It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Finds Rich People Lack Empathy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
That would be great if it weren't for the fact that GMO's cause disease and also destroy native crop species, allowing Monsanto to takeover....

Link for that?

It's because of people who say things like this that malaria still exists today. If DDT hadn't been banned malaria would probably be wiped out entirely by now, the tests that showed it killed birds were seriously flawed.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The DSM shows the following as symptoms for Antisocial Personality DIsorder, also known as Psychopath:

The symptoms of antisocial personality disorder include a longstanding pattern (after the age of 15) of disregard for the rights of others. There is a failure to conform to society's norms and expectations that often results in numerous arrests or legal involvement as well as a history of deceitfulness where the individual attempts to con people or use trickery for personal profit. Impulsiveness if often present, including angry outbursts, failure to consider consequences of behaviors, irritability, and/or physical assaults.
Some argue that a major component of this disorder is the reduced ability to feel empathy for other people. This inability to see the hurts, concerns, and other feelings of people often results in a disregard for these aspects of human interaction. Finally, irresponsible behavior often accompanies this disorder as well as a lack of remorse for wrongdoings.

Sounds like a lot of the Wall Street/DC/banker folks to me.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I prepared over 3,400 tax returns over the course of 9 years. Two things I noticed.

#1 - The higher the income, the less the charitable contributions. I've had some returns where I just blurted out "Seriously? $10 in charitable contributions??" on a $200,000+ income.

#3 - The lower the income and higher the tax freebies such as Earned Income Tax Credit, the nastier the folks were. I'd tell them they were getting a "refund" of over $5,000 and they'd be practically over my desk yelling "Is that ALL I get???"

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

That would be great if it weren't for the fact that GMO's cause disease and also destroy native crop species, allowing Monsanto to takeover....

Link for that?

It's because of people who say things like this that malaria still exists today. If DDT hadn't been banned malaria would probably be wiped out entirely by now, the tests that showed it killed birds were seriously flawed.

There are over 19 peer reviewed studies that show GMO's cause disease.

www.responsibletechnology.org...

www.stopagingnow.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well one thing I have realized after i ran into some money...People constantly ask for help and ask for money ALL the time. People come out of the woodwork and pretend to be your friend just to ask for some money. You are their go to guy. After a while you just start saying no and stop losing the guilt for doing so. If i helped everyone who asked I would be broke. Also when you help someone once they tend to keep coming back and they usually show no gratitude for your help. They just think you should be obligated to help them because money isn't one of my problems. I am sure this is why rich people are losing empathy. Also I feel like i have had hard times and been in their situation and i didn't expect anyone to bail my ass out. Figure it out, work more and play less, stop buying new iphones you dont need and cant afford. I say this because most of the people asking me for cash usually are dlcking around with a $400 phone they could sell. But wont part with them

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

There are over 19 peer reviewed studies that show GMO's cause disease.

www.responsibletechnology.org...

www.stopagingnow.com...

And all of them have been scientifically flawed in some way.

www.actionbioscience.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Link for that?

DDT is actually still used in Africa, where malaria is most prevalent. It's not used to spray crops though. but rather around houses and villages to stop mosquitos from entering their homes.
edit on 10-8-2011 by hypervalentiodine because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by hypervalentiodine
DDT is actually still used in Africa, where malaria is most prevalent. It's not used to spray crops though. but rather around houses and villages to stop mosquitos from entering their homes.

And if it hadn't been outlawed in most places malaria would probably be either gone entirely or incredibly rare. The fearmongerers do nothing but slow the advance of human civilization and technology. Nuclear power, GMOs, less diseases: I honestly think we'd be living in a golden age if it weren't for the scientifically illiterate sheeple.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

And if it hadn't been outlawed in most places malaria would probably be either gone entirely or incredibly rare. The fearmongerers do nothing but slow the advance of human civilization and technology. Nuclear power, GMOs, less diseases: I honestly think we'd be living in a golden age if it weren't for the scientifically illiterate sheeple.

I agree. Carson did nothing but create a barrier towards a quite viable protective measure. I still don't think DDT should be used everywhere though. I think it is suited as a last resort, where malaria and dengue are quite prevalent.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Then go build your own golden age.

LoL you blaming others for not acting how you would have preferred. I agree that there are many scientifically illiterate however at the same time all those who are scientifically literate tend to be physically weak and unable to actually build any of their golden ideas.

Mind over matter only goes so far.

Fearmongerers are necessary for global warming, so don't act as like they are only keeping science back. ManBearPig would be very angry if he heard you say his fearmongering was detrimental to his cause.

How is all that science going to stop hate and in justice. Justice, I consider to be the most dangerous substance on this planet as it trumps all religion and laws and so often is used for evil.

Many wealthy folks, especially those of inheritance rather than those who earned it, tend to feel that it is just that they are rich. And justice needs no empathy as it has the final word.
edit on 10-8-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This study just told us what we already know about members of the human race no matter what their economic status is. We have nasty people who are rich and nasty people who are poor. Thanks for this groundbreaking study.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

reply to post by circuitsports

No, they're rich for the most part, because they inherited it. So they can be lazy or not, irrelevent.

Are you saying that people are only rich because someone else gave it to them or they didn't work for it?

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Class warfare.
Who cares.

To add, I hope this makes many of you "feel" better. Because life is all about feelings and not a pragmatic view of how things are.
It's those self-same feelings that get played upon when they try to manipulate you to do something.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
maybe people with alot of money realize they can't fix everything. ten million dollars is alot on a personal level, but when you are loaded everyone asks for money.

if you won the lottery, say ten million =P, everyone you know would want a piece of the pie. family you haven't heard from in years, "friends" who are no more than casual acquaintances, neighbors getting foreclosed on.

does it make you heartless for turning them down?

though in practice, the rich tend to be stingy. "the things you own end up owning you"

btw, i'm in the lower echelons of the middle class. i don't dislike rich people, but the more money you have, the more opportunities to misuse it. that i dislike.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
You know, when I was at university (in Australia and Moscow) I actually made money by being a "psychopath". I participated in many psychological experiments.

I have zero empathy for people who I think are not deserving of it. But I experience true care for certain people (admittingly, it is very arbitrary y rare). I think not that that this study is so factual. You see, unfortunately I was born into the capitalist world. And I have simply learnt to work the system.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Rich people ain't nice and nice people ain't rich. It's called greed.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by tkwasny

Step 1: Define the results of the "study" you want to provide for your bombing run on your opposition.
Step 2: Study some groups of data to determine how to manipulate the spreadsheet formula to produce the results in step 1. Make it up if not available.
Step 3: Acquire useful idiots, stooges and shallow minded, wobbly-kneed sub-humans to shout holy terror the implications of this horrid result. MSM

It is against T&C to crib and claim it for your own!

YOU, Sir have been reading How to lie with statistics
[/sarcasm]

Or was it from the course Propaganda 101???

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I'll say this. I have one friend who is very rich. She was born into money and has always been rich. While she's a good person, has a decent heart, gives a lot to charity and genuinely cares about her friends, she does often seem to lack the ability to understand others emotions in interpersonal situations. I have no idea if this is somehow related to having grown up in the setting she has or if its something else, like maybe a touch of Asperger's syndrome.

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have studied Empathy for the past few decades. I can see why many would think there might be a connection with empathy and wealth, but I assure you there actually is not -- it's not true. It's much more involved than that. If it were true then most rich people would be dicks (and granted some are) and most poor people would be nasty (again, some are).

Suffice it to say, there is no correlation whatsoever with wealth and empathy or empathy and wealth.

We are born with a clean slate, so to speak ... 'tabula rasa'. As far as being born with the ability to learn empathy it can get complex and technical. But, to sum it up, if the Oxytocin Receptors in the brain, along with the specific part of the brain that perceives and feels emotions, doesn't develop properly (birth defects, harmful medications, accidents, heredity, child abuse/neglect ... and/or other causes) it interferes with the ability to feel empathy and one becomes devoid of empathy or emotionally detached -- plus empathy must also be taught from infancy all throughout childhood and continuously reinforced. A child is not actually born with empathy.

We are either born with the ability to LEARN empathy OR we are not born with the ability to learn empathy, for the reasons cited above.

So, if we are born with the ability to learn and to feel empathy for others, then that ability absolutely must be nurtured, and on a regular basis, all throughout childhood ... and even into the teen years. If it is not nurtured and reinforced, then the fact that we were lucky enough to be born with the ability to feel empathy won't matter.

So, again, there's no correlation with the ability to feel empathy and one's bank account/assets.

I hope this information helps. J.A.N.A.12
edit on 11-8-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I am (and I use this word very deliberately)>extremely......non social, which has contributed to relegating me to poverty. (Howard Hughes, -became- cloistered, but was not always so?) And one on one encounters with people is problematic for me. Sometimes, it's not good.
But......My sheer hatred for unjust suffering in this world, makes me lose sleep at night. I always wish there was a world lottery in the jiggagillions, and I won it, I'd make sure as much as I -possibly- could, to ensure the eradication of despair everywhere.
I'm really odd, I guess.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join