It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Tobacco Companies Have deals with Junk food companies to spike foods,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I have stopped smoking for about a year now, But sometimes when i eat certain foods usually junk food that, contains smgs aspartame etc, i start to very strongly crave a cig,

Could tobacco company's,and junk food company's, both that sell products really bad for your health,have created a additive that is very addictive, that is placed in Tobacco and junk food, I know it sounds unlikely but the first thing people want to do after eating is smoke,

i Do not crave nicotine now, unless i have just eaten, junk food, if i eat home made food, i am fine and don't even think about smoking,

It does seem tobacco company's that are probably loosing millions due, to how many people in the last 10 years have stopped or are trying to stop, would Make deals with junk food company's to re addict people to smoking with out even putting a cig in there mouths,

i image once the addictive chemical or what ever it is, wears off, your brain receptors Would start to go mad, and behave the exact same way they did when they wanted more nicotine,

Um i think i am going to start keeping an eye on what, food i buy in the future, Cant believe i am still craving a cig after stopping for a whole year,
edit on 12-8-2011 by MX48K because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by MX48K

I dont personally think that they need to be in bed with other companies like that. The tabbacco companies arent hurting for business, and I dont think they need any diabolical scheme such as this to profit more.

Maybe the junk food is a "trigger"? Like drinking a beer? You associate it with smoking?

Edit to add: You say it's been a year? Congrats! I dont think youll ever be over it, though. Addiction doesnt work that way. Once an addict...you know the saying...
edit on 12-8-2011 by InertiaZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MX48K
I have stopped smoking for about a year now, But sometimes when i eat certain foods usually junk food that, contains smgs aspartame etc, i start to very strongly crave a cig,

Could tobacco company's,and junk food company's, both that sell products really bad for your health,have created a additive that is very addictive, that is placed in Tobacco and junk food, I know it sounds unlikely but the first thing people want to do after eating is smoke,

i Do not crave nicotine now, unless i have just eaten, junk food, if i eat home made food, i am fine and don't even think about smoking,

It does seem tobacco company's that are probably loosing millions due, to how many people in the last 10 years have stopped or are trying to stop, would Make deals with junk food company's to re addict people to smoking with out even putting a cig in there mouths,

i image once the addictive chemical or what ever it is, wears off, your brain receptors Would start to go mad, and behave the exact same way they did when they wanted more nicotine,

Um i think i am going to start keeping an eye on what, food i buy in the future, Cant believe i am still craving a cig after stopping for a whole year,
edit on 12-8-2011 by MX48K because: (no reason given)

addictive additive.

Like say caffiene? What other additives are addictive?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MX48K

Interesting question, I stopped smoking for 5 years so I do know about the cravings. I do believe that some of the last to finally go away where the ones that would come on in situations where I would normally always smoke. So that I thought it was more of a psychological thing than a response to some additive.

That being said though I know I have read about additives being used in Tobacco to increase the addictiveness and I guess I don't see it as too far fetched to think the same chemicals might be found in some food products.

nice thread

Wiki List of Tobacco Additives

One significant issue is that while all these chemical compounds have been approved as additives to food, they were not tested by burning

Bronchodilators such as cocoa, glycyrrhizin (a component of licorice), and caffeine open the airways and allow the smoke to be drawn more deeply into the lungs. Levulinic acid binds to nicotine receptors in the brain, and increases the brain’s response to nicotine. Sugars are extensively added to cigarettes, especially “reducing sugars” used for the ammonia technology processes that increase vapor freebase nicotine. In fact, a 1990 Brown & William study found that 11.2-12.9% of Marlboro cigarettes were sugars. (Some of the sugars in tobacco are natural, but tobacco companies also add significant amounts of sugars).

According to Victor DeNoble, a former scientist at Phillip Morris, industry scientists suspected that acetaldehyde, produced by burning sugars, could enhance the addictive effects of tobacco. In the early 1980s, he used rats in researching the behavioral effects of acetaldehyde or nicotine alone, and of acetaldehyde combined with nicotine. He found that the product of acetaldehyde and dopamine was highly addictive, providing evidence that a compound in cigarettes other than nicotine could lead to addiction. (He observed that rats will repeatedly press a bar to obtain acetaldehyde). Furthermore, the experiments of Philip Morris (PM) scientists found that the addictive effect of acetaldehyde is “synergistic” with nicotine’s addictive effect, so that the addictive effect of the two compounds when combined together is greater than the sum of each compound’s addictive effect.

source

edit on 8/12/2011 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

Well new study's have shown that, sweeteners like aspartame, and Genetically modified msgs,can be just as addictive as nicotine, and as dangerous,

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Stop smoking years ago.

I always thought that hot dogs had a tiny taste of cigerettes off them.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We are constantly being manipulated with chemicals. I bet anyone you mention this observation to, will tell you, your insane and being paranoid. I'm not sure about the spiked junk food, but you sound pretty much on target about the insidious nature of the chemical industry. The only problem is that the reality of being constantly bombarded with dangerous chemicals is too harsh for most folks to really get a handle on(cognative disonance), so your warnings will go unheard to most.

BETTER LIVING THROUGH CHEMISTRY

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I dont think youll ever be over it, though. Addiction doesnt work that way. Once an addict...you know the saying...

That's a lie.
edit on 12-8-2011 by BlackStar99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Never been a smoker but...several years ago, around 2006-maybe 2007 I had a taco bell fiesta taco salad. The one with the strips and the delicious freakin salsa! I believe it first was on the menu as a specialty limited time only item. (I am not sure but I think I remember it being that way, it was also more expensive then too) Anyway, I became soooo hooked! I mean it was odd and startled me in a way! I would joke that they must be putting crack in the salsa or something.
Anyway, the fiesta taco salad was taken off the menu for a time around 2008 or 09 maybe. At least it disappeared where I was living and I finally was broken of the craving for it as a result.
Well they brought it back, and I couldnt help it....I had one several months ago and it isn't the same! It does not have that crazy addictive taste. I know this sounds like a joke but I am completely serious...something was going on with that taco bell salad!
Maybe it was something to make the expensive thing sell when the price was up on it....Its cheaper now, and not as good.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Most countries test samples of food before sale, so no.

top topics

join