It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brit and American Politicians Now Coming Clean: War in Iraq not justified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Here we have two government officials, one from the UK, one a Republican congressman who are finally coming clean publicly about what a mistake the whole Iraq invasion and occupation was/is.

Bush supporters, you might wanna read the words of your own party's congressman - a REPUBLICAN - and think long and hard about it. The president lied our country into a catastrophic war, with no end in sight. (By design, I might add.) It's time for him to answer to the people for this disasterous course he has set us on. It's time for ACCOUNTABILITY!

Bereuter: War in Iraq not justified
BY DON WALTON / Lincoln Journal Star

In a dramatic departure from the Bush administration, Republican Rep. Doug Bereuter says he now believes the U.S. military assault on Iraq was unjustified.

"I've reached the conclusion, retrospectively, now that the inadequate intelligence and faulty conclusions are being revealed, that all things being considered, it was a mistake to launch that military action," Bereuter wrote in a letter to constituents in the final days of his congressional career.

That's especially true in view of the fact that the attack was initiated "without a broad and engaged international coalition," the 1st District congressman said.

"Knowing now what I know about the reliance on the tenuous or insufficiently corroborated intelligence used to conclude that Saddam maintained a substantial WMD (weapons of mass destruction) arsenal, I believe that launching the pre-emptive military action was not justified."
www.journalstar.com...

It's nice to know he's coming clean; however, it's pretty easy for him to come out with it now, considering he's not running again. And, I find it hard to believe that he and his colleagues are as dumb as they've claimed to be regarding pre-war intelligence. All they had to do was get on the net and do some reading and research. I guess they were all too busy schmoozing and attending fund-raising events.

From Across the Pond

GREENSTOCK: 'WAR MAY BE A TOTAL WASTE' Aug 17 2004

TONY Blair's former envoy to Iraq yesterday admitted the war may prove to be a "waste of lives, money and effort".

In an astonishing admission, top diplomat Sir Jeremy Greenstock said if the situation in the country did not improve within 18months, military intervention would be seen as a mistake.

He said: "If Iraq in 2006 looks very little better than under Saddam, then the whole thing was a waste of lives, money and effort."
www.mirror.co.uk...=14538615%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=greenstock%2d%2d%2dwar%2dmay%2dbe%2da%2dtotal%2dwast e%2d-name_page.html

Greenstock is no lightweight. Blair's gang is reportedly furious with him. Imagine that; for telling the truth. How sad.

And UK and U.S. soldiers keep dying. For no good reason.

[edit on 19-09-2003 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
slowly more and more people, including blind politicians are waking up to the truth.

I'm not saying saddam was a good guy or anything, but things should have been thought out more, verified, and planned for before rushing into Iraq. WMD's still have not been found, Osama not caught, Al-Zarqawi not caught, where is the justification?

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
EastCoastKid...

Really good sources. Thanks for providing it!

worldwatcher...

Your absolutely right. I just hope that more people and govt. officials will start seeing the grave (literally) error before we suffer 4 more years under the Bush regime.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   
once the politicians don't have to worry about running for office..then they will speak the truth....big business, $$ and politics will always will out over truth. so much for 'a govt by the people for the people'..........

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
slowly more and more people, including blind politicians are waking up to the truth.

I'm not saying saddam was a good guy or anything, but things should have been thought out more, verified, and planned for before rushing into Iraq. WMD's still have not been found, Osama not caught, Al-Zarqawi not caught, where is the justification?

No. Saddam was not a good guy. He was a brute; albeit, we now see, quite the effective brute. He ruled with an iron fist. As an Iraqi man once said, with the Iraqis, you have to.

Yes, the war was pushed and based on a house of lies. It's time for folks, well-meaning and willfully ignorant to wake up and see this for what it really is. A complete blood-soaked fraud.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
EastCoastKid...

Really good sources. Thanks for providing it!

worldwatcher...

Your absolutely right. I just hope that more people and govt. officials will start seeing the grave (literally) error before we suffer 4 more years under the Bush regime.

Ubetcha Jazz.

Pass this around as far and wide as you can. The word has got to spread on this. There are too many people out there willing to keep believing in the lies b/c they have no stomach for the ugly truth. They've GOT to start seeing.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I still gotta wonder if this will help the Kerry troup. He has gone on record as saying that he still would have supported the war in Iraq even if they didn't have evidence of WMD's. I get depressed thinking about how we are still not going to be better of if or when Kerry get's in office. It seems that either way we will still be in a no win war with no end in sight. And with the 70k soldiers form around the world coming back, where do you think they're are gonna be sent back out to? Duh!

[edit on 19-8-2004 by mpeake]

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
That's the BIGGEST problem I have with Kerry. He can't say he was wrong, cuz it'll play into that flip-flopping crap. He should never have voted for the thing to begin with.

As far as him saying he disagrees with bringing the troops home from Germany and S. Korea, I don't know where the hell he's coming from. I've been advocating that for years! (Not just now that we're in this Iraqi clutch.) I guess he supports propping up Germany's economy instead of our own.
Makes no sense.

I still do not support Bush, tho.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Actually Kerry said he supported giving the president authorization for war if all other methods were tried first. This is a common theme among those who voted for the resolution.

Basically they feel the president should have the right to engage US military action if needed to protect the country after all other avenues have been effectively used.

What we are seeing is that our president took that authority and chose to not use weapons inspectors or gain broader international support before launching an invasion.

I know it is a slippery slope but I too agree the president should have that authority to protect the US. At the same time it is not a blank check and the president has a morale obligation to try all other methods first. Our current leader did not wait, did not try, he simply chose to invade.

Time to fire him!

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Listen people everything politicians do goes to ways, if Kerry went against the vote for the Iraq resolution and MWDs were found he will have been seen as bad anyway, now that the war finally is looking less and less attractive all that tax payer money wasted, he is still bad because he voted in favor of it.

To me it proves that bush was the one making the mistake not Kerry and my vote on this coming election is still the same.

What is going on just make my resolution stronger.

top topics

join