It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to take another vacation at Martha's Vineyard

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
www.examiner.com...

President Barack Obama and his family will be taking another end-of-summer vacation to Martha's Vineyard at the end of August.

It just seems wrong for the President to do this. American families have to pass on their summer vacations when the going gets rough - financially or due to their workload. Shouldn't Obama do the same? Though he's not strapped for cash, he's got a lot of work to do to get this country steered in the right direction. It's not only the wrong time for a vacation, but the wrong place as well. Martha's Vineyard - so extravagant!

And hearing White House Press Secretary Jay Carney trying to defend the vacation to the Press Corps today makes me believe Carney has got the toughest job in the world right now - defending Obama's actions.

www.examiner.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Who is stopping you from going on vacation? Who stopped you from making something of yourself and becoming president? Funny how all that Obama haters hate anyone wanting what others have but none of them want Obama to have any of what he has.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
His head is too blown up to not go on vacation. We give him his pay to do exactly this. He's the man remember? I mean look he almost just saved the economy, he was close, but not quite!

In all seriousness this doesn't surprise me.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
As much as I dislike a lot of what he's done, what is he really expected to do. He can't do anything about the economy, that job belongs to congress. The only thing I see wrong with it is the timing. Other than looking bad to some (which he will regardless because of timing), the only other thing he could really do is call congress back......and they frankly aren't up to the task. There are too many world variables right now for any absolutes, so the best he could do is try and rally the troops as it were, but I think it'll be a little to late.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

He's in the middle of several crises involving the job he chose to do - running this country! In two years when he's out of here, I don't care if he spends 12 months a year on vacation. It will be his own time.

Instead of asking asinine questions like you have, why not expect more from the man who is totally "blanking" up on the job of running this country?

Economy is crap, dead militarymen are being sent home by the dozens, and libs like you think Obama needs a damn vacation!!! Get real!

I'm just sayin', my friend...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
last time he went it was $50,000 a day.

i hope he is using the money from his recent fundraisers.

(we know he isn't)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I feel our country would be in a lot better shape if Mr. Obama had started his vacation as soon as he took office, and continued it until our next President is in power. Sometimes more work gets done when "the boss" is gone. I feel his four year term is one of those times.

See ya,
Milt
edit on 10-8-2011 by BenReclused because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Llying all the time and pretending to be someone you're not is a terrible strain on the CEO. I think he needs at least a two year break.

Somewhere with bars on the windows would be nice.
edit on 10-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

i don't see where it's wrong for Obama to take vacation. take a look at pictures on google from recent past presidents of the usa. they age big time in 12 months. you and i have no idea what kind of pressure such a figurehead is under. i wouldn't want the job.

i think it must be incredibly frustrating to get to sit in the big seat but not be allowed to really drive the bus. and to be surrounded by a slew of opposing party nitwits that can't even agree on which soup should be served at lunch, that crap must grow old quick.

work hard, play hard. balance is very important in life.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

And this is the report of the trip there:

Obama looked at Michelle, chuckled and said, "You know, I could throw a $1,000 bill out of the window right now and make somebody very happy." Michelle shrugged her shoulders and replied, "I could throw ten $100 bills out of the window and make ten people very happy". Hearing their exchange, the… pilot of plane said to his co-pilot,"Such big-shots back there. I could throw both of them out of the window and make 256 million people very happy."!! If you're one of 256 million, pass this on..

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
It doesn't matter if he is at Martha's Vineyard or the White House.

It doesn't matter if he is playing golf or giving a speech.

Nothing he does or doesn't do matters.

The country as a whole has a self-destructive momentum that will not be overcome by any one person or any group of people. All anyone can do is to take their share of blame and then put it off on someone else. That is the state of our Union. We're going under...the sentiment is palpable and easily seen or heard by the people of this country.

May as well take a vacation.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Now
His head is too blown up to not go on vacation. We give him his pay to do exactly this. He's the man remember? I mean look he almost just saved the economy, he was close, but not quite!

In all seriousness this doesn't surprise me.

Yup, your right, he almost saved it, then he opened his mouth and the market crashed.

Forgot to add this, michael's off on vacation again too. www.whitehousedossier.com...
Took Air Force 2, took her mother and one daughter.

Mrs. Obama has in the past incurred criticism for her travels, including an early departure for her most recent Hawaiian vacation and a luxurious 2010 trip to Spain. Most of the costs of her travel are borne by taxpayers.

www.whitehousedossier.com... iteHouseDossier+%28White+House+Dossier%29
edit on 10-8-2011 by Chance321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
In his defense, I live on The Vineyard and it really is one of the only places where very famous people can act normal and mingle among regular people (relatively speaking) and no one makes a fuss. His kids get to be normal for a week. And the image people have isnt accurate. It isnt extravagant here like you might think. Its very non pretentious and rural feeling because no one is trying to impress-they dont need to. Its a reverse sort of elite environment but yes, it is very expensive to vacation here.
Having said that it boggles the mind the size of the entourage he brings with him and the vast numbers of black SUV's and secret service agents. There are hundreds for 3 weeks prior and a week after he leaves. All told the white house rents over 160 houses for a month, stations navy seals in the waters 24/7 around the island, stations a battleship withing a short distance, has security at all surrounding airports and rewired the entire island with hi-tech communication infrastructure. Everywhere they eat is decided and vetted months in advance with multiple options and strict tracking of any foods they may consume. State police, bomb dogs, Federal Marshalls, private sec. details, etc. There are elderly couples that look like regular retired visitors in floral shorts that are actually highly trained secret service and such. You just cant imagine it. It is so annoying and overbearing that when he comes the island and traffic go quiet as no one comes here then anymore. But the worst are the press Corp. who do these daily local "charm" reports as if they just discovered that tomatoes grow on vines or that chickens are an animal and not made that way.
It is no wonder the country is broke.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChicagOpinion
President Barack Obama and his family will be taking another end-of-summer vacation to Martha's Vineyard at the end of August.

You would prefer him bicycling in Texas?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
You know, it isn't that Obama goes on vacation. People slammed Bush for this too and it's wrong on both. Vacations are well and good. It's HOW OFTEN this President is anywhere BUT the White House. Has anyone else noticed this? It's like he has a personal distaste for the Presidential Mansion or something. He and Michelle both spend more time out of town than in it, and it's getting extreme.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

When the going gets tough, Obama runs like a little girl who just saw a spider.

Perception is all the reality anyone gets nowadays.
It was okay to blast congress when they vacationed in Israel, or when they couldn't pass a Dept. of Trans bill.

But if Obama shirks his responsibilities?
"Awwww, poor dinkums, needs him a little rest!"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries

(Presidents) age big time in 12 months. you and i have no idea what kind of pressure such a figurehead is under. i wouldn't want the job.

Yes, Presidents do age at least 2 years in 1 year. Everybody know that, including Obama. Yet, Obama wants the job. And yes, you and I would not want such a job - but he wants it.

Lots of people want tough jobs - but they do the job to the best of their ability. If it means sacrificing or postponing a vacation during bad times, that's too bad!

I just don't think it's right for him to be photographed golfing, treated like a 'celebrity' when he walks the streets of Martha's Vineyard like he did last year, when America is on pins and needles wondering what's to become of the economy and wars. He should be at least as concerned as Americans are - and he doens't appear to be concerned about these things at all. Of course, he wants things to improve so he can get elected again - but that doesn't mean he really cares about America.

As one recalls, Bush stopped golfing entirely during the bad times because he thought it was sending the wrong message. Maybe Obama just doesn't care if he comes across elite, arrogant and offensive.
edit on 10-8-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (of typos)

edit on 10-8-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Being President and Commander in Chief is not exactly a strict 9 to 5 job. I would imagine periodic vacations would be needed so he doesnt snap and invade canada.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Well every president needs a good long break because usually the economy belongs to Congress. I mean you get tired after having a long and stressful debate then you get tired. I'm pretty sure Obama wants to fix this mess so bad.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i d like to see obama throw out a 1000 dollar bill since they arent in circulation anymore and they stopped making them long ago.

talk about out of touch and ignorant ok well stupid america is burning the credit downgrade seal team 6 was just killed and hey lets go on vacation.

ats terms and conditions prevent me from finishing this post id hate to get banned over that loser the potus.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join