It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to survive total economic collapse: Act Now

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
There's more to survival than guns, my friends.

Here's the living proof:

That was great, it absolutely made my day. Thank you

Now who is going to protect that baby when a man, or several men, break into his house looking for food, jewelery, or yes, guns? What are they going to protect that baby with? Please don't tell me you would try to reason with them.

Which do you think would be a more effective deterrent: "Please don't hurt my baby" or "BOOM! ... Who's next?"

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Not suggesting non-payment, just saying that the push by the MSM 3 years ago for everyone to pay down debts as quickly as possible should certainly be reigned in right now. That concept ruffled me back in 2008 largely because I saw the likelyhood of dollar devaluation and hyperinflation of prices as being close at hand. The media and many in business were pushing the idea of making larger than needed payments on all debts to get out from under owing money at that time mostly (in my opinion) in an effort to get ahold of consumer's dollars while the currency was still of solid value.

Nobody should stop paying their bills if they can manage to make the payments right now. By the same token, it really makes no sense to pay more than the minimum right now while the dollar is still losing it's value and we have no idea where "bottom" is.

(The same holds true for any form of currency currently in decline.)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

The guy you're pointing that gun at is also someone's baby. (Just worth bearing in mind.
)

I have no doubt whatsoever you're a resourceful kind of person. What else have you got for us?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

...The real answer to the economic woes of our time is massive austerity: a ruthless cutting back of government expenditure in carefully targeted areas. But the masses are too used to having everything put in their lap, and they won’t accept it willingly. But if we swallow hard and accept the necessary pain on a personal level we can all get through. But it takes guts.

What suggestions can you add?

i will interject that Social Security taxes, taken from weekly payrolls have supplied the Billion$
that the Congress has wasted over the decades. (instead of using a 'balanced budget' approach.)

Now... the predators in Congress are trying to persuade the common folk... that their over-spending by using the Social-Security piggy-bank monies are NOW our duty to suck up and contribute even MORE $$$....

its a fact that for the last 30-40 years that multiple Congress'es have robbed the only sure revenue source they could steal from... the SS Fund that sat there unprotected (until they voted it to be included into general revenue... and thus spendable outside the SS Trust account)

all these lechers should be hung if still alive or discredited beyond the grave and the survivors benefits taken away from the beneficiaries....

these people knivved to steal from the general population that paid additional taxes from the payroll tax and are noe getting demanded to reduce their 'fair share'[ by some crap called 'Austerity'...
get the Empiures military out of their Wars immediately instead of pilfering/stealing from the SS Trust even more.

A-holes populate the 2 houses of Congress... lynch 'em all

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

reply to post by OldCorp

The guy you're pointing that gun at is also someone's baby. (Just worth bearing in mind.
)

I have no doubt whatsoever you're a resourceful kind of person. What else have you got for us?

Resourceful? You have no idea.

EVERYONE is somebody's baby, and I would feel terrible if I had to take a life even if I did it to protect my family; but if it's him/them or me/us, well I'm sorry but that's just a no-brainer.

I chose the Mad Max biker to illustrate my point in a comical way, but if there is truly a SHTF situation, I can guarantee that biker gangs, or other sub-culture gangs like the Crips, Bloods, MS-13, etc., will be a force to be reckoned with. They are already armed (heavily,) they have a military-style command structure, and they have already proven that they consider themselves above the law.

Imagine the havoc roving gangs of bandits will cause when there is no longer a functioning government. Even now, with the country under the rule of law, the government and the various police agencies are having a hard time keeping what they call "Organized Crime" (It's not just the Mafia anymore
) in check. MS-13 and the Hell's Angels control nearly all of the methamphetamine production in the US, and they violently protect their turf, killing anyone who gets in their way.

One can just imagine how violent they will become when their literal survival is at stake. I can definitely see a Mad Max world in our future.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Keep at LEAST 10 gallons of water on you. really, much more. 10 gallons will only last a family a few days and one person perhaps two or three weeks.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by m1991
Keep at LEAST 10 gallons of water on you. really, much more. 10 gallons will only last a family a few days and one person perhaps two or three weeks.

Another tip:
I heard, that in a survival situation if there is no water available, you can drink your own urine.
So I always take a two liter bottle of it wherever I go just in case.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

St, I sense a little frustration. How can those who share it channel it constructively?

reply to post by OldCorp

Touché.

Imagine the havoc roving gangs of bandits will cause when there is no longer a functioning government. Even now, with the country under the rule of law, the government and the various police agencies are having a hard time keeping what they call "Organized Crime" (It's not just the Mafia anymore ) in check.

Even as you were typing your point was being amply illustrated by events in the UK:

(that was before last night, when many large buildings in London were ablaze, and the violence also spread to several other parts of the country)

Latest news reports detail how (in Croydon, South London,) "...the kids took over the streets, and the police just stood back". The guy who was invited respond said "The police just don't have the resources... maybe it's time to start thinking about asking the military to get involved. People are losing their livelihoods, and people could have been killed in those fires..."

You're worried about the crips and the bloods in the US? Spare a thought for the people of London:

If dem foreign bruvvus couldn't take the heat I suggest keeping a low profile...

(but we digress)

Whatever the challenges, those who pull together are far more likely to get somewhere than those who practice disorder, seriously.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SilverShield

Thinking for yourself is essential, I agree. But the issue here is really survival — just getting by. Preferably whole communities will help each other through. Seeing the causes doesn't put food on the table, important though it be. A lot of folks find themselves in fairly dire straights and are wondering how they'll get through an even bigger crisis, should inflation get out of control, etc. Political activism is all well and good; but if a society starts to pull itself apart it's the little guys who come off worst. Some may see this as a 'control mechanism'. But at the end of the day any civilized society needs a system of law and order, and that inevitably involves the presence of elites. Even communism never got beyond this.

At the end of the day most people just want to pull through.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The Fed-fools have pretty much confirmed there IS no "backstop...." Options are running out.
I think Pause's notion of re-assesing your life on an individual basis is VERY wise at this point!
No one is going to care if you gain,lose,or flounder at this point,it's pretty much everyone for themselves...
I agree with the notion of power in numbers and community,just need ot fund what community means to many

The next two years are looking to be fairly telling in many ways...if they DO cut the entitlements (and they should,I could tell you stories realting to here in South Texas that are unbelieveable!) the prepared,willing to work,and strong of heart will be the ones to come out and thrive!
See what is needed...start a business...be fair and care!

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Touché.

Nobody ever said that to me before. That was cool.

Whatever the challenges, those who pull together are far more likely to get somewhere than those who practice disorder, seriously.

Precisely my point. I don't intend on bugging out with my family to live in the woods unless tanks start rolling down my block.
Where I am is more than defensible and I'm surrounded by extended family. I feel we are much stronger standing together than standing alone. I'm not, after all, Mad Max.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join