It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sickening : mentally disabled workers paid a third of a cent an hour

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
SiCK - And this is why the US needs to stop accusing other countries of crimes against humanity when crimes against humanity are happening every day in America,. Uusing it as an excuse to increase military presence is even sicker.
Time to sort yourself out before you sort out the rest of the world.

(I know most of ya already know this)
edit on 19-8-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Hanna says the group has found many examples of workers earning low wages working at what are often called "sheltered workshops." They're places that often offer disabled persons vocational training and other personal development services. While there, many work for the company, getting job experience before they look for work in the community at large

If the headlines stated that, it wouldn't have sounded so sensational. Now, would it?

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Oh for the love of God.

These are "day programs" for the mentally ill, usually mentally retarded. They go to a program each day rather than stay home. They keep them busy, and a part of that is to have "a job".

The center goes out into the community, and locates businesses who are willing to let them come for an hour or two a day to work. They must be accompanied by a staff person.

The center "pays them". I have a group that come into my office once a week to fold handouts, which needs to be done, by the way. We don't pay them a cent. We consider them "volunteers", and they come for something to do, for socialization, and to gain some experience in a workplace.

The center that brings them, "pays them".

It's a good thing. They love it.

Now. Carry on with your misguided bashing.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Thought I would add:
When the center called my office, I went to the receptionist to see if she could find something for them to do. The job I described, was something she did, when she had some down time. Having them there can be disruptive, by the way. So you'll know.

So it's a service the workplace is providing. Not slave labor.

Why so quick to think the worse? Don't you realize any business would have been in court by now for something like that? Absurd.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
Oh for the love of God.

These are "day programs" for the mentally ill, usually mentally retarded. They go to a program each day rather than stay home. They keep them busy, and a part of that is to have "a job".

The center goes out into the community, and locates businesses who are willing to let them come for an hour or two a day to work. They must be accompanied by a staff person.

The center "pays them". I have a group that come into my office once a week to fold handouts, which needs to be done, by the way. We don't pay them a cent. We consider them "volunteers", and they come for something to do, for socialization, and to gain some experience in a workplace.

The center that brings them, "pays them".

It's a good thing. They love it.

Now. Carry on with your misguided bashing.

What you state may be true in some cases but certainly not all. I can attest to that.

I had to go to vocational rehab after an accident. There were many there in my same situation. Lost jobs due to injury and rehab time. I swear to you all of the folks there, when I was there, were eager to be back in the work force. Most busted butt for very little pay...most of the time 2.00/ hr was what it came to.

We were in a packing facility. Jobs there included:

weighing screws and other hardware, packaging and labeling them...at 1/2 ct each.
Folding sets of towels, shooting little plastic holders through them and adding a cardboard hanger. 1ct each
Shrink-wrapping various products to cardboard packaging 2ct each.

Those are some I remember.

We would practically fight over the jobs that paid the most.
Luckily I didn't need to stay there all that long and was able to get back to work. But I remember this guy there, early thirties, had just lost both his legs in an accident. He didn't want to be disabled. He was miserable there. We were all under the assumption we were training for new jobs that fit our new physical needs...not the case at all.
edit on 19-8-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

Okay, yes, I see. But you didn't have a "real" job. You had a "placement", to assit in easing you back into the workplace.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
reply to post by Vitchilo

Why so shocked? This is exactly what Republican candidates, including Ron Paul, want. The elimination of minimum wage, the removal of medicare, medicaid. I'm not sure how you can be outraged at this considering that the freemarket allows for such a thing to be.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

This is what the tea party and libertarians WANT. I'm kind of shocked this isn't some sort of celebration thread...

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
when I was a teen (not 2 long ago!)
I worked 4 1 of the bigger grocery chains. They had a handicap guy workn there / I found out 1 day that a customer shat all over the bathroom (sink /floor etc...)
The manager made this poor guy clean it all by himself / he was complaining about the mess 2 me & how he had 2 clean it all up . I was 1 of the workers who actually treated him like an actual person.
I went and talked 2 the manager who made him do this / the next week I quit because they cut my hours from 20 hours a week 2 4 hours a week

thats my reasoning 4 gettin pissed when I hear there gettn taken advantage like this.

man I was close 2 knockn that manager out but a friendly co-worker advised me that was not the way 2 handle it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join