It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Rising from Macondo Well: BP Hires Fleet of 40 Shrimp Boats to Lay Boom Around Deepwater Horizon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Why would people swim in the water, the crap they pumped in to break up and sink the oil is much worse than anything that nature could throw at us. Makes me sick BP and Congress just sweep it under the carpet, imagine the meeting Congress: The people are not buying the usual lies what will we do BP: Tell them some BS about miracle bacteria that have eaten all the oil Congress: Great stuff now about my bribe.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Perplexedandconfused

Thing is, there's a f*#k ton of water over it. If there were fissures, they would have shattered and became full-fledges bursts by now.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Funny. Dr. Michio Kaku said quite a bit about this oil well leak when it first started and said we'd still be dealing with it in 2030, and he said all this in 2010 when it first happened.
edit on 18-8-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexedandconfused
reply to post by Pervius

I went swimming near Destin, Florida this summer and I was creeped out due to the eerie-ness in the water. There was very little seaweed, shells, fish were sparse as was any type of living creature in the ocean. I snorkeled and seached but creatures were thinly dispersed. No abundance of sand dollars. It was surreal-almost like swimming in a pool with "white sand" floor and pumped in water. And very limited life. East of Panama City I found all sorts of fish, shells, a stingray and seaweed and felt much relief, but things are not right in the Gulf of Mexico, let me tell ya!

Inside a crab-all mush.

We were in Destin April 2011. The beaches of Destin are pretty barren of shells and like animals compared the areas around Panama city. there was still lots of fish but the beaches of Destin you didn't find sandollars for example. At the Beaches around Panama city you couldn't help but find sand dollars everytime you put your hand in the sand. I didn't see any evidence of oil or even leftover residue, but it was weird that you didn't find many shells along the massive beaches of Destin. I think they had to have taken some pretty drastic steps to make their beaches inviting to the public again in the Destin area. I loved the area around St. Joe's Bay south of Panama City. The sealife was VERY abundant there, in stark contrast to the Destin area. Highly recommended area for a vacation.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexedandconfused
You get an A for a great guess but I don't think they are related. Bogalusa is up in northern Louisiana and perhaps the fish die off there is related to the fracking going on in northern Louisiana?

I like your sig BTW! I was cracked me up!

Thanks, man. Wish there was more good news out there concerning this. Be well.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Is anyone really surprised!? Did anyone really think the disaster was handled appropriately!?

Remember...that expert who died mysteriously in his hot-tub always maintained that the well was virtually un-fixable.

Originally posted by pavil
I went swimming near Destin, Florida this summer and I was creeped out due to the eerie-ness in the water. There was very little seaweed, shells, fish were sparse as was any type of living creature in the ocean.

Crews are on constant stand by to sweep Destin beaches of any oil residue or dead animals. It was greatly impacted but well hidden.
edit on 18/8/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I read on the web a month or so ago about some oil possibly leaking around that area. There was also video and pics, but I can't remember what site it was on.

I wondered the same about the black tar in the Pearl River on the LA and MS state line, but there is a paper plant in Bogalusa that has already accepted responsibility for that. There is an article in the Biloxi SunHerald paper today. Although, the way things in the media are, who knows?

I think that Halliburton is as much to blame for this as BP. ?????

I think there are alot of cover ups surrounding this whole disaster; wait, I mean the gov is certainly not wasting this disaster!

I found the blog from where I had heard this recently, well in March there was a sheen of oil reported, but no news on it. Now this........

bpoilslick.blogspot.com...
edit on 18-8-2011 by hambygal because: To add a link that is relavant to the post.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Is anyone really surprised!? Did anyone really think the disaster was handled appropriately!?

Remember...that expert who died mysteriously in his hot-tub always maintained that the well was virtually un-fixable.

Originally posted by pavil
I went swimming near Destin, Florida this summer and I was creeped out due to the eerie-ness in the water. There was very little seaweed, shells, fish were sparse as was any type of living creature in the ocean.

Crews are on constant stand by to sweep Destin beaches of any oil residue or dead animals. It was greatly impacted but well hidden.
edit on 18/8/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

I did some reading about it before we vacationed there, sounds like they scrapped all the nasty sand off and brought in nice looking sand. You can do that with the tourism dollars that are involved with Destin. That would explain the lack of shells around.

Like I said, in St. Joes Bay, which looks pretty protected, things were looking good, awesome in my opinion. Now I would be interested on how the Gulf side of St. Joes Bay looks though..............

Heres a good video of when the tar balls were hitting Destin. For the record, in April 2011 you didn't see any evidence of oil other than the lack of shell fish and shells on the beach. Even at dawn with the tides going out, I didn't find many shells, which is usually the time you find shells on heavily touristed beaches.

www.huffingtonpost.com... st_n_624400.html
edit on 18-8-2011 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer99

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
If there's oil coming out of the cracks, then there's water going back in, therefore we don't need to worry about sea level rise due to global warming ice melt as any rise is cancelled out by water leaving this way.

BP have stopped the sea level rise! hurrah!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
To be quite honest, I never saw anything that would prove to me it had ever stopped leaking. So this really isn't coming to me as a shock, as terrible is it is/has been.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Son..of..a..bit... I hate OIL!

And now, the other side of the coin

The media got it wrong; BP's Macondo well remains secure

www.pennenergy.com...

BP (NYSE:BP) has issued a release to stop rumors that the Macondo well is leaking in the US Gulf of Mexico. Various media have reported that BP is investigating an oil sheen in the Gulf, responding with boats and boom. BP issued a media release saying “none of this is true.” The Macondo well was successfully capped on July 15, 2010, and all oil stopped flowing from the well then. The well was then finally and permanently cemented and sealed on Sept. 19, 2010. The Macondo well is monitored. Last week, the US Coast Guard asked BP and other operators with assets in the vicinity of Green Canyon Block 504 to investigate a reported oil sheen. BP and other operators did so, and the company concluded that the sheen is not from a BP source.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
We won't even begin to know the overall impact of the Macondo for at least a decade, probably 2!

The leaking fissures are not a huge problem, because the Gulf floor has always leaked. There are ways to recover the oil from the water, if it becomes a big problem.

The real fear here, is the massive pressure the oil was under. The pressure destroyed the well, and made the repair almost impossible. If one of the fissures becomes a blow out, then the Gulf is dead.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
perplexed,
Don't get me wrong. I like your dedication. However, let's stick to the facts. The only sources connecting the recently found sheen to the Macondo Well are internet oil spill blogs, most of which have reported very erroneous and exxaggerated things in the past.
They usually use "primary" sources that either do not check out or are misquoted.

The sheen that has been reported is not that close to the Macondo location. Now whether or not it is connected to breakages in the seafloor has not been determined but there is no evidence to suggest that is the case.

What has been seen is simply a "sheen". A sheen is not good, but neither is it something to get hyper excited about. The real Oil Spill involved thick sludge. Small sheens are relatively common, sometimes coming from large ocean going vessels or from oil platforms.

I am keeping an eye on this development, but so far, it is nothing to jump to conclusions about.

I'd really like to know who your "South Louisiana" sources are, especially when you refer to Bogalusa as being in "Northern Louisiana." It is in Southeast Louisiana, north of Lake Pontchartrain.

99% of everyone I've ever known in my life comes from South Louisiana. I have family in Houma, practically ground zero for Oil Spill issues, yet somehow I don't hear nearly as much about all these mystery sicknesses and new oil sightings that you have. Curious.

Have you even ever been to Louisiana?
Are your sources solely from the internet?

I am keeping a very nervous eye on the new development but being alarmist helps no one.
Bloggers, alarmists, and conspiracy theorists merely play into the hands of BP. By associating you with the spill, people not in the know will assume all the anti-BP evidence is a bunch of baloney when they still have much to answer for. Real stuff.

When you go into the marshes and Gulf, it isn't covered with dead animals. Exactly the opposite in fact. Do you occasionally see a dead dolphin or a dead bird floating or washed up? Sure you do. Animals die. Just because someone films a dead bird, it doesn't mean they are everywhere.

Again, South Louisiana, at least on the surface of the water is just fine. Dolphins, birds of all sorts, and fish aplenty. Was just out there 2 Mondays ago.

Dolphin mortality has been higher and occasionally someone pulls up a sickly fish, and these are connected to the spill, but it doesn't mean that the Gulf has become some poisoned barren wasteland of death.

I'm pretty familiar with the Mississippi Coast, too. Saw plenty fishing and recreation boats out there.

By no means am I towing a line for BP. Quite the opposite. Rather than some internet hobby or cause, this subject directly affects my life and those that I love and care about. A culture and lifestyle that I hope to never leave. I hate BP. I just cringe when someone, whether good intentioned or not, turns the real issues (and there are very real issues) into fantasy ones.

Please stick to facts and/or reputable sources. Primary ones.
There may be legs to this story but as of yet, the actual evidence is scant. It is a possibility that there is some connection between the sheen and last year's spill, but keep in mind there is plenty of activity in the Gulf and this may be nothing but a minor spill from another well (which happens from time to time with little effect).

Fellow Lousianians, I know some of you are on ATS, chime in please....
As for the Pearl River Paper plant spill, that is still developing too. The paper plant has taken responsibility. Now it is up to the authorities in LA and MS to hold them accountable. We'll see how that turns out. Hopefully the chemicals will dissipate and become less harmful as they reach the Lake.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
All I have to say it.....

I told you so!

I told you the oil was still leaking, I told you people were sick and getting sicker, I told you this was not over. Of course there was a nice long line of people, from areas far far away from here, who wanted to tell me I didnt know what I was talking about even though I actually live here.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
All I have to say it.....

I told you so!

I told you the oil was still leaking, I told you people were sick and getting sicker, I told you this was not over. Of course there was a nice long line of people, from areas far far away from here, who wanted to tell me I didnt know what I was talking about even though I actually live here.

Where are you located. Mr. Wendal?
And please give me some specifics of the sick people.

And here is a news story by the Times Picayune, not exactly a pro-BP publication:
www.nola.com...

Let's keep in mind, the blog that "broke" this story is written by a trial lawyer. You can't walk ten feet in the New Orleans area without seeing a billboard ad by a trial lawyer to represent victims of the spill.
Not to say BP doesn't deserve the lawsuits, but the Spillionaires have their own interests in the pumping up of "evidence".
edit on 18-8-2011 by louieprima because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I wonder how long it takes for someone to send subs back down to that well head. Not BP, but someone else. Don't we have a few Universities along the Gulf Coast who may have capabilities to do it? As much as BP doesn't want to know, everyone else absolutely needs to.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I wonder how long it takes for someone to send subs back down to that well head. Not BP, but someone else. Don't we have a few Universities along the Gulf Coast who may have capabilities to do it? As much as BP doesn't want to know, everyone else absolutely needs to.
edit on 18-8-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Any University with the resources to do any good, is already under contract with BP. BP was extremely smart in how they approached the oil spill. The first thing they did was issue a positive spin, by seeking "help" from all of the well-equipped Universities. They signed contracts and sent samples of the oil and water, and got input from their scientists.

However, in the fine print were non-disclosure clauses. All of these Universities agreed to never report any of the findings to anybody except BP.

BP got the benefit of marketing themselves as the good guy, and the further benefit of covering up any negative results!! Genius!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
myself, and 120 co-workers, worked in Mississippi on the cleanup effort from May 5th to Aug 3rd 2010. about a month into it, some of the guys began getting sick. respiratory sick. green stuff being coughed up. it went around to just about everyone, and continued to make it's progress right up until i left to go home on the 3rd. i talked to some friends i made while i was down there last night. one of them told me that he's still not right lung-wise, and his doctor says it's done permanent damage. he also said that another friend has got it worse.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
[more I think a lot, if not a majority, of us never really believed that disaster was over. I didn't think we had seen the half of it while it was the topic of last year. Those owned by BP, alledgedly humans, said they would eventually drill into that monster again. With no eyes on them all day every day who knows what they are up to? What is wrong with those people??

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join