It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea Fires Artillery Off Yeonpyeong After Hearing Shells From North

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

South Korea’s military said it fired two artillery rounds after hearing three explosions coming from the North near the disputed sea border that was the scene of a deadly shelling in November.

The South Korean shells were fired into waters, said a defense ministry official who declined to be identified, citing government policy. The exchange of fire comes a month after both nations said they would try to revive multilateral talks on the North’s nuclear-weapons program, signaling an easing of tension between the two rivals that has been an irritant to U.S.-China ties over the past year.

Source: www.bloomberg.com...
edit on 10-8-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Here we go again... Probably nothing different than the other 1000 times this has happened before, but with the tension going around the globe this isn't really cool. Last thing we need is a major conflict breaking out between those two. I seriously doubt anything will come of this, but felt it needed posting anyway. Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The only difference I see now is that America can't really help defend South Korea from North Korea. If they try to help, then America's economy falls harder than it is now. Then I wouldn't be surprised if there are riots similar to the U.K. riots. That's the way I see it going down though.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Did the South Koreans just release details of an attempted assassination organised by the North, target being the defence minister? My best friend is from SK and always tells me stories about the constant exchanges between the two countries. Surprising the North would do this after asking constantly for aid. If you ask me, SK should just put ahalt on all aid and try and twist their arm.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychoReaper4

Yeah North Korea could be taking advantage of the situation. This is an interesting bit I found on Yonhap and there is also a thread on ATS about it.

SEOUL, Aug. 10 (Yonhap) -- North Korea is apparently trying to assassinate South Korea's defense chief known for his hard-line stance against Pyongyang, government sources here said Wednesday.

A source said Seoul has "received intelligence" that North Korea is after Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoReaper4
The only difference I see now is that America can't really help defend South Korea from North Korea. If they try to help, then America's economy falls harder than it is now. Then I wouldn't be surprised if there are riots similar to the U.K. riots. That's the way I see it going down though.

America has hardly begun to muster its military might. We have a rather small military at this time. We can swell the ranks rapidly to handle any problems. The economy is not a limitation on war, it is benefited by war. As you recall, we got involved in WWII at the Great Depression, and the USA flourished.

Not a problem. Bring it on.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

NK and SK need to just ##ck and get it over with.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

I saw that earlier too, If that succeeds then that will be the last draw.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

War costs money look at how much we piss away on the current ones we're in now. We can not afford to get involved with another, otherwise the American dollar WILL tank, and then it'll be HELLO GLOBAL DEPRESSION.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Nothing will come of it again. Sometimes I just wish they would get it over with. I will flag and keep a eye on this thread.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
S&F for the OP. beat me to the post of the news

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I hate it but you ever get the feeling like maybe we should just get it on?
JUST everyone quit the lobbing the little stuff at each other and all the posturing and junk talkin and even though a lot of us are going to die, well, just get it on.
Then it can be over with one day maybe. It's all really just so stupid.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

You don't want that. War is hell. What could possibly be worse than war? I
can't think of anything. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The problem is not what we think. It's the way we think. We want to
answer everything with aggression. The average person is so conditioned
to conflict and violence that rarely do we ever stop and think that there
might be a better way. I don't see how war can offer a better solution for
anyone...except for the bankers and war financiers. And even then it's
not a solution. They're only feeding their addictions and sooner or later,
in this lifetime or the next, they're going to hit a wall just like anyone else
with a monkey on their back.

Seriously, who stands to gain the most if NK and SK go to war?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Homefront the game anyone?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

There is a thread already on this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Im pretty sure one or two seal teams or delta force teams, could handle and situation that comes up in North Korea. This is not a concern. Plus, we already have thousands of rangers and fleets in the North Pacific for this specific situation.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Man our hands are tied. We're neck deep in doo doo. Our government and its excessive spending and giving away free money is putting us into the poorhouse. We've given Iraq 720+billion dollars since Bush Jr. Invaded Iraq to get his daddy's oil well back. We've given Israel billions of dollars as well. Our government is passing out money hand over fist, were literally hemorraghing money out of our behinds.

I predict an end to the worlds police force. We simply cannot afford to extinguish other peoples wars anymore. Most likely we will end up returning the the Isolationism that George Washington advised us to never leave from. If another world war happens or you guys get another Hitler youre on your own this time! All the upheaval and civil wars going on in the middle east, i wish you good luck and God bless. We will retreat to our own borders and any messes you all get into its your deal.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kellynap43
Im pretty sure one or two seal teams or delta force teams, could handle and situation that comes up in North Korea. This is not a concern. Plus, we already have thousands of rangers and fleets in the North Pacific for this specific situation.

you realize the N. Korea Army is one of the Largest & most brutal standing armys on the planet right? and China has their back to the fullest because China would be ignorant to let America wage a war/amass troops on their Doorstep...I think that's a bad thing to get involved in cause keep in mind Kim Jong Ill is a clinical Psycho and will nuke everybody including his own hope we leave that war alone...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Not to mention if we get involved, most definitely China will start attacking us, then more money down the drain.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Not to mention if we get involved, most definitely China will start attacking us, then more money down the drain.

I've got an idea that if our government doesnt reign itself in, were probably going to end up in another revolution or another civil war on our own. Some states are already talking about another seccession. We simply CANNOT afford this damned government anymore. This is a train wreck waiting to happen and its going to take us all with it if we dont jump off. The next Confederacy to form wont be about slavery, its gonna be about money, and once again about states rights to govern themselves and to force the Fed to take the backseat where it should have been all along.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join