It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenina "smells" like bitter almonds, Hydrogen cyanide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Comet Elenina "smells" like bitter almonds, Hydrogen cyanide

spaceobs.org

M. Drahus, University of California at Los Angeles; Bin Yang, University of Hawaii; and J. Hoge, Joint Astronomy Centre, report the detection of HCN (Hydrogen cyanide) in comet C/2010 X1 on July 30 when at heliocentric distance r = 1.07 AU. Observations between July 30.153 and 30.249 UT at the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope show the J = 4-3 line with area about 0.1 K km/s in antenna temperature scale. Assuming an isotropic production of gas at velocity 0.5 km/s and a Boltzmann distribution of energy levels at 50 K, the derived HCN production rate is 1.5 x 1025 molecules/s, comparable to the mea
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is some strange new information. I’m sure there will be many armchair astronomers state that comets are frequently composed of hydrogen cyanide. We know by this aricle that Comet Hartley had approximately the same composition of HCN. I do find it interesting that Earth may pass through this cloud or trail of HCN, and wonder just how it will be absorbed and dissipated. I also question if the solar wind will assist in the degradation of HCN. Will it also break down when it comes it contact with our atmosphere is another question.

spaceobs.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
The ultimate poison pill eh? I'd never thought of comets quite that way before.
I wonder what it would take to design probes that basically function like missiles to deliberately crash onto these comets. It would be very useful to get a video/atmosphere sample right from the surface of these beasts rather than guessing and figuring equations from a distance. Surely with all man has developed for war and ICBM's, we can adapt something that would get real answers on Comets?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Did any other comets wipe us out with HCN? No... I think we are okay.

HCN production rate is 1.5 x 1025 molecules/s, comparable to the mean level measured in comet 103P/Hartley at the same heliocentric distance in late 2010 (Drahus et al. 2011, Ap.J. 734, L4).

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

HCN production rate is 1.5 x 1025 molecules/s, comparable to the mean level measured in comet 103P/Hartley at the same heliocentric distance in late 2010 (Drahus et al. 2011, Ap.J. 734, L4).

I don't know. I wasn't around when the dinosaurs died.
Were you?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

yes. i was there...three THOUSAND years ago when the courage of men failed. wait, what? ohh...different story. =P

if comet elenin came close enough, it might cause a problem.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

No I wasn't but Halley's comet came in 1910, we passed through it's coma, and my grandmother was alive...

it was the first approach of which photographs exist, and the first for which spectroscopic data were obtained.[13] Furthermore, the comet made a relatively close approach of 0.15AU,[55] making it a spectacular sight. Indeed, on 19 May, the Earth actually passed through the tail of the comet.

One of the substances discovered in the tail by spectroscopic analysis was the toxic gas cyanogen,[71] which led astronomer Camille Flammarion to claim that, when Earth passed through the tail, the gas "would impregnate the atmosphere and possibly snuff out all life on the planet."[

His pronouncement led to panicked buying of gas masks and quack "anti-comet pills" and "anti-comet umbrellas" by the public.[73] In reality, as other astronomers were quick to point out, the gas is so diffuse that the world suffered no ill effects from the passage through the tail.

I wonder if they had fear mongering in the days of the Dinosaurs?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

For anyone too lazy to read the blue text, I will spell it out:

• Halley's comet had Cyanide, in 1910 we passed through its coma...
  • Grifters and fraudster sold fake pills and umbrellas to people to protect themselves.
  • Scientists pointed out the amount of Cyanide was inconsequential.

The End.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

How dare you try and spew truths here, lol.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

You are trying to mix apples and oranges here. For starters comet elenin will not be impacting earth.

The dinosaurs were killed when a meteor struck earth. Comets are not meteors, if they were they would be called meteors.

Dont try and take facts and spin it so it prooves your point.

And in case you are wondering, HCN is also found in fruits that have pits so I guess we should all be dead by now.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

so your saying that comets cannot hit the planet..?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SeattlesFinest

No I am saying that this one is not going to hit us.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

This was already posted here. And as I said in the other post, other comets have had the same properties. Review link.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Also

1.5 x 10^25 molecules/s

Is a tiny amount.

ALS

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
OMG, E.T is GASSING US. sssssssssssss, can you hear that? sounds like a leak. ssssssssssssss smells like almonds. sssssssssssss where's it comming from? Wait a minute here, CAN ANYONE call the gas company and tell them there is a leak of grand proportions spewing from elenin. Get them to shut that off. will you.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

i agree whole heartedly with this statement hovever, did we travel directly into the tail of Hartley like we will be with elenin? You must take that into account i do believe.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

ohh shoot... I thought we were going to have a fascinating argument.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SeattlesFinest

lol, sorry to disappoint you. Perhaps on another thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

No I wasn't but Halley's comet came in 1910, we passed through it's coma, and my grandmother was alive...
I wonder if they had fear mongering in the days of the Dinosaurs?

Yes they did, it was called T-Rex

However, do you know the composition of Halley's Comet?
I wonder if it had HCN?

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Circa 1910.
edit on 7-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Circa 1910.
edit on 7-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure what is say's,"cyanogen gas"?
Really?

edit on 7-8-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join