It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goldman Sachs VP Changed Name, Now a Top Congressional Staffer

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Goldman Sachs VP Changed Name, Now a Top Congressional Staffer

www.truth-out.orgwww.truth-out.org... a/1

ThinkProgress has found that a Goldman Sachs vice president changed his name, then quietly went to work for Issa to coordinate his effort to thwart regulations that affect Goldman Sachs’ bottom line....In a few short years, Haller went from being in charge of dealing with regulators for Goldman Sachs to working for Congress in a position where he made official demands from regulators overseeing his old firm.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-8-2011 by wildtimes because: to fix the link??

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Well, well, well.
I knew Jamie Dimon was whining about the new regulations, but had no clue that Goldman Sachs (one of the biggest problem banks as I understand it), now has a mole on the House Oversight Committee!!

This guy (mug shot on page) is using an alias and waltzed right in to work for the Committee that's supposed to make things more DIFFICULT for the banks.

Next thing we'll hear that entire Committees are made up of undercover banksters?

ATS, please help me understand this iceberg. All I have is one little tray of cubes, and half of those are evaporated.

sigh. and faceplam.
www.truth-out.org...

[(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-8-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You think the freaking police will go arrest this guy?
Not gonna happen in a million years... since it has not happened after all the bankers have done since 2008 and before... stealing trillions... and congress being openly paid by the bankers to give them loophole, bail them out, etc...

Changing your name to go lobby so you are anonymous... brilliant...

A little mob lynching business would certainly be fun to watch... since the corrupt cops and corrupt judges won't do their damn job.

Serve and protect... who exactly? The bankers? The cops should change their mantra...

``Serve and protect... the bankers`` should be written on every cop car in America.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah, he was even investigated before on grounds of conflict of interest...

It’s not the first time Haller has worked the revolving door to help out Goldman Sachs. According to a report by the nonpartisan Project on Government Oversight, Haller — then known as Peter Simonyi — left the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in 2005 to work for Goldman Sachs, then quickly began lobbying his colleagues at the SEC on behalf of his new firm. At one point, Haller was compelled to issue a letter to the SEC claiming he did not violate ethics rules.

Now I wish I'd passed on my breakfast of left-over rigatoni from last night. Not settling well at all.
This makes me sick to my stomach. Goldman Sachs also helped AmEx slide sort of in its socks through the backdoor to China...with some fancy shuffle-toe-heel moves they dreamed up.

Uggg. GHHhaaaaa!!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Just when you think Goldman Sachs can get no more ridiculous...

I mean this is truly insane. There is no freaking oversight of anything, quis custodiet ipsos costodes, Elvis has left the building my friends. I now pronounce finance "unhinged."

I wash my hands of this...filth. The edifice will collapse of its own evil weight in due time.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

As I recall from reading other posts of yours, silent thunder, you are rather savvy to the markets and did quite well with your efforts....another meaning for "Green Thumb", perhaps??

So, do you know if there are more corporates IN government?

Shouldn't there be a separation of BUSINESS and STATE?? Isn't there????

WTF!

In June of this year, ThinkProgress broke the story about Issa’s own complicated relationship with Goldman Sachs. We revealed that Issa purchased a large amount of Goldman Sachs high yield bonds at the same time as he used the Oversight Committee to attack an investigation into allegations that Goldman Sachs had systematically defrauded investors leading up to the financial crisis. This conflict of interests, along with our exclusive story about Issa’s earmarks benefitting his own real estate empire,received coverage in a recent piece by the New York Times

Apparently this charlatan has filled his committee with this type of humanoid. And he has turned what is supposed to protect the people from corporate scandal into an internal lobby FOR them.

When he took over the chairmanship of the Oversight Committee this year, Issa dramatically shifted the committee’s focus away from its traditional role of investigating major corporate scandals. Instead, Issa has used the committee to mergethe responsibilities of Congress with the interests of K Street and Issa’s own fortune.

So, what do we do??
How can we stop this?
Does Ron Paul know? Isn't he at this point our ONLY Johnny-on-the-Spot??
Are these committee hearings open or closed? Can a plain old citizen go in and listen?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Wow, and here people were responding to "Corporations have infiltrated the government" with "You're a tin-foil hat wearing kook!"

But then, suddenly, a small tidbit of truth comes out...

The most tragic part of this is the fact (I said fact) that this is not only common practice, (although the name change is a melodramatic touch), but our politician celebrity meat puppets are eagerly enabling the migration from the way things are supposed to be, to the way the captains of industry want them to be.... why? Because it keeps them in the glorious spotlight with someone to pay for politically aggrandizing glitzy media coverage.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
People, when we're all at the point where we are fully involved collecting acorns and squirrel meat to survive, please don't forget about things like this. Because these same people are going to try to reshuffle the system and put themselves back on the top of any emerging re-org of society. We can't let it happen. We need to eat these people and possibly their young if there is any hope for the future. It is out-of-control. Nothing short of a Ctrl-Alt-Del is going to fix things.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Well I do what I can.

At the moment I am very heavy into hard assets (physical holdings of commodities plus ariable land) or small companies that I know personally (like security companies). Although I keep a certain amount in play in forex too. The forex markets are too big for any single player to manipulate; I like that. But I have never had anything to do with the big investment houese, private equity firms, etc. I'd as soon hack off my arm as trust them with a dime of my hard-earned cash. Not that this is to be construed as advice of course. This works for me right now, it might not work for anyone in five minutes, the way things are rocking and rolling.

As to the interpenetration of public and private sectors, well, Benito Mussolini said: "Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power." He ought to know. So ought we...

edit on 8/19/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
These big banks will really do anything to get what they want. Luckily their time is running out and their shenanigans are being brought to light now. Issa should be kicked out from his position as he doesn't have the moral ascendancy to lead the Oversight Committee.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ugh! I was wondering where the catch was with Issa and his "Tough questions" for the banksters. Now I know.
More disabuse of the public for personal gain.
I can't tell who works for Wall street and who works for the government anymore.
Is there any distinction left besides who signs the paycheck?
(the taxpayers pay it, just wondering who signs it)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
More on Goldman Sachs dirty game playing:

Here is the cause of the 2008 food riots/starvation – Goldman Sachs POLITICS!

#1. 1995 Clinton appoints the VP of Cargill, Dan Amstutz as senior trade delegate. Amstutz writes the World Trade Organization Agreement on Ag. It got rid of tariffs protecting farmers and opened borders to contaminated food.

#2. Amstutz writes 1996 farm bill called Freedom to Farm (Freedom to Fail Act) that over produces very cheap grain. The law also change US grain reserve policy so by 2008 "The cupboard is bare"

#3. Amstutz goes to work for Goldman Sachs.

#4. Gramm, head of the CFTC, helped firms such as Goldman Sachs gain influence over the commodity markets. At the end of 2006, food prices across the world started to rise, suddenly. Wheat had shot up by 80 per cent, maize by 90 per cent, rice by 320 per cent.

“....Then, in spring 2008, prices just as mysteriously fell back to their previous level. Jean Ziegler, the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Food, calls it “a silent mass murder”, entirely due to “man-made actions.” Through the 1990s, Goldman Sachs and others lobbied hard and the regulations [controlling agricultural futures contracts] were abolished. Suddenly, these contracts were turned into “derivatives” that could be bought and sold among traders who had nothing to do with agriculture. A market in “food speculation” was born. The speculators drove the price through the roof....” www.independent.co.uk...

#5. In 2008 Monsanto and Cargill report record breaking profits. USDA reports “The cupboard is bare” we have no more grain reserves.

“...Today three companies, Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, and Bunge control the world’s grain trade. Chemical giant Monsanto controls three-fifths of seed production. Unsurprisingly, in the last quarter of 2007, even as the world food crisis was breaking, Archer Daniels Midland’s profits jumped 20%, Monsanto 45%, and Cargill 60%. Recent speculation with food commodities has created another dangerous “boom.” After buying up grains and grain futures, traders are hoarding, withholding stocks and further inflating prices....” www.globalissues.org...

In 2010 : Fmr. President Clinton Apologizes for Trade Policies that Destroyed Haitian Rice Farming – “We Made a Devil’s Bargain”

“...President Bill Clinton, now the UN Special Envoy to Haiti, publicly apologized last month for forcing Haiti to drop tariffs on imported, subsidized US rice during his time in office. The policy wiped out Haitian rice farming and seriously damaged Haiti’s ability to be self-sufficient....” www.democracynow.org...
Sure looks like politics had a lot more to do with food prices then farmers did!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

A little mob lynching business would certainly be fun to watch... since the corrupt cops and corrupt judges won't do their damn job....

I have been collecting feathers... I understand you can buy 5 gal buckets of roofing tar REAL cheap at Lowes or Home Depot...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Mmm hmm. Remember you and I discussing "hydraulic despotism"?

A hydraulic empire (also known as a hydraulic despotism, or water monopoly empire) is a social or government structure which maintains power and control through exclusive control over access to water. It arises through the need for flood control and irrigation, which requires central coordination and a specialized bureaucracy.[1]

Often associated with these terms and concepts is the notion of a water dynasty. This body is a political structure which is commonly characterized by a system of hierarchy and control often based around class or caste. Power, both over resources (food, water, energy) and a means of enforcement such as the military are vital for the maintenance of control.
en.wikipedia.org...
If one has control of the requirements to survive, he has control of everything.

My mom has an ethics theory that I completely agree with, notwithstanding we have heretofor disagreed on many issues in politics....
Food and Water should be FREE to EVERYONE. Just like sunlight and fresh air. Good grief.

I recently finished re-reading the Dune series from the prequel (written not long ago) House Atriedes, through the first five of the series. I highly recommend this series of classic sci-fi as it encompasses precisely the same issues facing our species today on this planet, and has incredibly insightful philosophy in it. Many times while reading I dog-eared a page to post a passage here...
Perhaps today is the day.

from page 108 of Children of Dune (book 3 of the original trilogy ...as an intro, the Bene Gesserit are a female sect or sisterhood who has spent thousands of years seeding planets with their "protective mission". They have arrived at a summary of the condition of mankind as follows:

"A large populace held in check by a small but powerful force is quite a common situation in our universe. And we know the major conditions wherein this large populace may turn on its keepers:
"One: When they find a leader. This is the most volatile threat to the powerful; they must retain control of leaders.
Read that last sentence again, folks, before going ahead...

"Two: When the populace recognizes its chains. Keep the populace blind and unquestioning.

Ready? Did you read that one twice also? Good. Here's the last point:

"Three: When the populace percieves a hope of escape from bondage. They must never even believe that escape is possible!"

Now, I realize these were not "new" ideas, not when Frank Herbert wrote them...but when he did write them was over 40 years ago. The volume from which I pulled these was copyright 1976 - the year I graduated from high school. I read them shortly thereafter, but was far far too young to understand it at the level I do now.

I urge EVERY member here to enjoy this fascinating and topical read while your leisure time is at hand...especially if you are unemployed, or trying to avoid spending money (like I am/have been). Very eye opening. Even if you are young, read it. Savor it. And then strap yourself in, cause we are about to embark on a very wild ride.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I wonder how many paychecks he gets each month, and "bonuses".

I think I know of at least two........

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by angeldoll

Yeah, yesterday I saw some headline about Dems not accepting lobby money any more, although Reps do. Gee, I wonder if there are so many lobbyists now IN CONGRESS that they can save their money by just writing the laws themselves. Ya think?

Seriously this makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I can see that there is an advantage by having banking employees in the over sight bodies as they understand the system and know where some of the problems are. There are also huge risks due to conflicts of interest that arise from many previous relationships and where their alliances are in providing over sight. The results of their work clearly shows where their priorities are by the problems they confront and solutions they provide. Do they help make the system work in a more clear, balanced and just manner or do they promote the exploitation, corruption and keep the facts hidden?

At one point, Haller was compelled to issue a letter to the SEC claiming he did not violate ethics rules.

The purpose of this letter sounds like it completely misses the point. Being involved with many conflicting roles is a very confusing and challenging position, there are ethical grounds in any decision the employee takes. The letter should have been about identifying the conflicts of interest that are present in the role, what steps are being taken to manage these conflicts and what support can the SEC provide to assist and account for these conflicts.

Shouldn't there be a separation of BUSINESS and STATE?? Isn't there????

When money is worshipped and treated as a god, the American culture is quite clear on this one.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Do they help make the system work in a more clear, balanced and just manner

Uh, I'm thinking not.

or do they promote the exploitation, corruption and keep the facts hidden?

Yeah, that.
Why the hell would the guy change his name?
How was he part of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) which, btw, has been accused of DESTROYING RECORDS, and then go to a banking conglomerate for a few years, and then change his freaking name to go work as a Congressional staffer?

No, sorry. He is not a good guy in a white hat who got that job so he could make things more fair. He is a mole, an insider who not only KNOWS the ropes, but helped CRAFT the ropes.

Ugghh..
I will post more later regarding corruption -- at least "percieved corruption" - yesterday I found a report that made my jaw drop, but for now I'm trying to enjoy the bounty of nature, the fresh air and sunshine that doesn't cost me even the zincest penny.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
You think the freaking police will go arrest this guy?
Not gonna happen in a million years... since it has not happened after all the bankers have done since 2008 and before... stealing trillions... and congress being openly paid by the bankers to give them loophole, bail them out, etc...

Changing your name to go lobby so you are anonymous... brilliant...

A little mob lynching business would certainly be fun to watch... since the corrupt cops and corrupt judges won't do their damn job.

Serve and protect... who exactly? The bankers? The cops should change their mantra...

``Serve and protect... the bankers`` should be written on every cop car in America.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

because COPS ARE COWARDS......Or at least SCHOOLYARD BULLIES!!! They only act aggressive when they have the tactical advantage..more cops or guns, weapons than those they are after.. imagine..have you ever seen a group of cops go after an equal armed force? like 10 cops vs 10 1%'ers (outlaw bikers), no.. they will cowardly wait until their swat team arrives.. I've seen (while a federal officer) cops arrest a high ranking member of AB and then let him go after threatening to have their families killed.. Cops NEVER go after the real gangsters unless they outnumber them...

plus, who signs their paychecks??
it might hurt their career.. you know they are there for a paycheck and Not their to "protect people from bad guys"
edit on 19-8-2011 by rebeldog because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This happens entirely too much, and of course these people are unable to be objective. Why there are not laws and policies in place to stop things like this I do not know. Probably because the majority of politicians want it to continue.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join