It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coal-Black Alien Planet Is Darkest Ever Seen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Coal-Black Alien Planet Is Darkest Ever Seen

www.space.com

n alien world blacker than coal, the darkest planet known, has been discovered in the galaxy.

The world in question is a giant the size of Jupiter known as TrES-2b. NASA's Kepler spacecraft detected it lurking around the yellow sun-like star GSC 03549-02811 some 750 light years away in the direction of the constellation Draco.

The researchers found this gas giant reflects less than 1 percent of the sunlight falling on it, making it darker than any planet or moon seen up to now. [The Strangesta
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
well guess if they could find this there is no way a planet "x" could stay hidden and be coming at us. so still be posting on here long after 2012
I'm sure this could also fuel the argument we cant see it also.But we would be having serious troubles by now and we really aren't. this is fascinating that a planet can be this dark though makes you wonder what we cant see

www.space.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Didnt use search>>been posted

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
funny quote:

"It's just ridiculous how dark this planet is, how alien it is compared to anything we have in our solar system"
David Kipping

Certainly a planet only returning 1% of the light is awesome. This sort of findings are so cool. And it is -quoting Kipping- ridiculously close to Earth, what sort of planets and strange cosmic things are now out there...?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AboveTheTrees

Its 750 light years away.

A lot of this is guess work...they cant see the planet

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I bet it must have an incredible rocky looking landscape, would love to be able to go around different planets exploring and taking photos.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

sorry the one posted had different title didn't come up when i checked

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Ridick anyone?

2ndline

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
ATS allows a thread in BAN and one other forum

Carry on please

Thank you

Semper

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Is this nibiru or are we going to die ? I'm so sick of this.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Lul what? This is just a dark planet ...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
A failed black hole?

Black dwarf?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
This is very cool! I wonder if we had a chance to study the planet what we would find out. Also what would find us. I have a filling that there is life on this planet. Don't be a skeptic there has be something on that planet.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by David291

Lul what? This is just a dark planet ...

I know, Black dwarf, brown dwarf ? Red dwarf. They're all starting to melt together, if one is going to hit us. Hit us already and get it over with before most of us go crazy.........wait, we're already there. I wonder what life is on this planet, would be awesome if we found life!

edit on 12-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfGod267
Don't be a skeptic there has be something on that planet.

Just out of interest, why does there have to be something on that planet? Is there any natural phenomenon that would prevent light being reflected? Presumably this can be readily explained by the geological composition of the planet and geographical structure*?

* what discipline would actually focus on the structural aspect of the landscape itself - cliffs, valleys, rock formations etc - that would potentially contribute to this "stealth" effect? Would it be geography or geology or something else? I'm not entirely sure that "geographical structure" is the expression I should be using but I hope you get the general idea.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It might be made of oil, quick build a spaceship and invade it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I hope it's vampires :O Now that would be my dream come true

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord

ROFL
I see what you did there. Thanks this made me laugh. and actually the possibility of this being true (about the oil) is actually there. A vast sea of oil or something like it would be attractive to alien life around the galaxy.

interesting words despite the fact it was meant as a joke :p

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

edit on 12-8-2011 by 31Bravo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

Originally posted by The time lord

ROFL
I see what you did there. Thanks this made me laugh. and actually the possibility of this being true (about the oil) is actually there. A vast sea of oil or something like it would be attractive to alien life around the galaxy.

interesting words despite the fact it was meant as a joke :p

Did you know you can make oil by compressing some organic compouds for a few months, that is what I saw on TV once and the whole thing about it taking millions of years to develop might not be true after all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join