It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukishima School Swimming Pool Contamination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Pools of radiation just sitting around in school yards! Why is no one cleaning this junk up somehow. I would not be comfortable sending my children to those contaminated schools, but what else can your average citizen do if the government isnt helping?

Radiation Contamination Leaves Fukushima Schools Unable to Drain Pool Water

Many schools in Fukushima Prefecture are at a loss over what do to with their swimming pools, which can’t be used or drained because the water is tainted with radioactive materials from the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant, it has emerged

The Education Ministry’s School Health Education Division says there are no legal guidelines for draining pool water. The ministry instructed the prefectural education board to obtain consent from farming and other related organizations when draining pool water into rivers and agricultural waterways, and the board passed the information on to schools in May, but farmers have been reluctant to allow schools to drain pool water into waterways. There are also many cases in which schools have the option of draining water into sewage lines, but they have not done so out of consideration for local residents.

Muneyuki Shindo, a former Chiba University professor, said guidelines on decontamination should be provided.

“If jurisdiction over different parts of the work is divided, then officials should measure the concentration in accordance with clear instructions from the Cabinet, and present methods of decontamination,” he said. “This is a typical scenario highlighting the government’s lack of ability to make decisions and get things done.”

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I read that article and all I can say thats some #ed up situation they are having in Japan.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

yes it is and im afraid thier problems are just starting, its gonna be a long ride after that disaster....
edit on 17-8-2011 by stonebutterfly because: spelling malfunctions

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Hey, did it ever occur to these people in charge there that just NEEDING to discuss this means the whole school and everything around it is FAR too dangerous for Children to be near for the foreseeable future?! These clowns were seriously suggesting reclamation methods to bring soil back to a state fit for human food crops WITHIN their exclusion zone. What part of half life don't they seem to be comprehending here? Wow.

So if deliberately killing a population off in war is genocide, what do they call the same thing done in peace time by greed, self interest and plain old corruption? Japan will need to answer that question some day, as it's being done right now to some of them.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

This is another issue to add to the mess brewing over there around the people of Fukashima and the wild life. Just imagine the animals that cannot find water and find these pools to add visualize the larve growing in these pools potentially that the wildlife are drinking also. And the poor souls that may encounter wildlife or adult insects THAT FLY. 1 knows international aid has been sent but more LOVE IS IN NEED THERE.

Be well

edit on 8/17/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So because they don't have "any legal guidelines," its every man, citizen, child or school for themselves - with the advice being to dump the radioactive water into public waterways, but ask the farmer growing food from the water first? Completely ridiculous. Completely unacceptable - yet continuing. How sad.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

In Japan?
Try worldwide

Originally posted by LightAssassin

Radioactive Xenon 133, 10th May, S-E Asia

Radioactive Xenon 133, 9th May, North American continent

Radioactive Xenon 133, 27th March, UK and Central Europe (having already gone over Nth American continent)

Radioactive iodine 131, 23rd April, North American Continent

Radioactive Cesium 137, 26th April, Leaving North American continent on it's way to Europe...did anyone say mystery e.coli bug in Europe? I say radiation poisoning.

I have more...you guys can work out the dosages and half-lives. These pics care of the Norwegian air monitoring institute.

I dont think people realise how bad things are going to get for the Northern Hemisphere.

top topics

join