It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The Poll Tax was aimed at each adult member of a household, where as the Council Tax we have now is paid per whole household based on the category band (value) of the house.

The Tories were using the elctorial roll to monitor those that had paid their "Community Charge" (Poll Tax), this pretty much disenfranchised a great many Labour voters.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
as i see it the best way would be as follows:

Local Tax is paid by each individual adult depending on how much they earn

National Tax is same as above

Linking it to your houses value is bad, because a person might have a nice house but be on a low pension, so they wouldn't be able to afford the tax

[edit on 20-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The administration costs of a Local Tax for each individual based on salary. would be emmense not to mention an administrative nightmare trying to keep tabs on everyones salary, not to mention the civil liberties aspect.

Per household is fine.

The problem was specifically with the Poll Tax, it replaced the old rates system, which was per household. When the Tories made it per person per house, they signed their own death warrant. A lack of foresight on their behalf, quick fix policies do not work, they only appease the minorities.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Summary
Nationalise the track system, putting the Government in total control (thus responsible for their maintenance)

A train company would rent a line of the track on a four year lease.

The trains would be monitored to evaluate comfort and affordability

(i like to think of how i would run things
)

Unfortunately it wouldn't work for the railways, they need large investment that takes decades to pay off, essentially it's an ultra-long-term business, little but reliable payoff over a very long time. 4 year leases would not invite a train company to invest and would stagnate the system.

I be voting tory next election like I usually do

[edit on 22-8-2004 by Cjwinnit]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I will be voting Labour.

I've lived as a working class person under the rule of the conservative state and it has jarred me enough that i will never ever EVER tick my X for that party.

They are a party of the rich and always have been, it'll never change.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join