It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive total economic collapse: Act Now

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am reading so many expressions of anguish because of the responsibility people feel towards family (and also employees) in the face of growing financial pressure that I thought it worth offering some pointers which could even make a difference should the whole system tank.

The answer is not going to drop into anyone’s lap. The only way to get through will be to act. The time to view current events as abstract economics is clearly gone. We are all being affected, and we will all reap the future rewards of decisions taken and policies pursued by those responsible.

Be proactive. Sit down and make a plan.

* Assess your priorities. What expenditure can you cut out now — before things get any worse? Can you do without any of the services you currently pay for? Can you at least find a cheaper provider? Be more ruthless than ever before.

* Accept that we now live in different times, and we all need to cut our cloth accordingly. It is nearly always possible to reduce food bills, and with determination it is often possible to reduce fuel bills: drive less, and drive more slowly. Can you share some journeys?

* When time comes to pay for large annual bills, is there an option to shift to smaller, regular payments? (Just beware exorbitant interest.)

* Is it time to consider supplementing your income? A small part-time job? Maybe you would never have considered it before. Times are changing. Are there items you could sell? Reassess, and act.

* Might it actually be time to consider moving from a job that is looking increasingly insecure to one that pays (?considerably?) less, but is more secure? Think about it. And act.

* Last, but not least — do you know someone who is in more difficulty than you? Is there anything you can do for them? Act. If you help someone else survive it will boost your self-esteem and increase your determination in the face of events over which you have no control. (And you never know — before too long you may find yourself needing someone else’s help too...)

The main point is: there are things we can do. We are not entirely controlled by circumstances beyond our control. When times are relatively easy we all tend to sit back to an extent, and accept our circumstances. It just won’t work in a massive crisis.

The real answer to the economic woes of our time is massive austerity: a ruthless cutting back of government expenditure in carefully targeted areas. But the masses are too used to having everything put in their lap, and they won’t accept it willingly. But if we swallow hard and accept the necessary pain on a personal level we can all get through. But it takes guts.

What suggestions can you add?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Stick your head between your legs and kiss your fanny good-bye!

I suggest a large veggie garden and a few chickens..if the SHTF at Keats you will have some food.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
buy a fishing licence/tackle, learn to purify your own water and buy a basic survival book that specializes in where you wanna be because if your able to feed yourself an build shelter whats the worry??

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
And I say buy a fishing licence because poaching will become amazingly more punishable I'm sure

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NewsWorthy

The worry is a lot of folks have a whole bunch of other folks they're responsible for...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
If you can afford it stock up fast and now. Prices are going to go through the roof.
Plus your money might be worthless anyway.
Before buying anything, ask if you 'need it' or 'want it'.
Share the cost of big, occasionally used items with a friend or neighbour.
If you live in a city and can't move for some reason - look to your house security but also have a preplanned route out and an emergency kit ready to go.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought

The worry is a lot of folks have a whole bunch of other folks they're responsible for...

I have a girlfriend with 3 boys and I'm fishing in California which isn't the greatest fishing but I can supply regular high protein meals...I understand maybe not everybody has the oppurtunity to grab their family and go and I'm not saying that it's the best option...but it's a pretty darn good option to have for not much money...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewsWorthy

I have a girlfriend with 3 boys and I'm fishing in California which isn't the greatest fishing but I can supply regular high protein meals...I understand maybe not everybody has the oppurtunity to grab their family and go and I'm not saying that it's the best option...but it's a pretty darn good option to have for not much money...

also I didn't mean to imply it as a run for the hills type thing...I lake fish and pier fish regularly in my hometown which is a major City in the San Francisco Bay Area

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Great OP and I agree...however we are also dealing with (myself first hand) an entire couple of generations that basically have "ridden the wave of not only their parent's success and excesses but who are also simply not ready to do "what is necessary..."They do not get it...not at all.

They refuse to believe or accept that things ARE changing and the world we "knew" that functioned smoothly for a while for many is never going to BE that way again!

I know people going into DEEP debt at the middle-aged point to satisfy wedding-whims,continuing education ploys to avoid having to get a job,paying for palatial homes that they NEVER shoul dhave built based on their incomes,and dealing health concerns due to private pay insurance (people don't realize that many small biz owners MUST pay their own health care out of pocket,few options for group insurance in many service industries oif you only employ a small number of people) that are in effect slowly killing them bite by bite and WILL prevent many from any sort of "retirement..."

SO many are USED to the "good life" or being able to keep up the appearance of it that they truly do NOT know where to begin to live more simply or to reduce extravagant spending habits!

Niche market for someone: setting up a biz that advised "how to" manage your life WITHIN your means!!!Specific life-recipes for living within what you save (not what you make
and how to make do with quality but less... I know a small handful like myself who are "okay" because we keep it simple and reasonable with a lot of creativity in the mix! Most of my friends are BURIED and HAPPY right where they are! No one PLANS to pay down their debt and are only concerned with the ability to make basic payments month to month...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It is sound advice. But the more people you are responsible for, the more you need a wide range of options.

reply to post by starchild10

I assume you are talking a sensible stocking up on basic staple food & drink, (as opposed to panic buying). I agree entirely. It is time to think and act.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

What suggestions can you add?

Use some of that money you save by cutting back to buy guns, and lots of ammo.

I agree that we should help others when we can, but in the event of a total economic collapse you will need weapons for two things: Hunting and self defense. The hunting part is pretty obvious, but what most people don't realize is that humans are savage animals, especially when they are hungry. There are people who will take whatever you have, and they will kill you in the process.

My advice? Buy weapons in various calibers, and 500 rounds for each weapon; and if you don't already know how to use them, LEARN. Quickly.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
edit on 8/8/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Yup.. Cause those who didn't prepare and have guns will be coming after your stash..

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
You're scaring me, guys. Maybe if you build a real reputation for helping out you'd find you wouldn't be a priority for violent attack. Worth considering...

reply to post by irishchic

SO many are USED to the "good life" or being able to keep up the appearance of it that they truly do NOT know where to begin to live more simply or to reduce extravagant spending habits!

That's sadly true in many cases. The new economics is Live within your means.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Join a band of merry men master thieves, because these folks will have the expertise to adapt and overcome "ANY" situation and survival will just be an after thought

edit on 8-8-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's time to plant a garden or learn to garden.

It's not difficult, and can be a lot of fun for the whole family.

Seeds are cheap. You can supplement your income with nice fresh veggies.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Well said.

Though I'm going to have to agree with the hillbillies
that your vegie patch might require some form of protection.

A dog, perhaps?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Living in Denmark thats not really a option, guns are illigal here. You can get a weponlicence, but theres requirements. I need to get a hunters licence. after that if i want to buy a rifleIi need to apply for a licence for every wepon i buy.

I got a licence for swords and such, but that dosent include anything balistic like a bow/crossbow....or even a shuriken
Very strict rules on when I can transport the swords and how. If I walk around with a pocketknife longer than 7 cm. I risk a visit in court for illigal weponpossesion.
Edit: Seams quiet stupid that i'm allowed to have a sharp katana, a morningstar or a warspear but im not allowed to make a blowgun or cut the head of a nail and make it sharp in both ends, since this would be seen as a Boshuriken.

edit on 8-8-2011 by Mimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
There's more to survival than guns, my friends.

Here's the living proof:

ATS discussion
edit on 8/8/11 by pause4thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
One that flies in the face of the MSM driven message:
Hold off as long as possible on paying off debts, ESPECIALLY fixed interest rate debts. If the value of the dollar keeps eroding, there's really no reason to pay off dollar denominated debts until that devaluation process has gone quite a bit further.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Interesting suggestion. How sure can we be that penalties incurred for non-payment would be counteracted by falls in the dollar (in the short-term, in particular)?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join