It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help fighting the spiders

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I really really don't like spiders and I'm dreading the Autumn when they start marching into the house like they own the place.

Several people have suggested scattering Chestnuts about the house because apparently spiders don't like Chestnuts (Horse Chestnut I assume). So Im defiantly going to be festooning the house with Chestnuts ASAP. Im worried that this wont be enough though....

Does anyone else have any amazing tips (that actually work) on keeping spiders at bay?
edit on 12/8/11 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Spiders are only coming into your house like.crazy because there is food for them there. This means you have other creepy crawlies making themselves at home in your place. The only reason you don't know this is because the spiders. Have been doing their job. If you get rid of the spiders you are going to have something else.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Get snakes to eat the spiders

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
1 cup of vinegar
1 cup of rubbing alcohol
1/2 of dish washing liquid

Get a spray bottle and mix it in there and fill the rest with water. Spay the mixture around your house and windowsills. Spiders have smellers on their feet and don't like the smell of the mix.

It's safe to use around kids and pets and also works very well on ants.

Good luck, I am deathly afraid of spiders too and have pets so I scoured the internet and tried several different concoctions that are safe..this one works well.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000[/i If you get rid of the spiders you are going to have something else.

yes that's fine, I don't mind the something else's its the spiders I don't want coming in...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
1 cup of vinegar
1 cup of rubbing alcohol
1/2 of dish washing liquid

Get a spray bottle and mix it in there and fill the rest with water. Spay the mixture around your house and windowsills. Spiders have smellers on their feet and don't like the smell of the mix.

It's safe to use around kids and pets and also works very well on ants.

Good luck, I am deathly afraid of spiders too and have pets so I scoured the internet and tried several different concoctions that are safe..this one works well.

Brilliant! Thank you, I'll be trying that one tomorrow!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Also, boiling clove and pouring the water around your house..but this option makes your house uninhabitable for a few hours. Boiling clove stinks to high heaven!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My cats do an excellent job on spider patrol....
In fact my boyfriend borrows them several times a year for missions on his turf!
They are bug killing machines!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Sorry that you are having Spider problems! Here in Dallas, due to the heat, spiders are making their ways inside homes to escape the heat and lack of water. My neighbor was bit recently as well as my partner, both by brown recluses. The spots where they were bitten look horrible. The hospital said that there are seeing many cases of bites recently.

I hope that you fare well, and that you don't end up bitten by these nasty little creatures. If you do, don't take any chances and make sure that you see a Doctor right away!

Good luck!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I have a Very Big Fear of Spiders,but i let them get on with it.If they get in my wey i man up I Am A MAN A BIGGISH MAN and place a glass over it,then run out of the room and shout for help.
Sorry i cant help ,i have to keep one eye open

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa

I really don't get why so many people fear spiders. They are really useful insects to have in house since they take care of all the other insect pests that comes in.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Inconceivable

we dont have poisonous spiders here thank jebus, here Uk
Still gives me the heebeejeebees

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stovokor
Also, boiling clove and pouring the water around your house..but this option makes your house uninhabitable for a few hours. Boiling clove stinks to high heaven!

hmmmmm might have to use that one as a last resort!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Htrowklis82
In fact my boyfriend borrows them several times a year for missions on his turf!

Good for you,our sissy cats aint worth a damn on bug patrol.The cats usually look at them and check em out, but if the spider gets too close they back away and sometimes cry.The cats sometimes will even look at me, like they actually want me to kill the spiders.

As for the OP I also hate spiders,never tried the other vinegar recipe that someone else posted,I might give it a whirl though.I usually go to my local exterminator and buy the chemicals they use and spray myself,that has worked better than anything I've tried from the big chain stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

Good Luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Htrowklis82

ooooo Thats GOOD NEWS! I have a cat who recently decided to move in with me, hopefully she'll catch some when they start their attack!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Inconceivable

ewww I do not like the sound of your spiders! Sorry to hear about your friend

Im in the UK so Im not so worried about them biting me, ours dont tend to be so vicious they just march about....

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDONTBELIEVEMYSELF
reply to post by Versa

i man up I Am A MAN A BIGGISH MAN and place a glass over it,then run out of the room and shout for help.

I can get as far as popping a glass over them if they are conveniently placed (ie in the open on the floor) but I have to drink a bottle of wine after to calm my nerves and then there's no-one to shout for help to!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by Versa

I really don't get why so many people fear spiders. They are really useful insects to have in house since they take care of all the other insect pests that comes in.

Well I dont know either, its only certain spiders I dont like, I used to keep a lot of Tarantulas and they dont bother me at all, but the common house spider IS an issue....

I can't train myself not to get the heebie jeebies about them unfortunately.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSouszay
As for the OP I also hate spiders,never tried the other vinegar recipe that someone else posted,I might give it a whirl though.I usually go to my local exterminator and buy the chemicals they use and spray myself,that has worked better than anything I've tried from the big chain stores like Lowes or Home Depot.

Good Luck.

Well Im going to give it all a go this year and see how it goes! I have a 3yr old daughter and I don't want her to see me frightened of a spider in case I pass the phobia on!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Versa
[mor TURANTULAS ARE U MAD
IM Talking about spiders creepy crawly things NOT Giant aARGH things
This is a wind up right?
edit on 12-8-2011 by IDONTBELIEVEMYSELF because: Wind up. none likes spiders forget spelling

top topics

<<   2 >>

join