It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I was wondering which party everyone was going to vote for in the UK general election and why? (yes i know a similar issue thread was created not long ago, but this thread is on party voting as well as issues)

I might be able to vote, depending on when the election is held but the issues that have my vote are:

Crime - Zero tolerance - People are fed up with the soft approach

Immigration - Limited - For Intergration Purposes

Europe - Change alliance format - DOWN WITH THE EVIL EU
Third Way

(i'll post my idea's if any one wants to know my idea's in more detail)

I'll be voting for the Conservative Party www.conservatives.com...

who will you vote for!!!

[edit on 19-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well, thats one wasted vote...!!

Next.....!!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Well, thats one wasted vote...!!

Next.....!!

lol

Suppose someone has to vote for them

I shall be voting Lib Dems

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If I vote LibDem, it'll be the first time I haven't voted Labour.

There is nothing that saddens me more than those voters who are capable of jumping from one end of the political spectrum to the other. Most UK voters are a fickle bunch who care very little for the impact caused by swapping your political affiliation from right to left.

If I go LibDem, it will have to be with some certainty that they are the second party of choice as I'm not prepared to risk the Tories getting in my lifetime again.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 10:59 AM
link   
nice to know the left defends itself with a resourceful reply

what wrong with the Conservative Party?

The Lib Dems are far worse with their softly, softly approach to everything

and that not even mentioning the Labour Party with it's love of political correctness

i can even plot your reply:

Thatcher blah blah blah blah blah...... Privatisation blah blah blah blah blah blah...... Poll Tax blah blah blah blah blah blah....

wait a second all this is in the past

let's look at the present and future shall we.. Labour and Lib Dems have no future with their Political correctness, sell out to EU and hatred of patriotism

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Ha! July!!! The election won't be that late.You won't be voting.

Another former labour voter now voting Lib Dem.(and I will be voting)

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
so what is so bad about the Modern Conservative Party?????

is it the lack of political correctness and the hatred of bureaucracy that you Labour/Lib Dem people don't like

Nobody know's when the election will be so ... ha ... just because I can't vote yet doesn't mean my opinion and ideas should be ignored

Can't it be called at the end of 2005?, Blair will sadly stay in power for as long as he can

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
so what is so bad about the Modern Conservative Party?????

Easy, the party lacks a good leader.
The party can't even make up their mind about Europe, thats why majority of their voters voted UKIP in the European Elections. By the way, will you be older enough to vote next year UK Wizard?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Easy, the party lacks a good leader.
The party can't even make up their mind about Europe, thats why majority of their voters voted UKIP in the European Elections. By the way, will you be older enough to vote next year UK Wizard?

My birthday is in early July, so i'd say there's a 40% chance i'll get to vote

I agree in Euro election's i would vote UKIP, because of my alternative european alliance idea's

On the leader bit, Michael Howard is a good leader, he delivers a good speech, i watched his recent speech on Tory crime policy
He is a leader that think's rather than shouts

Remember he has stood up against the BNP racists on a number of occasions, that takes guts, being as the BNP is notorious for their violence

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

My birthday is in early July, so i'd say there's a 40% chance i'll get to vote

The election will be in may time, i doubt it will be that late

Michael Howard is a good leader

*looks out the window and watches a pig fly past*

He isn't prime minister material, far from it.

Remember he has stood up against the BNP racists on a number of occasions

So have a number of MPs, loads have stood in the house and spoke out. Even on the election programs, all the MPs speak out against the Nazi party aka BNP

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ok, maybe not the best leader, but he's what we've got

What about Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy, not much of a leader

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Ok, maybe not the best leader, but he's what we've got

What about Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy, not much of a leader

hmm seeings the party is improving every year and getting more votes he must be doing something right

Now Mr.Howard, Blair keeps doing him like a bitch in the house

Mr.Howard "I agree with the war, Saddam is a naughty boy"
Mr.Blair "Oops docs are a fake"
Mr.Howard "You lied to us! You took us to war on a lie!"
Mr.Blair "errr but you agreed with the war? You said Saddam was naughty"

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

hmm seeings the party is improving every year and getting more votes he must be doing something right

Now Mr.Howard, Blair keeps doing him like a bitch in the house

Mr.Howard "I agree with the war, Saddam is a naughty boy"
Mr.Blair "Oops docs are a fake"
Mr.Howard "You lied to us! You took us to war on a lie!"
Mr.Blair "errr but you agreed with the war? You said Saddam was naughty"

Kennedy is doing bugger all, the extra votes are coming from ex-Labour voters protest voting over the Iraq war

During the Euro election's i watched Kennedy (TV) visit a Mosque asking the Muslim's there to vote for him, they told him to 'get lost' because they didn't believe in Democracy, Kennedy instead of agrueing his idea's, ran off because he was worried at being argued with by people who's idea's he didn't understand

Howard agreed to the war on the grounds of there being WMD's, the WMD's meant Saddam was naughty
, so Howard supported it
now we know there are no WMD's he doesn't support it (like alot of other people)

WMD's = Naughty Saddam = Howard Support War
No WMD's = No reason to invade Iraq = No Howard Support for War

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'd say you have a 20% chance of voting UK Wizard.

The election doesn't have to be called until May 2006 But the last time an election was put off until the very end of the term was in 1979.The Government could not control events and the election followed the famous Winter of Discontent and Labour were hammered.

It won't happen again.

Summer elections are virtually unknown.People are on holiday so forget about an election in late June,July,and August.

Winter elections are similar.Turn out is always important and people complain if an election is in November,December,January,Febuary,March.

So you are left with April,May,Early June and September,October 2005.

The later it is the harder it is to control events and so next Spring looks the likelier.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Howard agreed to the war on the grounds of there being WMD's, the WMD's meant Saddam was naughty
, so Howard supported it
now we know there are no WMD's he doesn't support it (like alot of other people)

Errr...no

Howard said Saddam was a threat and had to go, he agreed with the WMD, but he based his support of Saddams threat. He even said Saddam was a threat to world peace, but then...BAMM! document is sexed up and Howard changes his mind

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
sorry... maybe i'm wrong, that's what i heard

maybe im confused again

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   

sorry... maybe i'm wrong, that's what i heard

maybe im confused again

Don't worry

UK politics gets me confused all the time.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Well done UK Wizard for having an interest in UK politics at such an early age, an age when most teens are out, getting smashed, stoned, shagged and generally enjoying themselves without giving a toss about the world around them, I certainly didn't give two tosses about UK politics at your age, I patronise you not.

Unsure as to why you would vote Tory though, whats your background, I could be wrong and correct me if I am, White, Middle-classed, well educated parents? A generalisation, I know but let me know the truth.

The Tories have an insular attitude, if they had the opportunity to bring back the Empire, they would. They want to close the doors to outsiders and they don't want to join any outsiders. Predominantly their arguments are normally based on the tabloid press' front page, as they are incapable of unearthing their own arguments.

They spend more time talking about petty antics than national or global issues. They encourage narrow mindedness, materialism and wealth, and they believe in a class society. They prefer quick fix policies to long term solutions and a great many of their voters are facists.

As for the Poll Tax and Privatisation, well I think you are aware of how ludicrous those policies were.

I've always thought it best to learn from history, not to ignore it.

Although New Labour are far from perfect and have moved a little to far to the right for my liking, there are many areas of progress that have been made and are being addressed, NHS, Public Transport and Education.

As for Charles Kennedy, he is a man who can stand tall, as he was not afraid to go against the grain regarding the invasion of Iraq. He is practical, wise and dead set against the Tories ever gaining power, which, in my book, makes him one of the good guys.

One ability Michael Howard has is arguing, he's very good at it, even when he's wrong.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by Koka]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Unsure as to why you would vote Tory though, whats your background, I could be wrong and correct me if I am, White, Middle-classed, well educated parents? A generalisation, I know but let me know the truth.

I am white and study at the local high school (sixth form), my parents had nothing when they got together, they worked hard and believe in hard work. I surpose we are upper working class now, we fit into the tax bracket where they suddenly tax you to death
, we'd be pretty well off but the tax is pretty heavy in my parents combined pay bracket.
My Mother went to a grammer school and my dad went to a tech college i think

Originally posted by KokaThey spend more time talking about petty antics than national or global issues. They encourage narrow mindedness, materialism and wealth, and they believe in a class society. They prefer quick fix policies to long term solutions and a great many of their voters are facists.

The Tory's are very narrow minded when i comes to certain matters, Iraq, Tax, Europe. If they could kick themselves into gear, they could make a difference with some of their policys (crime in particular).
As for facists voting of them i doubt that many do, facists vote for the BNP, although a minority might. Just like some communists and extreme left wingers vote for Labour and Lib Dem

Originally posted by KokaAs for the Poll Tax and Privatisation, well I think you are aware of how ludicrous those policies were.

I never completely understood the Poll Tax, '' is it when everyone is taxed the same '' because that's crazy
Some privatisation is needed as it generates wealth, which in turn generates tax, which can be put into other services (an example is in next post)

[edit on 20-8-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   
An example of of mixed privatisation and nationalisation, an advanced form of what we currently have in Britain::

The Government needs to partially nationalise the railways by taking control of the track system, it will be a very expensive measure but I believe it is the only way for the Government to make a real difference to the railways. Private companies would still run the trains, but they would rent the use of the section of the track on a four year basis. This way companies who don't meet basic demands and quality would lose their contracts. This method of railway management would promote competitive rivalry between train companies. The train companies who don't care about the people who use their services will be never be able to compete with train companies who do, thus improving service and quality. The funds that the Government receives from the rented track must be put straight back into maintenance and improvements to the track system.

Summary
Nationalise the track system, putting the Government in total control (thus responsible for their maintenance)

A train company would rent a line of the track on a four year lease.

The trains would be monitored to evaluate comfort and affordability

(i like to think of how i would run things
)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join