It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Survival: Show 20: High Tech...Red Neck...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ba07808fc03.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, August 11, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net

The gathered a panel of hosts, include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies, with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
Ahabstar
12m8keall2c
Asktheanimals
and
Advisor

This week we will be talking about the Technology of Survival and how you can replace somethings with homemade instruments...

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us some listeners while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. And be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

edit on Thu, 11 Aug 2011 21:01:38 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
A good topic indeed and one near and dear to my heart being one that crafts things out of seemingly nothing.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I expect you will have some interesting input indeed

Should be a Kick Butt Show

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I have a hard time making something out of anything.
I'll be looking forward to the help then Ahab.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 8:00PM EST

Did it already start or is that a mistake?

Either way,another radio show? wow.

Good luck

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

15 minutes yet as of this posting

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Fixed

Thank you

Show in 14 minutes

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Difference between white man and Indian:

White man make big fire, stays warm chopping firewood.
Indian make small fire, stay warm.

(Don't hurt me, this was the version told to me by a NA
)

M.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Booo…….

Not what I call high tech by any stretch of the imagination!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

Mr. Tranny, please know that this is in no way meant to be confrontational as I have read many of your posts in the past and have a great deal of respect for your knowledge on a great number of things. That being said.... I think it was a great show! Perhaps not high tech, but I think there are a lot of people out there, me included, who gained some knowledge of the gadgets out there on the market that target the more suvival minded folks out there.

Semperfortis and the crew... I look forward to hearing the next gadget show you have!! Also, if there is anyone out there that is reading this and has knowledge of it, I am greatly interested in the topic of homemade "MRE's". It was briefly touched upon when the topic of Mountain House came up last night, I can almost everything at the moment and have a dehydrator and vac sealer (which gets used ALOT) as well. Currently I use the dehydrator for fruits and veggies and had not even thought of the possibilities of using it to create homemade MRE's. Does anyone out there have any resources for learning more about doing this? Any shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

Be well and stay safe.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
Booo…….

Not what I call high tech by any stretch of the imagination!

One in every crowd.

Oh well, can't please everyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

See if this is what you are looking for, it's from Dave's youtube channel lot's of good informative clips there

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Awesome, thank you. Yes this will get me started on my way. When I googled "Homemade MRE recipes" I came up with utter...ummm..well....lets say not what I was looking for. Thanks again!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

No problemo

We are fortunate to have someone on the show that is both extremely knowledgeable about Bushcrafting, but also so well spoken and a sincere desire to share that knowledge with everyone, I know I look forward to learning more each and every week!

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Tranny

I will also say that we took a "top 100" list that we found on high tech survival gadgets and we did skip over quite a few. In a true SHTF situation, would you want an improved paper filter mask that reduces condensation from exhaling or would you make do with the old 3 for a $1 paper masks or a wet bandanna as a filter mask? Again they only protect from dust and smoke.

We also skipped over various jump starters that have 12V plugs as well as 110W inverters built in because other than jump starting a dead battery or being a power supply on a 1-3 camping trip near your car (car camping) their was no value.

What did surprise me was there were very few knives or goretex clothing in that list. But then again we have looked over "survival lists" that include portable gasoline generators with electric rice cookers (which is what many of the laughs between myself, Jack and Semper were about). And yes, that list included the commentary along the lines of that boiling rice versus steaming rice was unacceptable even in a survival situation.

It is for information out there that is like that we decided to do this show. There were are people out there that would become lost and die if they were in a small grove of trees and could not see the road despite having everything they needed to survive on them.

Another thing that should be pointed out is that not a single one of us on the show claims to be a survival expert. Not even Dave Wendell. In the course of doing this show, we have found that we all have strengths a weaknesses in areas. But as a group, with all our skills into play. We would do very well. Even in this thread you can see that, Dave is very strong in plants both edible and medicinal. For me, that is a weak point. I am very good at crafting from the things around me. For Dave, that is a weak point. While both of us would be able to survive on our own for a considerable time, together we would thrive by playing off those strengths and weaknesses to our advantage.

In this particular show with the thumbs up or down, you the listener can gain insight as to whether you would consider an item. The Stanley Fubar wrecking bar. Handy in an strictly urban environment or remodeling a house (which is why I do own one--since I was helping do some remodeling and you still need a cat's paw for smaller nails btw) but it is essentially a crowbar with a 4lb sledge combo. Just isn't something I would need in the deep woods even while building a log cabin. Since I can use a small log on a handle as a mallet just fine and make them in short order. Long term tools and crafting are shows that I would like us to do in the future as we become more advanced.

But in the meantime, giving thoughts and opinions on what someone who hasn't had enough mosquito bites at once to look like poison ivy thinks is good items to waste your money on, can save those listening time and money as they consider why we say an item is right or wrong for their situation. A classic example is water filters and Camelbak carriers. I like neither due to the weight. But with one of the quality hand pump filters, you can get water from a mosquito infested water puddle that as I, someone who boils, would skip over. In fact, you would have a quart of clean water in 1 minute. I would be a good 20-30 minutes gathering wood, lighting a fire, filtering some of the sediments with a bandanna, boiling it and letting it cool.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
What I was implying with my post was a difference of definition.

Nothing that the show reviewed could be called “high tech” in my opinion.
All of it was normal day to day stuff that everyone has laying around.

The highest tech thing I could remember in the list was the sterilizer pen.

Batteries are not high tech.
Pry bars are not high tech.
A generator is not high tech……
Heck. The only discerning tech feature of that generator you mentioned was the fact that it was an inverter generator.

This is strictly stuff I would expect to see on normal shows.
That is all I was implying with my comment.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I am still very new as a member on ATS but have been lurking for years is there a podcast of this show? Sorry if this has been answered or was obvious.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

We hope to be able to offer them as podcasts in the future, but as of now it is purely a LIVE show..

This weeks show is on this evening 8PM EST..

here's this week's show thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join