresh

I'd say GM is delusional if it thinks the public will trust buying their products again. Who is to say a car bought today won't be the subject of revoked or ignored service issues a few years from now? Why risk it? They are far from the only peddlers of 4 wheel transportation these days and they aren't even very good at it anymore.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
GM spends millions of dollars on advertising their POS but won't honor a warranty...

What clever marketing

edit on 20-8-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I pretty much agree with you guys. Although the caddy cts-v is sweet so are vettes the problem is they cost like 70k min. Unfortunately they sell crap to us north americans. In Australia, Europe and the Middle East they actually have some pretty nice cars.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The cars made in the U.S are mostly crap anyway. I watch Top Gear on BBC America and a lot of the cars made for the average driver over there are the equal of our "muscle" cars. The companies pull stuff like this and then whine when they go bankrupt.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drfresh

as much as i'd love to see consumers, fleet purchasing/renting/leasing companies and townships remember this news and no longer purchase GM motor vehicles i'm too used to an America with a 5 minute memory span. Americans will be rewarded by getting screwed over at personal expense once again.

GM / their lawyers actions will mean nothing the next time their over-paid well educated executives run the business right into the ground. their friends in Washington DC will again bail them out, and when the big checks arrive the executives will reward themselves with raises, bonuses and sweet stock options.

at one time Americans were raised with morals and values. IMHO the Ivy League schools of higher learning tossed aside personal beliefs that formed students into future captains of industry that could walk with their heads held high. concepts like 'doing the right thing' were abandoned long ago in favor of securing a profitable return on investment at any cost. this toxic and corrosive greed mind-set quickly became adopted by lesser colleges and universities in the 1950's.

shame on the whole lot of them. they don't deserve the blessings on their plates.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
ok so gm will not keep there word warranties, what about chrysler and jeep on there life time drive train warranties? i know of one person that got one just for that. just woundering

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by drfresh

What do you guys make of this? I'm pretty sure if this is true GM just signed it's own death certificate. What kind or customer relations is that? I read somewhere else that they already fixed the police cars. I'm pretty sure Obama guaranteed no warranties would be effected. Good thing I drive a 09 and it's not an impala.

mobile.reuters.com
GM has a long history of stiffing it's customers you just don't hear about it. Back in the 90's they had problem with thier trucks dying shortly after their warrenty ran out.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by wantsome

Originally posted by drfresh

mobile.reuters.com
GM has a long history of stiffing it's customers you just don't hear about it. Back in the 90's they had problem with thier trucks dying shortly after their warrenty ran out.

now dont manufactures engineer things so they only work for a limited amount of time. just so it dosnt last forever and u will got back to the dealer for the repairs. its all about money money money, no getting away from that.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching411
GM and Chrysler are both in their death beds. So many people swear they will never buy from them again. We have been a family with a long history of purchasing GM vehicles. GM no longer has our loyalty. We will purchase Ford or even foreign vehicles from here on out. These car companies no longer stand for the American Dream.

what exactly is a 'foreign' vehicle?

Is it a GM or Ford thats made in canada, mexico, brazil, etc...? Or is it a Honda, Toyota, or Mitsubishi built in the states?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by drfresh

It is not just this. A year or so before Pontiac went under there were massive bulletins sent out of a Recall Notice of dubious nature.. It pertained to MY CAR 2002 pontiac grand prix GTP (supercharged v-6). GM Knew that the motors caught fire and people had been burned alive!!!

The recall letter said (in simple terms)..." we know there is a safety hazard..we don't have a solution yet, but when we do we will notify you...you should use another vehicle until we do...driving vehicle could be hazardous...

the engine was put into regal gt, park avenue ultra, bonneville ssi, grand prix gtp.....

and then before the recall was completed they went belly up...

I refused to allow my wife and kids in the car.. quit making payments..I had to find another car..money was tight.. GM refuses to reimburse me anything..EVEN THOUGH they admit the hazard, agree cars are dangerous, and it was prudent to get another car...

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Why would anyone buy American?

Wasnt it Ford who decided to let people die a few decades ago because cars caught fire rather than fix the problem.

Paying out for the deaths was cheaper than a recall.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Without going into why I think the American auto industry (as currently systemized) is doomed to fail, the short of it is that we should have just let companies like Chrysler/GM go under ...After the poor quality of manufacture, warranty, and customer service I received from 2 auto manufacturers on the list, I'm seething that my tax dollars went to their bail-out. I will never buy another American car again. The OP's article just re-affirms that ...

You would think after we the American people bailed them out they would be a little more flexible on these issues, if for no other reason, just out of gratefulness. But I guess that's just a naive thought. Did they ever at the very least say "thank you" to us?!?

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I will never purchase a GM car again, ever.
That's too bad because I love Chevy trucks.

GMAC was a major player in the tanking of mortgages, through mortgage backed securities, and the entire bailout of GM was to prop up their banking arm, in which GM workers benefits and pensions were tied up.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who lost a home through foreclosure, and still considers a GM product, is just supporting the criminals that took their home in the first place.

(Four letter word) GM.

top topics

join