It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked RSA data points to Sino-cyber espionage ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Leaked RSA data points to Sino-cyber espionage ring

news.hitb.org

A massive Pastebin dump of domain names and IP addresses supposedly linked to a cyber espionage ring appears to be the real deal.

The Pastebin dump, dated August 15, lists around 850 entries containing domain names and IP addresses, supposedly leaked by "RSA Employee #15666". The dump asserts the IP addresses and domain names listed are used in command and control operations by a cyber-espionage ring.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Yikes!

There seems to be a very alarming realization coming to the forefront of the 'hactivism' we have been seeing recently...

"My sincerest apologies go out to those with ongoing monitoring operations on any of the IP addresses involved," the dump reads. "These attacks have targeted US and Canadian companies almost exclusively for at least five years... and continue to be extremely effective." The dump claims the operation targets include private US defence firms. The dump also makes the explosive claim that many of the IP addresses are monitored by private information security companies "...for the purpose of supplying stolen information back to the affected companies."

((emphasis mine))

Apparently this data dump tells us something about what the plethora of IT security companies are involved with.... sometimes..... as the perpetrators, instead of the defenders.

Go figure!

news.hitb.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They can do espionage online now !?
And here I'm thinking I need to go outside to crime. I knew cyber crime was big but.......I had no idea how big. Other than the paedophiles, prostitution and things like that. I was raised old-school in a high tech world. Wow

That is pretty disturbing though, makes you think what else were they doing also. Hopefully this won't be another wiki-leaks. None of us can take that
edit on 19-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I was kind of surprised myself. I would have thought that espionage of this sort would involve fake IP addresses.... they must be a cocky bunch!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Ha that's what i would think myself.

My main question is, what kind of information are they stealing?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by doom27
reply to post by Maxmars

Ha that's what i would think myself.

My main question is, what kind of information are they stealing?

From the snippet

"These attacks have targeted US and Canadian companies almost exclusively for at least five years... and continue to be extremely effective."

Sounds to me like either organized foreign governmental or highly influencial corporate interests...
I would guess by the targets and language it is simply to cause damage and steal secrets...typical corporate warfare to provoke a bit of instability in north america

Sounds to me thought that the solution is easy...just stop using the IP addys in question...switch already and beef up security

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

They steal as much info as possible in the day and age the more information you have the more power you have. the main targets will be industrial secrets such as new tech designs and that kind of stuff. But even small things such as cv`s and other human resource info can be useful for future attacks.

This kind of thing will continue to happen as long as the internet and computers exists because all software is made by humans which means there will always be security holes in it becuase we are not perfect. not to mention the social engineering aspect of hacking sometimes you can just phone the target and ask nicely for login info and they give it to you.

new topics

top topics

join