It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Trekkers unite to build it. A real Starship Enterprise.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by masterp

Ok but we need you to audition your voice for the role

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by nobodysavedme

I didn't think your supposed to use this site to recruit people to your personal cause.....especially one as ignorant as this one.

Only folks that don't know crap about current technology would bother to ignorantly endorse this silly cause. Another perfect example of how we are getting dumberer and dumberer as time goes on. Deny ignorance? Hell....hard to do when those that think they are doing so don't even know the actual definition of ignorance.

But hey, no harm done...right? Think again, romans.....

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I so want a job on that ship.
I can fall side ways to lol.
just like the old show.
beam me up!

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
There's a few new threads on ATS about the recent discovery of anti-matter particles caught in the magnetic fields of earth. Other planets in our solar system may also have them, maybe even more so around our gas giants. So you can harvest them, put them in an anti-matter magnetic bubble and use them to power the engines just like in real, err ST. You can also create and store anti-matter using particle accelerators.

Aheh yes but recall that at the end of TNG the series they put the kabosh on intersellar travel cause that alien dude and his sister figured out warp travel destroys subspace. Nice little hook they threw the future timelines, thanks for killing the idea of another ST show guys! SHEESH.

First we need a new episodic Trek show, not like Enterprise but from the TNG era, or just before or after. They need to take the familiar from series 2 and add it to series 3. Enterprise being prologue, doesn't count. Voyager was fine but it was a different part of space, very disconnected.

Originally posted by objectivist
Well since its never gonna fly why not make a theme park like comic con on steriods all kinds of giant life sized balloons for fake ships you could make a real enterprise balloon to scale enterprise a would only be a few hundred feet i think enterprise e would be a 1000 feet that would be awesome to see just tie a really heavy duty steel cable system and float it 300 feet up , holographic booths, theatres were you can role play and rides a year round .You could make replica bridges from every series on computer and have all led screens wall to wall and rent them out for parties or hotel rooms star trek mecca with events and collectibles and guest stars maybe even do star wars as well just to bring in the herds I am a trekky trekker but are there enough of us?They made a Harry potter park we need a Star trek park

Awesome post ^^^ Way to think it through buddy! Enterprise balloon tho? No I don't think this thing should be off the ground, too Hindenburgesque. Make it fixed and realistic enough. Like a cruise ship that doesn't move.

Originally posted by jonnywhite
Why do something like this when we can spend billions on football or basketball.

Besides, investing complex thought into fantasy is worse than investing stupid thought into fantasy. Investing stupid thought into it makes you look sane, in case you're wondering.

I know we waste time anyway, but how you waste time matters to people. Just some advice.
edit on 13-8-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Wow, way to throw water on the fire mister gloomy pants. The NFL's got nothing on Trek and I'm a fan of both. But your "advice" that even thinking this way is a waste of time, is some pretty poor advice, imo.

Now maybe you're grumpy because you are a Star Wars fan? So then we have to take "Trekland" or whatever and force the Roddenberry title-holders and the Lucas title-holders to form a theme park with a line of demarcation down the middle. On one side you can build an Enterprise to scale, but on the other side we want a rebel cruiser, or perhaps even a Star Destroyer. Naturally we will also need a Millennium Falcon as well.

Think that'll get you on board, mister gloomy gus? I think OP's idea is great.

But actually, since Star Wars is long ago, far away, and Trek is about 110 years from now, it's a suitable way to consider myth (SW = past) versus being (Trek = future potential). So there are a lot of reasons to be a fan of this idea. But let's start with another TV show that features a Galaxy class Picard-era ship, called the "Geronimo" let's say, and they can have a whole bunch of adventures without stepping on the toes of the TNG codex and perhaps enhancing it. TV show first, then your idea OP.
edit on 16-8-2011 by smallpeeps because: splng

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arrowmancer
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Obviously, we're both Trekkers, but I like to think of building an Enterprise as a serious endeavor. Call me an idealist.

Well, if you're a Trekkie you'd see the design cues from the Intrepid and Miranda class ships in there. The warp nacelles would be the engines. Think of them as modular. One nacelle contains the entire engine layout, whatever that engine technology may be. (Ion engines perhaps?)

You should also know where the bridge sits, unless I'm reading your post wrong. This design is probably the easiest design to actually build.

Let me walk you through it:

You see the ship from top down view. The center is of course the bridge with the usual surrounding fittings you'd find like a conference room, ready room etc. Then at he very rear of the ship, you have the shuttle bay. The belly is pretty much flat.

I mean, it's the most basic design I could come up with and probably the easiest to do if you want to make it "Trekkie". Although I'd go for Khan's sleeper ship, the SS Botany Bay. The design of that could easily fit into rockets and be put together in space.

Image of the SS Botany Bay

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Has anyone actually calculated how many ice-block/popsicle sticks it's gonna take?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius

Originally posted by objectivist
Well since its never gonna fly

en.wikipedia.org...

He says we've been flying alien reactor'd spacecraft.

Well that convinces me - he even calls himself "a bumbling computer nerd" - so everything he says must be true!

edit on 16-8-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Don't you need an ornery scientist and an ancient alien race to make this work?

edit on 16-8-2011 by LadyS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Has anyone actually calculated how many ice-block/popsicle sticks it's gonna take?

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

You just made that up - didn't you??!!

I know you did, because I happen to know you are out by a factor of 239,905,183.209846.

That and because 87.46% of iceblock stick counts are made up on the spot, along with 53.69% of all statistics.....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
I think Astor was behind the Tesla space ship cause it worked and
is still here today.

edit on 8/16/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

Links, source?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210
reply to post by nobodysavedme

I would but I am really busy working on my Tricorder.

Just go buy an iPhone
Same thing really....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
you would need an engine to drive it before you could design a craft .
the craft would need to be built around an engine
and then there is the question about what kind of instruments would be required for the instrument panels

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
I think Astor was behind the Tesla space ship cause it worked and
is still here today.

edit on 8/16/2011 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

Links, source?

Do not have much ready now but i can link to tesla talking about his ship
and saying his ship works.

Then find some good video of the oval or wing or triangle ships cause those
are Tesla ships.

In wizard by mark seifer j astor and tesla are mentined, guess what they
were up to. Sorry you need links and let others tell you what to think.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Ok, just to bring a little more seriousness into the discussion.

I suggest we use Ion engines for long distance traveling and standard thrusters for short range and maneuvering. My biggest concern is air and life support. For a vessel designed to travel, our biggest problem would be air. And if our ship is going to be small, we won't have enough room for a botanical garden bay to generate fresh air. Here's a story from 2000 though which you might find interesting regarding air management in space. Link

Also, power in general would be a problem. I'd think a mix of a thorium reactor with solar cells would be the way to go.

Then of course you'll need a computer system up and running to help with controlling the thrusters, life support, navigation etc.

posted on Aug, 19 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Reply to post by nobodysavedme

I didn't think your supposed to use this site to recruit people to your personal cause.....especially one as ignorant as this one.

Only folks that don't know crap about current technology would bother to ignorantly endorse this silly cause. Another perfect example of how we are getting dumberer and dumberer as time goes on. Deny ignorance? Hell....hard to do when those that think they are doing so don't even know the actual definition of ignorance.

But hey, no harm done...right? Think again, romans.....

Well with people like you we would still be in the caves cowering in the dark.

You need to read and comprehend.

My personal cause?

Do you even read?

Or do you alzheimers? i mean suffer from MTVities.

I used the collective word. WE.

WE .WE. WE. GOT IT?

I think there should be a different name for some
trekkers:Luddites(disguised as trekkers).they all seem content
to sit on their backsides in front of a pc and argue about
klingon foreheads instead of actually trying to do something
or build something or being enthusiatic about anything.

THANK GOD there were no trekkers in in HENRY FORDS TIME as otherwise we
would there would be no cars today.

THANK GOD there were no trekkers during the construction of the PANAMA CANAL AS IT
WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BUILD....

THANK GOD THERE WERE NO TREKKERS IN KENNEDYS ADMINISTRATION as there never would have
been a moon landing they are really defeatist ignorant Luddites......only thing they know about is klingon forehead ridges...

posted on Aug, 22 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
As insane this idea is,

it would be a BLAST in Vegas as a hotel or something

and of course we will not be able to launch it into space

Nonsense, as has been addressed earlier, that thing will be built in Orbit.

See it as an ISS...but 10000x cooler. And yes it would orbit Earth as long as it doesn't have proper propulsion.
edit on 22-8-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

with all due respect you have not actually read the original proposal carefully.
i said 'fully functional WITHIN the limits of CURRENT technology.

as we don't have the things you mention in your response the primary idea is that it is a tourist attraction/hotel.

the secondary idea is to try within the limits of current technology to TRY TO APPROXIMATE as closely as possible the functionality of the series vessels again within the limits imposed by current science and technology...

i hope this clarifies the original proposal which actually mentions this but few seem to remember reading,possibly because the idea is a bit brazen and maybe bold perhaps...

posted on Oct, 22 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Hello everyone - I am here because I have a similar proposal - how about building the real Enterprise in Space -

It will take some effort and there is one way to help make this happen - I am running for the US President. You can visit my site at wjvillines.com then select On Politics to lend your support.

Understand I am not talking about the enterpise of Star Trek as we don't have the means to go FTL nor do we have the holodeck stuff

I am talking an Enterprise that suits what we need now - a ship crewed by 300 to 1000 persons standard to go deep space to look for threats to our world.

I actually am proposing the first 2 Enterprise Class Space Ships based on the Star Trek design because it is refered to as "the most engineered ship never built".

NASA Engineers have toyed with this, applying all the latest and greatest concepts that they have at their disposal.

It would only take a crack team to put the real design together about 2 months and then issue component building directives to contract companies.

Mean while I am thinking that we could build Eagles from Space 1999 for the Earth - Lunar transit.

The parts would be shuttled to the moon for assembly of the hull and primary control systems, then boosted into Lunar Orbit to what I refer to as a Finishing Station.

My goal is to have the first 2 Enterprise Ships beginning basic test operations within 2 years of becoming President in 2012 -- that would be 2014ish. After the tests they would go into deep space to begin deep space monitoring along with other science and R&D activities to identify any objects that may be bearing down on the Earth unknown so we can meet the threat while we can actually do something about it.

And if the threat is not found - so what, the economy gets an influx of growth and we get to start real space exploration. This would call for the formation of what I call the New American Space Agency (NASA) on the bases that NASA as we know it now is just a hodge podge of other agencies and not really a stand alone one.

I even have a plan to finance it - but need to develop a support group to make this happen.

Space may be the final frontier - but it will take the will of Man to make it accessable to everyone.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join