It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N Korean hit squad sent to South

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

N Korean hit squad sent to South

www.abc.net.au

North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy
Updated August 10, 2011 15:22:33

The media in Seoul are reporting that the communist North has sent an assassination squad to kill the South Korean defence minister.

Defence minister Kim Kwan-jin is reportedly being targeted for his tough stance against Pyongyang.

The JoongAng daily newspaper in Seoul is reporting that South Korean and US intelligence authorities have discovered the North sent an assassination team to kill Mr Kim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
www.abc.net.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
North Korea demands peace treaty with US

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Explanation: This does not bode well for the world.

Personal Disclosure: Suddenly the fallout from Fukushima seems small in comparison to a completely irradiated Korea [North and South].

The situation has been ramped up to extreme levels of political and military pressure and I wonder how China feels about this?

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It's not the first time North and South has sent hit squads into each other's countries, though it does seem more worriesome with the world in the state it is in today.
edit on 10-8-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Not good
My sister just left today for S. Korea on an Army mission. They are coming up with a plan incase N. Korea attacks S. Korea. Actually, slightly funny - when I asked her what she was doing, she said "Sitting on the border looking at North Korea and shaking my finger while saying 'No No No, stop being naughty.'"

edit on 10-8-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Perhaps this is the reason for the White House cancelling all public events on 08/09? (Ats Thread)

Or are they trying to divert attention from the financial markets or perhaps something else?
Very interesting, thanks OP.

-xekron

Edit to add: S. Korea fires shots after N. Korean artillery lands near maritime line separating the two countries - AP - This might even deserve it's own thread, but relevant and I can't post new threads yet anyway, don't know how credible this source is, but also reported here: (Google translate link)
edit on 10-8-2011 by xekron because: Added related news

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If they succeed then this will probably be the last straw.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Well, lets just add another nail to the global coffin.

The world seems to be spiraling into chaos, this would fit with everything else that is going on, NK must be feeling lonely with the world busy looking at all of the other things happening.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
The only word I can think of to describe the situation is "immature".
North Korea:"Take that!"
South Korea:"Ow! America! North Korea is shelling me again!"
America:"Sigh..Now North Korea, we've talked about this. Use your words."
North Korea: "No! You're not the boss of me! I do what I want!"
America: "China, will you please control your ally?"
China: "You worry too much, they're finnne. Boys will be boys"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos
The media in Seoul are reporting that the communist North has sent an assassination squad to kill the South Korean defence minister.

I think I saw that movie.
Shiri
Turns out the guys girlfriend was the head assasin, unrecognisable after plastic surgery.

But I thought Oldboy and even My Sassy Girl were better.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The North Fired shells toward the South and the South fired three warning shots back.

SEOUL, Aug. 10 (Yonhap) -- South Korea fired three shots toward the tense western sea border after one North Korean shell apparently fell near there, the military here said Wednesday.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said the South's Navy heard North Korea fire three artillery shots toward the Northern Limit Line (NLL) around 1 p.m. Wednesday, and then responded around 2 p.m. with three warning shots.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yonhap is reporting the same sentiment that the North is trying to assassinate their defense chief.

SEOUL, Aug. 10 (Yonhap) -- North Korea is apparently trying to assassinate South Korea's defense chief known for his hard-line stance against Pyongyang, government sources here said Wednesday.

A source said Seoul has "received intelligence" that North Korea is after Defense Minister Kim Kwan-jin.

english.yonhapnews.co.kr...
edit on 10-8-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Hardly a tense standoff hey?I fire a warning shot and an hour or so later you fire one back.....so let us then be warned for another week or so till we do it again.....
Ho Hum...this is getting monotonous.....
Tho i do remember the north sneaking squads thru tunnels to the south before this.......

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Are things heating up over there all of a sudden or something? Just saw another thread about the two countries firing on each other with artillery.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CeeRZ
The only word I can think of to describe the situation is "immature".
North Korea:"Take that!"
South Korea:"Ow! America! North Korea is shelling me again!"
America:"Sigh..Now North Korea, we've talked about this. Use your words."
North Korea: "No! You're not the boss of me! I do what I want!"
America: "China, will you please control your ally?"
China: "You worry too much, they're finnne. Boys will be boys"

I think it's more like this:

Kim Jong-Ill: "DIE South Korea! DIE!!
South Korea: EEEEK! NATO HELP US!!
NATO: Now, now, Kim Jong-Ill, If you leave your little brother alone, we will give you Candy Bars!
Kim Jong-Ill: OTAAYYYY
Kim Jong-Ill: NOM NOM NOM
Kim Jong-Ill: "DIE South Korea! DIE!!
South Korea: EEEEK! NATO HELP US!!
NATO: Now, now, Kim Jong-Ill, If you leave your little brother alone, we will give you Potato Chips!!
Kim Jong-Ill: OTAAYYYY

Rinse and repeat. Bribing people only delays the inevitable. War isnt something you are going to get prepared for, sometimes some people just have to die. That person is Kim Jong-Ill.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Am I the only one that wants to see this happen? I am sick to death of hearing about this Kim Jong Il and his little spoiled brat kids.

His people are basically living in a different world. They are brainwashed and or imprisoned in that little country.
He keeps having his little temper tantrums. The North needs to be taken by force, integrate the 2 populations, success will follow! Kill that little fat headed midget!

North and South, repressed and not repressed. It's pathetic! I don't give 2 flips what China thinks.. Rock the north with a strategic 3AM bombing run, taking out the artillery, storming the border at the same time. Don't fret the war ships strategically placed along the coast, will take out the remaining bunkers. Drive them into the capital, take the capital, proceed with the 21st century! Jack Daniels, Grey Goose and Marlboro's for all!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShaunHatfield
Rock the north with a strategic 3AM bombing run, taking out the artillery, storming the border at the same time. Don't fret the war ships strategically placed along the coast, will take out the remaining bunkers. Drive them into the capital, take the capital, proceed with the 21st century! Jack Daniels, Grey Goose and Marlboro's for all!

What could possibly go wrong......

Hey, what happened to Seoul.........

As Wikipedia puts it:
"A megacity with a population of over 10 million, it is one of the largest and most densely populated cities in the world" - Wikipedia on Seoul

I'm no modern military strategist and maybe it could be done. But the risk is enormous. As Mikeyy said, the Kim thing throws a tantrum and the west gives him goodies. Perhaps it's because he's actually extremely dangerous, him and his cohorts. Basically, it seems to me that the North has the South hostage by virtue of the fact that the North is Sociopathic and the South is within their reach.

My personal concern is for the people involved, but for western world leaders Seoul is an enormous asset, it's a golden egg. More from the wiki:
"Today, Seoul is considered to be a leading global city, ranking among the top ten global cities in the Global Cities Index of 2010. It is one of the world's top ten financial and commercial centers, home to major multinational conglomerates such as Samsung, LG and Hyundai-Kia. In 2008, Seoul was named the world's sixth most economically powerful city by Forbes." - Wikipedia on Seoul
It's "their" Shiny.

But as I say; for me, lighting up the North at 3am is a bad idea because of the potential mortal danger that would be faced by over 30 million people.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CeeRZ
........'No No No, stop being naughty.'"

edit on 10-8-2011 by CeeRZ because: (no reason given)

Sorry to hear she went over there, but that has to be the funniest thing I've heard in a while

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by longtermproject

Oh, believe me...I laughed.
She used to be in the AAF before switching to the Army, and has been on several tours in the Middle East, but this will be a first in Korea. And strangely, I'm more worried about her there than I was when she was in Afghanistan. My younger brother just left to join Special Forces too. Sheesh... I may as well join the Navy just to make it interesting.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Let's hope the South doesn't send decide to send a retaliatory group up North. They tried that before and aborted at the last minute, killed their own men, covered it up, then they made a movie when the truth came out. Silmido.

Great film but a shame it's based on truth.

edit on 10-8-2011 by wigit because: speling misteak

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well sounds like you got a pretty patriotic family.... just be careful out there, I don't know if now is the right time to be getting into the military.....

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Usually hit squads who enter North Korea either get killed or they get detained by the government, besides they are technically invading a country ... or entering illegally but in any case someone will catch them, and they will be arrested.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join