It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic ‘teen repellent’ being used Guelph, ON

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
www.guelphmercury.com...

What this is it is a device mounted 3 meters off the ground and it makes a tone that is audible by teenagers, older people can't hear it since hearing degrades naturally as a person ages..

Some argue that it threatens the human rights of teenagers, coming from a city that lacks a outdoor skate park as well as other things for teenagers to do it isn't fair to teenagers if they just loiter.

They city was having problems with it with noise complaints from people living around the one skate park when it was around a few years ago.

But anyways Canadians have bought the majority of those, partly because they’re less likely to get sued over use of the product than Americans are, but look what happened when the city threatened to sue the one shop owner for the three stooges / staff comparison, ( www.abovetopsecret.com... )

The Mosquito has four volume settings and can be set to target different age groups. With a range of up to 60 metres, it can be used to keep trespassers out of construction sites, city parks, stairwells and parkades, and away from convenience stores, shopping malls or, the company boasts, “anywhere where loitering is a problem.”

Pretty soon people will find out who the business is and will protest it, people here like a good protest.
edit on 6-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
We have had these in the UK for many years.

They put them outside places where groups of teens lurk.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
what kind of sound is it sending out? Is it painful or just annoying?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
ahh yea, and it worked well, but it seems I have quite exceptional hearing, I can hear the phone ring when a loud machine is running, but those who have really good hearing, will have problems with these businesses, I know my story should be on Alternative news but social issues and civil unrest works even better for this.

Guelph more is the problem in this case as it doesn't offer much for teenagers and it causes them to loiter after they dismantled the outdoor skatepark in 2009 they are still currently seeking a solution to this.

its an annoying noise from what I am recollecting nothing painful, if it was painful then the business would be open to a lawsuit.
edit on 6-8-2011 by hypr2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I don't see why they would spend the money for this gimmick.
You want teens to exit the area then crank up some Lawrence Welk music. To their age group LW or Big band is music kooties they will run for the door.

edit on 6-8-2011 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NecroDjinn
what kind of sound is it sending out? Is it painful or just annoying?

It was extremely painful for me.
I checked it out in a youtube video once and threw my headset off almost immediately.
edit on 6/8/11 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What the hell do they play? Like Michael Bolton music only audible to teenagers? Barbara Streisand? Slim Whitman? How about Zamfir and the pan flute. Oy, that sh$t'ld would make anyone nauseaus. You Canadians are just about as facsist as the U.S. . The government I mean not the people! We should NEVER confuse the two because as with every country on the Planet, they are exclusive from one another. Government = sociopathic dictator wannabe's or in some countries is's. People = the vast majority good guys and gals all of them. Of course we've got some psychopathic sh$ts out in the public sector too. Look at Wall St. Loaded with self centered scumbags...ooh sorry bad term....service to self individuals as opposed to service to others. So here is another example of how totally screwed up the world is. And in Canada no less! And they say change isn't coming? The Creator's gonna send Shiva and put a Cosmic blow torch to this place and fry the asses of those most deserving. Because it's a law of the Universe my freinds and not like the U.S. Constitution that polititians use for toilet paper, but a real Divine law...you get back what you put out. So evil, sociopathic crap out...eventually it is coming back to you. So think happy loving thoughts my freinds. Become super hippy right now because it's all on it's way back! Namaste.
edit on 6-8-2011 by HUMBLEONE because: Because Richard Lewis is sending me telepathic messages

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
its 17.5 khz....most adults can't hear it. I can and it is really annoying after a few moments...google and try a listen. Its totally true most adults can't hear it...i played it for 3 of us and one 24 yr old girl and one 38 year old male...i was 33 at the time...and they thought I was joking...they couldn't hear a thing...i wanted to toss my laptop after like 30 seconds lol

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Drala

its akin to nails on a chalk board or a dog whistle...so kinda painful agreed lol

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
tonegen has a demo where you can mess with sound frequencies, binural beats as well if you're interested in that. 17.5khz is the frequency they use, when I heard it for about 15 seconds it sounds like you can still hear it a bit afterward.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It's not uncommonly used, and it gives off an annoying sound kind of like a mosquito buzzing, hence the name. I can hear it perfectly, and I'm 24 years old. I know for a fact that they use it outside of a major shopping center downtown in my city where many drug-using teens loiter at the main entrance. Not sure how well it affects all people, but some just tune it out, resulting in people loitering anyways.

I am wondering if this may have some association with "The Hum" I've read so much about people hearing all over the world.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
So, where is my sonic politician repellant?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Okay, maybe a mosquito buzzing is the wrong words to describe it. The pitch is unbearable for most though.

How high can you hear up to? My fiance (age 29) can only hear to 10 000, I can hear the entire thing easily. Our 9-month-old had to cover her ears while I played it, but it didn't seem to bug her too much.

edit on 6/8/2011 by andriod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/8/2011 by andriod because: (no reason given)

top topics

join