It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Bugnadoes” Develop Across Areas of Missouri

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Strange how they are forming funnel shapes. Ive never seen these personally but are quite interesting.

bugnadoes

edit on 17-8-2011 by stonebutterfly because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-8-2011 by stonebutterfly because: added videos

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Edit; OP fixed vids.

Interesting and amazing sight indeed, makes me think of starling swarms.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Imagine driving into a bugnado on a motorcycle

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've never even heard of such a thing! Wow! thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Aurora Bugialis?

I wonder if this is common amongst a certain species? and why they'd behave this way?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BeyondPerception

I think the species that are doing this havent been identified, but ive never seen any bugs doing this in a particular formation. Ive seen swarms but not in funnels....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
That video made me feel so itchy.

I agree with the youtube commenters on one of the vids: Where is a flamethrower when you need one?

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Gnats around here do this all the time. I remember when I used to go out in the woods, I'd often end up with one in my eye because I'd walk right into a vortex of those little pests. I've never seen any other bug species do this, though! Weird!

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Very cool.

The funnel formation is not a behavior, its a hereditary (species or genera specific) physical reaction to being to small to combat the force of the wind.

This is not completely unheard of, its just not noticed as often because conditions have to be just right for swarms like these to form.
Requirements........
Lots of stagnant water
Excessively warm temps.

With all of the extra stagnant water due to flooding the environments are ripe for insect production. With enough water in large enough areas these huge swarms form. There only noticeable if their populations are high enough.

Oh, yea, lost my train of thought, the tunnels are the same effect that produces the dust devil or the human sized leaf tornado (u kno, the ones formed on windy fall afternoons that throw the leaves back onto the lawn).
Anyway, its not weird for these to do this, its not unexpected, its definitely not an effect of haarp, its just incredibly small, incredibly weak, and extremely lightweight bug that's being blown around in the wind.

Anyone know if the species creating this has functional wings or if it just floats around, is it even confirmed to be a bug. I've seen a trees worth of tiny flower petals floating down the street in a similar fashion.

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by stonebutterfly

Discovery:

I was out walking in my neighborhood today and in the park, near the reservoir, there were several of these gnat swarms. Much smaller than the ones in the video, but same basic idea.

I wondered if they would respond to a human presence in any way, so I raised my hand towards them. They backed off a little, then came back in quite close. When I put my hand up so my palm was facing out, they would get more compact in front of my palm. And when I moved my hand down so the back of my hand was facing out, they would separate into two groups, one on either side of where my arm was pointing. I tried this on two other swarms I found and they all responded about the same way. These gnats are very small - smaller than mosquitoes - and are not blood suckers. So there was no particular problem with putting my hand into them. But I thought it was very interesting how they responded.

The bug scientists say that these are swarms of male gnats around a single female trying to get her attention. That may be. But whatever else they were doing, they were also capable of responding to a human in their environment.

new topics

top topics

join