It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hybrids trump handicapped at liquor store

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Get this - hybrid vehicles and low emissions vehicles now get preference over the handicapped when it comes to parking in New Hampshire. Even the mayor supports the decision.

NASHUA — Three reserved parking spaces for hybrid and low-emission cars at the new $3.3 million state liquor store are located closer to the store’s main entrance than the handicapped parking spots, causing at least one lawmaker to call the design a slap in the face to the disabled.

“To choose to display such blatant priority for special interests over seniors, wounded veterans and others who have mobility difficulty is deplorable,” said state Rep. Peter Silva of Nashua. “The (liquor) commission owes the public an explanation as well as a plan to remedy this situation immediately.

Link

I can guarantee you that this bullcrap will not last long... I've already called my Senator.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I agree with you!.................. this can not last as its unethical!

What next eh?.......Maybe do away with priority parking for disabled altogether??.......Or a V.I.P que pass for hybrid car drivers??

I don't know why they bother with this bureaucratic BS!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by zerozero00

Not only is it unethical, it violates the Americans With Disabilities (ADA) Act. It also sets a very dangerous precedent.

If it lasts a week, I'll be surprised.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

I hope your right and this will be dismissed within a week!

This would not make a nice precedent!

I wish you luck with this!

and

I'll keep an eye on this thread awaiting your update of how this all unfolds!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
You should better protest state owned liquor stores first.... The government selling drugs and outlawing stuff like weed. What a farce.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I have a friend who is a quadraplegic and I am aware of handicap parking. What burns me up is when you see someone pull up and put on a placard and get out and walk into the store. GGrrrrrr

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hmm, why cant we see the whole scene of the store in the picture? Probably because the reporter does not want you to see that the wheel chair ramp is to the left of the handicapped parking spot. Handicapped parking spots are not placed closest to the entrance of a building, they are placed closest to the ramps of a building. Story seems bunk to me.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

this can not last as its unethical!

Quit your gibberish about unethical. What the hell is ethical about America I'd have to ask. From its inception to its creation to its staying in power...nothing ethical.

You want to argue ethics? Go argue with two nuclear bombs.

:-)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

LOL

ChillOut!

Jeeze ATS is so full of hotheaded paranoid posters nowadays!

All i can say to you is!...."I Hope You don't become handicaped yourself, and have to cope with the ignorant and discriminated system that is currently in place"!!!!!!!

I'm sure there is many threads you can vent your anger on other than the handicapped!!..NO??
Try the rant forum......or even better go to the weapons forum and lose your anger there!!!

Anyway!
have a CHILL pill guy!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

You're just using double speak, that's all. And then feel to attack me? Maybe try and understand the point of a post before responding.

Ethical...

The intellect is really really falling.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini

Quit your gibberish about unethical. What the hell is ethical about America I'd have to ask. From its inception to its creation to its staying in power...nothing ethical.

:-)

Also!
As Your post has pissed me off a little!
I want you to explain your take on this matter or do you just verbally spout crap in all discussion rooms?

How does making a person(Just One) struggle and suffer any more than they already do for an able bodied healthy hybrid car driver not be unethical??
Or is it these people don't count or are irrelevant in your world?....if this is the case, why did you post on this thread?
Ta!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by professornurbs

I'm a OIF/OEF disabled veteran and I use a placard. I can still walk does that mean i'm wrong?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs
I have a friend who is a quadraplegic and I am aware of handicap parking. What burns me up is when you see someone pull up and put on a placard and get out and walk into the store. GGrrrrrr

Handicaps don't have to be physical in order for you to get a placard. Ive heard of people with mental handicaps get them to. Just saying.

That said, there needs to be more handicap spots than hybrid spots thats just dumb

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What about the handicapped DRIVING a Hybrid? They should get a parking spot inside the store.

Make new laws making it mandatory for all handicapped persons driving Hybrids access in the lobby.

Kinda like wheelchair access. Who cares about the costs?

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
How R' us Woodchucks gonna get around a dirt road in the middle a winter in a damn hybrid? LET ALONE come mud season! Those daw gone Toyota Priapisms got NO ground clearance to speak of, getcha hung up. I say they're caterin to the flatlander. "Live free or die" my ass. Might as well be livin in Massachoozits. Stay the hell a way from my "Wild Turkey"! Sons a bitches!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Just kidding! I hope a smile to somebody? Smile's would be hard to come by these days if you let it get to you. Back to the thread, ridiculus! Some polititian got his/her palm greased and there you have it. I am suprised, New Hampshire's becoming quite the nanny state! Namaste.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Zerozero00 is right. You need to chill out. Your remarks are way off topic and don't belong here. You want to argue nukes? Go start another thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
For those arguing for the hybrids, please state your reasons. Why should hybrid drivers get special parking spaces, esp. those that get priority over handicapped drivers/passengers? Makes no sense to me. The average hybrid owner is a health nut anyway, and not harmed by walking a short distance.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by professornurbs

There are various degrees of being handicapped. My father has a placard because he has bad hips, a bad back, and COPD which makes it hard for him to breathe. He still walks, but slowly and needs a shopping cart to prop him up. That does not mean he does not merit a handicapped parking spot.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

Hmm, why cant we see the whole scene of the store in the picture? Probably because the reporter does not want you to see that the wheel chair ramp is to the left of the handicapped parking spot. Handicapped parking spots are not placed closest to the entrance of a building, they are placed closest to the ramps of a building. Story seems bunk to me.

This is brand new construction, genius. They built it wrong, is all. There is no designated spots for ramps; that would be stupid. They are built where needed, for delivery and for handicapped.

<<   2 >>

join