It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenina "smells" like bitter almonds, Hydrogen cyanide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

Cyanogen is the chemical compound with the formula (CN)2.

Dust emanating from Halley's nucleus, contributing to the coma and tail, would also arise partly from these solids. Indeed, secondary species such as CN have been widely detected, as well as HCN itself and particles consisting only of H, C and N. Our continuing investigations suggest that the yellow-orange-brown-black polymers are of two types: ladder structures with conjugated -C=N- bonds, and polyamidines readily converted by water to polypeptides.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I've noticed a slump in the reporting of earthquakes which tells me that there is nothing to fear about that type of drama from Elenin. I think the chances of HCN killing us all is pretty far fetched this thing and it's tail won't come within any real distance to Earth. The only real hope of disaster were global earthquakes or possibly the execution of Yellow Stone erupting but if there is no continued increase in seismic activity then I'd say we are in the clear of any disaster related t it. I do however believe that it may be a sign of things to come as often it was referenced in ancient cultures to represent the pre-cursor to great change.

Just my thoughts on it thus far... Has been an interesting journey though learning more about the various theories relating to it as an impending doom comet.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Anybody ever read the book "In The Days of the Comet" by H. G. Wells? This is reminding me soo much of that.
Check it out: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Cyanogen is the chemical compound with the formula (CN)2.

Dust emanating from Halley's nucleus, contributing to the coma and tail, would also arise partly from these solids. Indeed, secondary species such as CN have been widely detected, as well as HCN itself and particles consisting only of H, C and N. Our continuing investigations suggest that the yellow-orange-brown-black polymers are of two types: ladder structures with conjugated -C=N- bonds, and polyamidines readily converted by water to polypeptides.

Thank you for making yourself look so silly. As you have just proved, Cyanogen is different than HCN. That sinks your das bot

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The ultimate poison pill eh? I'd never thought of comets quite that way before.
I wonder what it would take to design probes that basically function like missiles to deliberately crash onto these comets. It would be very useful to get a video/atmosphere sample right from the surface of these beasts rather than guessing and figuring equations from a distance. Surely with all man has developed for war and ICBM's, we can adapt something that would get real answers on Comets?

Hah, here's a conspiracy for you.........

This message has been released in the hopes that many people will read it and accept it as fact. This way, when the government begins to drop HCN all over the country and possibly the world, they'll be able to show us that it wasn't them, it was elenin. Isn't HCN one of the most effective poisons known and is stored in huge quantities by the government.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaxCavalera
I've noticed a slump in the reporting of earthquakes which tells me that there is nothing to fear about that type of drama from Elenin. I think the chances of HCN killing us all is pretty far fetched this thing and it's tail won't come within any real distance to Earth. The only real hope of disaster were global earthquakes or possibly the execution of Yellow Stone erupting but if there is no continued increase in seismic activity then I'd say we are in the clear of any disaster related t it. I do however believe that it may be a sign of things to come as often it was referenced in ancient cultures to represent the pre-cursor to great change.

Just my thoughts on it thus far... Has been an interesting journey though learning more about the various theories relating to it as an impending doom comet.

Please define "real" distance.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

As far as I know the tail on this comet is only 40km long (only probably sounds odd to say there) but in terms of distance from Earth to this object. The closest it ever comes to Earth will be approx. 0.2au (1 au = the distance from Earth to the sun) so this comet will be coming just under 1/4 the distance from Earth to the Sun which is still a VERY large distance compared to it's relatively small tail.

Also, I don't believe the tail will just drift like a trail of space debris in our orbital pathway (maybe the smallest portion ever could be I seriously doubt this).. why?

Because in space there is no friction, so any object moving in a trajectory at a given speed will continue to do so unless it's motion is altered by an external force such as gravitational pull or electromagnetic pull or of cause thrust. So pretty much the tail of the comet will be dragged behind the comet at a continuous relative speed as it passes through our orbital pathway and the debris left behind would be very minute if any at all were left behind.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Thank you for making yourself look so silly. As you have just proved, Cyanogen is different than HCN. That sinks your das bot

No, I pointed out that in 1910 they knew C2N2 was part of the make up of Halley's Comet, and people thought they were going to die from it.

I also linked the more recent study (ie. Not 1910) that shows not only was C2N2 on the Comet but also HCN.

You can't highlight only one word from a block of text and expect it to mean something else:

Indeed, secondary species such as CN have been widely detected, as well as HCN itself and particles consisting only of H, C and N.

Translation, HCN was widely detected on Halley's Comet.

Grade 6 reading level should be able to comprehend that.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I wonder if they had fear mongering in the days of the Dinosaurs?

Maybe...

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I just find it interesting that Elenin has a composition of HCN.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join