It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

asking ats not to do something

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
must be a newbie

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
too complex for me... can you simplify it a little?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
can i post yet or is there more content!?

Seriously though:

Chill out, its the internet.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kadmiel

So,what exactly is this thread about?
When you decide,please let us know!

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
F&S. this thread has blown my mind. I no longer need to search for answers. I have found what im been looking for.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Its about respect , respect enough to wait for an experienced creator of interesting threads to finish his work .
Some people just don't seem to get it

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
hes talking about the senior memberstrying to make a multi part thread and before finishng, gets flooded with t/c violations, off topic posts, and the like. trolls all around

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
Its about respect , respect enough to wait for an experienced creator of interesting threads to finish his work .

No, they get it. Some just enjoy being immature morons. That's their kick in life.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

This ^
Respect goes a long way, many on ats have a problem with it.

I know what this thread is about, about not giving a poster the time to make a thread complete, and thinking you can have an opinion on something that isn't complete.
People that love to hear themself talk.

Sad bunch.

Hoping that thread will be posted again when the 'trolls' go to bed.

edit on 8/8/2011 by OnlyLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Just a thought.

how about actually creating your thread, formatting it, THEN posting it?

all of this is easily solved if you merely wait until you actually have your content before you open the thread. i'm not exactly sure why it's a race to open threads then "fill them in later" it serves no purpose at all, except to give the trolls somewhere to be annoying.

When talking about a multipost thread, coming from a decent contributor, I'd expect them to write it up much like a blog post, in word or such, before actually placing it on the forum. There simply is no reason to post an empty thread, then fill it in later, it makes no sense and always ends the same, people posting in there asking wtf is up with an empty thread.

I get it, you have a following, you want people to pay attention to you and your posts, they still will even if you wait to open the thread.

for the record, this is a forum. Specifically, a discussion forum. If you want to post pages of information that aren't open for discussion, I suggest you create a blog. You can't honestly expect people not to post when you open a thread, even if you ask them, think about it.

If it's merely a matter of the thread being derailed in the middle, there is an alert button.

I'm personally sick of threads with no content, and I can't see a logical reason to do it at all, it serves no purpose.

edit on 8-8-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is about the thread where some guy got angry about people not wating to write replies before a multi part story about ufos was complete, I belive.

I understand why the author got angry, but I dont understand those multi part threads.. is there a limit to a thread post ? if there is should we not ask the mods to remove that limit so we would avoid this in the future.
OR being able to lock the thread until its ready to eat

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
this wouldnt be an issue if we could lock our own threads, till they were ready to "reslease"

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

this wouldnt be an issue if we could lock our own threads, till they were ready to "reslease"

don't open the thread until your content is ready, problem solved.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

If your posting over several post boxes it takes time , submit part 1 , copy /past and format part 2 and so on .
If you ask people in the title not to post until finished , why is that not a good enough reason to look at another thread until the post is finished , why post in the middle of someones work .
Sad

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

reply to post by phishyblankwaters

If your posting over several post boxes it takes time , submit part 1 , copy /past and format part 2 and so on .
If you ask people in the title not to post until finished , why is that not a good enough reason to look at another thread until the post is finished , why post in the middle of someones work .
Sad

because its the internet and theres always somone who will think its funny for 5 seconds to interupt what could be an excellent thread.

I am not saying its okay, shows a lack of respect for the forum and its members.

What im saying is dont be supprised with the tens of thousands of members that it happens.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I don't get why they were making their post multi-part. That box isn't the limit of what you can post at one time. It has a scroll bar when you reach the bottom. I use Firefox and it puts a re-size point on the bottom corner of all input boxes. You can stretch it to whatever size you need. That or compose your post in a text editor.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

edit on 8-8-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kadmiel
must be a newbie

This thread you created is in the rant section...so I will rant about how ridiculous it is. The title is (asking ATS not to do something) and the short sentence you typed.

Really...what is the point?

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I guess we're not supposed to name names, but I did see that thread. Frankly, I think the experienced revered poster is over-reacting. He really created the issue himself by insisting, as he often does, in multiple thread posts. He did not run up against post length limitations; it's his style. So basically he got angry because people were not conforming to his style. This is a person who does not like to be wrong--ever. Whatever he writes is perfect by definition. I did not see the "interfering" posts because every single one of them was eliminated for one reason or another. I suspect this was done by a moderator who reveres this poster as well and I wonder if that was also not an over-reaction.

Technically, I have discovered by experience that it is a very bad idea to edit long posts online. It is FAR easier and less dangerous to use a word processor, then copy & paste. That's not because some human will interfere; it's because internet glitches happen, and once you lose a long post, it's difficult to muster the energy to do it yet again.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I must have missed something

Anyway,

If you are trying to make a thread with several posts, and don't want people posting before you finish, can't you just reply to your own post several times to "reserve" the first few posting spots?

Then just come back and edit the information in later?

Seems like that would solve the issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join