It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian 'warships shell port city of Latakia'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Syrian 'warships shell port city of Latakia'

english.aljazeera.net

At least 25 people have been killed and many others injured after Syrian warships and tanks opened fire on the port city of Latakia, activists said.

A resident in al-Ramel, one of the neighbourhoods which came under attack on Sunday, said at least three gunboats were taking part in the offensive.

"Many homes have been destroyed and the shabiha have broken into shops and businesses," he said, referring to pro-government thugs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting acts of violence being performed by the Syrian regime on its own people, there is no justification for this use of force. It is now time for the protestors to step up their assault on his regime because President al-Assad is in no way prepared to reform his government or protect the lives of his citizens. When leaders reach a certain point of brutality then no mercy should be shown towards the struggling dictatorship. In my opinion, shelling your own citizens from boats is that point of no return.

I would not call for foreign intervention into the Syrian situation for many reasons; the most important for me is my staunch isolationist views in regards to foreign policy. But you must also factor in Iran and Lebanon as surely they will not violate their pact with al-Assad, meaning an all-out regional war would ensue. The West neither has the will or the money to engage in that sort of conflict.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8/14/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
wow,
I think this represents a tipping point, not just for Syria but the entire region.
we should all pray for peace!!
hope I am wrong

edit on 14-8-2011 by paradiselost333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Amazed this is the first post I've seen on this - was considering starting one myself!

Using warships to attack your own people is absolutely shocking - it's certainly as bad as Libya using planes on their people, if not worse.

I don't know what to think anymore. If this had happened, say, 20 years ago, the world would have called for action against Syria - and rightly so. But now.......it's such a mess in the Middle East....we're already involved in Libya....should we draw the line there or punish Syria just the same? Part of me wants NATO to sink those ships and protect the Syrian people, but another part is so tired and cynical of the politics and motives of those in charge. But how can we attack Libya and not Syria?
It's all just a giant mess and makes my head hurt.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Is this the same Port that the U.N secured when they dropped those, bombs on the "ships" to eliminate the comand and control?
Cause if it is i thought it was secure already?
You really have too sinc up your Port and Ground,, timming i guess?
If different Port
Disregard
thnks

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

not our problem, and also these revolutions are manufactured by the elites, IMF,CFR.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by Misoir

not our problem, and also these revolutions are manufactured by the elites, IMF,CFR.

It always fascinates me why people must always invent some fringe alternative explanation for events that seem to have a lot of evidence backing up their most-accepted explanation.

Not saying conspiracies don't exist, as they do. But given the plethora of video, the ease of getting such information out to the world to see, and the breadth of international, multifaceted coverage on the revolts in Syria, how could you think that there is a Zionist, IMF-, UN-backed plot to invade Syria or anything similar? Logically, it's retarded; a completely and utterly baseless accusation.

People need to start critically examining their cognitive biases and recognizing when they are just entertaining their own whimsical fancies, so to speak. If you have extremely solid evidence that carries more avoirdupois the extensive video, eyewitness, and organizational evidence that states that the Syrian regime is for the most part using excessive force against mainly protesters and citizens, than do enlighten us. If not, then preferably leave this Earth peacefully in a spaceship to the planet Derp.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
How do we know that America or whoever else has an interest in this happening is not disguising their people as Syrian forces also agrevating this?

It has been done in the past, so why not now?

Has anybody here got people on out there telling them the facts or are you just repeating what the press tells you?

edit on 19-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanescence

The Russians have a large naval base now you think a new Syrian western puppet misnter will allow that? i dont think so, its all about the oil and banking just like libya.

top topics

join