It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AMA: I was a paid Internet troll.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
For almost five years, I was a paid Internet troll. Yes, I admit.

But first let me state that I never performed my job here on ATS, though I believe I have occasionally seen a handful on here who were using a script similar to what I was assigned.

I cannot and will not name names, but after an internship at a firm with government and political party (Republican) contracts, I was offered the position of "Online Communications Associate" at another company by someone from the original firm for which I interned. My contract completed one year ago, and I have since moved on.

Utilizing six artificial personas, I was active in social networks and bulletin boards. But since I came to love and respect this site, as I stated, I never performed my functions here. Each week, I and presumably several others, were provided with information to use in our online postings. At first the information was comprised of fully conceived scripts, but as I became more and more experienced, it eventually became simple bullet or talking points.

At first I needed to provide links to my postings, but when the company name changed (never knew the real names of any people there), that requirement stopped.

The pay wasn't very good, but since I was working from my apartment, I suppose it wasn't bad and I was able to do several other writing assignments on the side.

AMA

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
So who on ats do yo suspect as being on the payroll? Love your user name half sorry really? What subjects did you put down? Ufo's? Alternative energy?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
how exactly did you or do you do the trolling ?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen.

If yer not doing it any more, there's no good reason why you can't provide specifics. You could be trolling right now.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsalert
So who on ats do yo suspect as being on the payroll? Love your user name half sorry really? What subjects did you put down? Ufo's? Alternative energy?

I hesitate to name names, as I said. Nevertheless, it's been some time since I've been privy to the talking points, and at best I would only guess.

My script was completely focused on politics, generally supporting just about any extreme conservative position. I never received anything outside that thematic.

link   
Hello and Welcome to ATS
I hope you find what you seek here
20 posts will come quickly and then you can start a thread
The past is past...follow the rules and you will be fine

Again welcome to ATS

link   
reply to post by halfsorry

So what all did you have to do? Can you give us an example of what you were looking for? Like, what kind of posts would you attack, example of how it was worded? What was your offense? Like, give us an example of a made up conversation between you and the poster you would attack, how a normal drill would go down.

Do this, and I can guarantee your sins will be cleansed. This is your redemption, you don't owe it to us, but you owe it to yourself. Go ahead, get it off your mind, it's fine, we're good listener's around here. You'd be offering the community a service here that we could all learn from and prepare for. We need to know what to look for. You'd be a great asset to the community. This will help you feel better in the end for all the wrong you've done as well. Of course I know that's how you must feel. I'm not judging you.
edit on 10-8-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

link   
Welcome to ATS!

Wish I could get paid to be an internet troll, I'd do it!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
So in your experience - how can one spot a paid troll? What are the signs. If you are half sorry, at least share secrets of trade.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
you could be trolling now...

did you really join in 2006 and only make 2 posts or is that just an error on the site?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
how exactly did you or do you do the trolling ?

I simply posted the provided scripts, usually with modifications, within targeted topics on several different sites.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I never posted prior to this. I was originally assigned this site, which is why I joined.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
How much were you paid and who signed your checks?
How many hours a week did you work?
Which sites were you a part of?

These are reasonable questions and I see no reason why you can't answer them and name names.
The more information you are willing to give out the more seriously you will be taken around here.
If you are being honest but refusing to answer tough questions then you will most likely be treated as a liar, in my experience at least.
Please be forthcoming with EVERY aspect of what you did and all will be fine.
Thank you for this thread as I believe we can learn alot from you.....hopefully.

Please and thank you.
edit on 10-8-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Welcome to ATS!

you already do it for free!

(sorry i couldnt help it, im only joking btw)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
dude, I have another theory, what if the gov is paying people to purposely deny or debunk or disprove aliens/ufo sightings on all of these forums to keep a skeptical image on it all?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfsorry
reply to post by Misterlondon

I never posted prior to this. I was originally assigned this site, which is why I joined.

that actually does add a little weight to your story.. but if you know the site, im sure you will already know, a high number of introduction threads have been trolls, looking for attention with wild claims.. i mean you could just be trying to be ironic with your post..

prepare yourself for the onslaught.. unless of course you do provide some good evidence..

welcome btw..
edit on 10/8/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Welcome to ATS!

you already do it for free!

(sorry i couldnt help it, im only joking btw)

LOL I see the humor!

link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
So in your experience - how can one spot a paid troll? What are the signs. If you are half sorry, at least share secrets of trade.

I cannot say that I've witnessed a great deal of it here. In all likelihood because politics is not a significant focus.

The three most active sites, from what I gather, have been Digg.com, Reddit.com, and the comments on Huffington Post. Such activity will be difficult to spot, as we were careful to refine and revise the scripts so that duplicate postings didn't happen.

That being said, if you're seeing someone posting on monday morning in exuberant favor of something that was fervently pushed in conservative media over the weekend, there is a chance that may have been one of us especially of the topic was critical of the conservative media.

link   
reply to post by Gwampo

Hell of a theory you worked up there but I'm afraid that's been the topic of many a discussion around here already and you can bet your sweet ass it happens.

link   
Can I call BS on this whole thread.

There are always thread on ATS about paid shills and this is clearly someone who is copying those introductions “ask a.......” anything. This is a flag garb.

I can already predict the 67 pages of ironic trolling.

That is all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join