It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch PlantLab Revolutionizes Farming: No Sunlight, No Windows, Less Water, Better Food

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

Pssssssst the 4th plant grown by NASA with this tech WAs canabis. Corn, wheat, beans then they tried it on weed. Its a fact

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysProNeverAnti

with red and blue band, HID is currently an expensive joke

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

Whoopee doo same as every other legal grower in Cali
But since this is from Europe OMG ITS WONDERFUL!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Just a reminder about talk of cannabis here, many know of the benefits associated with crafty light production and plant management for the plant, but this specific subject is frowned upon here by the mods/owners, is a violation of policies(right or wrong) and will result in a thread being shut down or removed. So please consider passing up the opportunity to promote the subject. Thankz

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterGemini
Love this!

I have been researching on how to do just this. Highly automated and efficient farming designed to bring agriculture back into city folks' lives just makes me happy.

This tech could go a long way in improving the diets of the city and possibly free up a ton of farm land for new purposes.

Ahh I think I will just go off and day dream about this.

Star & Flag

Yeah. It will allow for all that farmland to be rewilded under UN directives. We cant have any pesky Humans running around in the wild, messing with Nature now can we.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Just a reminder about talk of cannabis here, many know of the benefits associated with crafty light production and plant management for the plant, but this specific subject is frowned upon here by the mods/owners, is a violation of policies(right or wrong) and will result in a thread being shut down or removed. So please consider passing up the opportunity to promote the subject. Thankz

Peace,
spec

You mean talk about Marijuana? Cannabis is just a Genus of the Cannabaceae Family, that is of the Rosales Order. I dont understand why it would be an off subject here considering many Farmers; under many restrictions, in the US are growing the Male Plant for Hemp production. Considering the amount of Ron Paul supporters on here, and the fact he sponsored "United States: Industrial Hemp Farming Act 2009 (HR 1866)", this subject being "off limits" to me at least, is very telling.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HermitShip

I'm not saying the subject is right or wrong hombre, but I have been on here enough to see the staff reaction to it, that's all, and I don't want to see this thread dissappear in a poof of smoke. Punnerifickness right there yo!

I realize hemp is a different subject, and of it's tremendous benefits in terms of fuel, food, fiber, jobs, etc....but hemp discussions will ALWAYS draw the other side of the coin into it.

The topic of the thread and article is about using these developments for food supply/production.
This is all I will say, otherwise because the thread will take a turn for the worse, in terms of becoming another right and wrong regarding validity, personal testimony, and loose discussions about it.

16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances: Due to abuse of the subject matter by some (promoting various aspects of personal use, and discussing actual personal use), no new topics on this subject are allowed in any form

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Peace
edit on 17-8-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by HermitShip this subject being "off limits" to me at least, is very telling.
Yup, it's kind of strange we're not allowed to talk about this huge multifaceted conspiracy on a site designed to discuss conspiracies.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

We are allowed, but under certain rules, but on this thread it could only lead to distraction (as we can see), so please, everybody, stay on topic.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I wonder how much energy is needed to power that up.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is amazing. I'm glad you shared it. I hope someone develops this agressively. It could be a game changer.

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by atomicn

I wonder how much energy is needed to power that up.

I can't seem to find the specific detail on this particular system. Compared to traditional lights, they are less hot and so they are able to stack tiers of plants on top of one another, fully utilizing the volume of a grow area, as opposed to just a single floor level. The additional yield, then too, should be part of the consideration for cost comparisons.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaykun

It could be a game changer.

For the better it seems too, and with sensibility.
Thanks for the comment..

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Not so new. In the early 1980s General Mills (Cheerios etc) opened up a hydronponic plant that used no sunlight, used less water, no pesticides of herbicides, and had dozens of patents including the gathering of heat from lamps and using that heat to warm the water. They grew lettuce and spinach on a moving platform. Seeds one end moved along till they were removed at the other end as heads of lettuce 30 days later. They had some problems because there were no wind currents to strenghten the stalks of the plant so they, wilted fast. Plants were packaged with the roots on (at my suggestion) leaving the plants alive and intact. The brand was called Kitchen Harvest. It was "the lettuce and spinach you harvest right in your own kitchen." (by breaking the roots off). General Mills sold the product at retail and to the restaurant trade. I did the advertising, naming etc. Have no idea what happened to the concept...but I have tons of proof that it was a real product. The big difference in Holland. The LEDS.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That's looks awesome, this is how farming should be done in the 21st century and beond.
This is almost close to organic farming. It would neat if the automated farm system built in the city
that would reduce the costs of production, decrease delivery time and increase food shelf life.

Do you know if fertilizers or pesticides are used?

Star and Flag for this one awesome

edit on 24-8-2011 by FollowDMoney because: Great find speculativeoptimist

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Some one in this thread said that if Monsanto buys this technology and destroy it.
I hope they will never buy this wonderful technology and use it for profit.

Boycot every Monsanto products and esspecially Coca Cola softdrinks they are all evil
corporations which they only care about money and no one else.

Follow the money in good fortune but not for evil.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FollowDMoney

They used fertilizer, but I am unsure whether it was organic or not, but it could and should be

No pesticides were used because of strict environmental controls, another advantage of this system.
I agree, this potential applications for this, both on small and large scales seems logical and has momentum already.

Peace,
spec

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ctsned

You are somewhat correct in the LED gardening idea not being new, but the improvements on it, as well as promotion of, could be considered revolutionary. I think the spectrum array is different than the older ones. Were the one's you mentioned red and blue? Just curious, but surely they have made improvements.

In the past 15 years or so, the industry offered software that would help monitor a plant from beginning to end, thus allowing the grower to make adjustments and optimize the results. This system makes the adjustments for you, every second throughout the day. It also monitors the plant on a much more innovative way, by not just providing info on ph, nutrient uptake, soil wetness etc..., now they can see it on a molecular level and make adjustments, which some include optimizing a plant to new or specific levels, by maintaining a constant perfect enviro/sytem every second of every day. Resting time is minimized and the ebb and flow is pushed forward only. They also use the entire volume of a room. Typical gardens are 1 to 5 levels, but these things stack from floor to ceiling, and are wall to wall, with the exception of workspace. It is as perfect a system that can be made, and even though mother nature is best, this allows the best of ma nature round the clock, through any season.

Peace,
spec

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Foods (mainly vegetables) grown in Holland tastes bland.
Does this help make the food taste any better?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

I wonder about taste qualities too FoosM. Maybe if they used soil for a medium, but that seems unlikely since the system is designed for an alternative and efficient approach. But with all the science involved, maybe they can tweak more flavor out. Still, this will bring food to those in need and hopefully prevent more shortages as opposed to totally replacing the natural way o things.

Peace,
spec

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join