It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Scratches Through Her Skull: The Itch

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Saddest (or maddening) part of this woman's story is that her issue (the itching) was labeled an OCD or other Psychological problem because the doctors could not figure out what was causing it and thus, it must of course be in her head... Most are just not willing to go the full mile and really get down to investigating and finding not only the root cause, but also a remedy.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Really disappointed at the amount of posters that have been quick to shout 'URBAN MYTH/HOAX' without even bothering to read the entire essay

Anyway, since most of you couldn't be bothered to read and then do some further research about 'Patient M', here's the answer you're looking for:

Q. A reader on the blog states that it would be impossible for M. to scratch through her skull with her fingernail. What is your response to that concern? A. As for being able to scratch through one’s skull — it’s the same thing the doctors thought when they saw her. And they therefore kept surmising that she had used some kind of metal implement to scratch. But gradually what they figured out was that the open skin wound had allowed bacteria in. This led to osteomyelitis — infection of the skull — and that softened the skull to the point of allowing her to gradually scratch through.

Dr. Gawande answers questions about 'The Itch'

S&F for you OP even if you have made me hideously itchy!!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyS

I agree. I thought the same thing. Doctors should always do full evaluations before assuming. I think also whenever a person has a history of drug abuse/addictions, they tend to get the brush off by doctors and labeled as a person with mental problems. I suffered through this for years after a drug overdose. It took an entire year to get medical doctors to investigate my chest pains. Since I was so young they brushed it off as panic attacks, without doing any medical tests. For years I was in pain, only to go from doctor to doctor to finally get proper treatment/tests. They discovered several heart complications. After a while, it gets so frustrating, because the doctors almost have you thinking you are crazy.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is some case if indeed true.
I have an itch on my foot sometimes
from the irritation of shoes. I cut
my nails short to avoid infection not
to mention it is more sanitary. I would
suggest anyone that has a frequent
itching problems to cut your nails short
and apply an anti itch ointment, especially
before bed.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Maybe the one thing they ruled out, which is most likely the problem, is the woman is possessed by a spirit of some sort that causes her to scratch herself to death. It did say its like torment constantly, and what do evil spirits do to humans? Torment them anyway they can.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyS
Saddest (or maddening) part of this woman's story is that her issue (the itching) was labeled an OCD or other Psychological problem because the doctors could not figure out what was causing it and thus, it must of course be in her head... Most are just not willing to go the full mile and really get down to investigating and finding not only the root cause, but also a remedy.

I agree. Doctors can be SO cocky and act like they know EVERYTHING, even when they literally know nothing at all in some cases.

It says on page 4 of the article that the doctor that talked her into letting him cut her nerve wants to cut it again even deeper, and says he isn't wrong, he just didn't cut enough of it. B S! Just too cocky to admit he doesn't know the answer.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DieBravely

That is a truly disturbing aspect of the story. He may be right, but what if he's not. I hate to label all doctors as cocky but I have run across my share of them. Worst is when they won't believe your account of what's happening. You know how you're body is doing and what it's doing.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Or maybe 'someones' using EMF waves to drive this woman insane.. Like
what is being used on society today and has been for ages..

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GenerationXisMarching

from reading the article some doctor had given her an operation at some point to kill her nerves so that might have been a factor in the pain but the article went mostly over my head and kinda creeped me out so i kinda skimmed it

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you find your head itches chronically, the best way to stop the itching is to douse the head with hydrogen peroxide.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

I didn't feel the article was too 'intellectual' personally. It seemed fairly straight forward and I was actually impressed that it seemed to explain the various issues in a way that I could understand without obsessive googling.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hey really enjoyed read this article. The part about perceptionand research into the itch was most enlightening.

ALS (S&F)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Just fascinating!

I can see how this would happen -- psychologically we get into the "habit" of pain if pain goes on for a very long time. I know a woman who has had migranes for years and says it feels strange when she wakes up and does NOT have a headache.

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Hey really enjoyed read this article. The part about perceptionand research into the itch was most enlightening.
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

Glad you enjoyed it! I agree that was the most interesting part. The whole creepy factor is fascinating alone, but when you add the research side it's really a neat read.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join