It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN-backed tsunami warning system test in Med NEXT WEEK!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Straight from the UN web site

"First test of UN-backed tsunami warning system to be held in the Mediterranean"

"2 August 2011 – Thirty-one countries are set to take part next week in a United Nations-backed test of the tsunami early warning system in the North-Eastern Atlantic, the Mediterranean and connected seas, which have experienced strong seismic activity over the years, although less frequently than in the Pacific Ocean.
The warning system was first established in 2005 by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) established under the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

The purpose of the exercise to be conducted on 10 August is “to ensure effective communication between regional and national centres and tsunami warning focal points,” according to a news release issued by UNESCO.

The exercise will include sending test messages via electronic mail, fax and the Global Telecommunication System from the Istanbul Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute (KOERI, Turkey) to all the national centres and tsunami warning focal points in the region.

“This should reveal possible dysfunctions in the dissemination of warnings,” stated UNESCO. “Indeed, the fast transmission of data and reactivity of national centres and country focal points are crucial for the effectiveness of the entire tsunami warning system.”

Seismic activity in the region includes a powerful earthquake in the Azores-Gibraltar Fault zone and subsequent tsunami that destroyed the city of Lisbon in 1755, as well as the 1908 tsunami that took the lives of 85,000 people in Messina, Italy. Weaker tsunamis have been observed more recently, including one generated off the coast of Algeria in 2003.

Taking part in next week’s test will be Belgium, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Egypt, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lebanon, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Syria, Turkey, Ukraine and the United Kingdom."

www.un.org...

OK I know what I'm thinking given what's going on seismically around the Med at the mo? What about you guys?

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Good find Jane, interesting times ahead indeedy.

st.
edit on 5-8-2011 by SatoriTheory because: Must learn to read.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Interesting news! This has never been done before...

It is really suprising to see how different governments are carrying out tests, reminding citizens about how to prepare for emergencies, have emergency kits home, prepare for strong solar storms...

Do they know that something really big is going to take place and they are checking if they are prepared?

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Thank you, both of you!

It's just a shame that it seems as though most of the other Brits on here are more interested in another thread....can't say about any other Europeans, I have not noticed many on here TBH, but I thought there would be more interest, especially as US has had one credit agency downgrade them....but there you go, hey ho,....will be interesting indeed if a tsunami does occur say Monday and of course 'they' just 'happen' to be practicing this eventuality........you know where I'm going with this......

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Why would you assume this is anything other than a test? Other places have tsunami alert systems and that's just what it's for.

Tsunami's cannot be predicted you know.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Not sure what your angle is, OP...

The Med has suffered some of the worst Tsunami's ever recorded in the long history of Human habitation.

Makes sense to have a system built to warn people, especially given the small size of the Med and the population that lives there, it would need to be working 100%..
edit on 5/8/11 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Hawaii runs tests all the time

and so does Japan. I'm sure other countries do also that are in high threat areas.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Right now the earth is under the strain of a solar flare that is showing the same data as the one that hit before the Japanese earthquake.

The U.S credit rating gets down graded, and the potential for a complete collapse of the markets ensues on Monday.

The U.N issues a tsunami warning test for the medditeranin next week.hmmmm.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
Right now the earth is under the strain of a solar flare that is showing the same data as the one that hit before the Japanese earthquake.

The U.S credit rating gets down graded, and the potential for a complete collapse of the markets ensues on Monday.

The U.N issues a tsunami warning test for the medditeranin next week.hmmmm.

Yes it's under the same type and you'll notice nothing is happening. Solar flares have no impact on earthquakes by the way.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Cuuld you throw me a couple of links to read up on this?

I would appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Your logic there shows as much sense as me saying,

"Now, I really like Mushrooms. My girlfriend had a baby last year, and I forgot to pay my Gas bill. That means that we're definately going to have rain tomorrow!"

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I have not assumed any such thing.
Also if you read the article it is the first time they are working together on this.
And yes I do know tsunamis cannot be predicted!
If you want to talk down to me, then please do it through private message and not try and turn my thread into some battleground.
As to your other comments, please look up the word condescending.

Jane

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Agreed....and this is the first time that individual governments in the EU are coming together.....
Jane

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Again Kro...go check out the EQ and volc thread....even our academically respected and esteemed (which are words I cannot apply to you or myself), PuterMan is reserving judgement on whether solar flares, CME's and the like can or cannot affect EQ's, volcanic eruptions etc.
Jane

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Your logic there shows as much sense as me saying,

"Now, I really like Mushrooms. My girlfriend had a baby last year, and I forgot to pay my Gas bill. That means that we're definately going to have rain tomorrow!"

Sometimes science defies logic!
Jane

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
Tsunami's cannot be predicted you know.

Really? Now are you really sure about that Kro?

Do you actually know what a Tsunami is?

st.
edit on 6-8-2011 by SatoriTheory because: Typosaurus

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

Technically he's correct, as you cannot predict earthquakes which are the cause for tsunami's.

As for Solar Flare relation to quakes, there is no conclusive scientific evidence on this hypothesis yet so it's still up in the air as to whether Solar Flares can influence an earthquake to happen or it's just coincedence!

As for the OP there's no conspiracy with the tests, it's just being done to make sure folk are prepared in the event of a tsunami and the system works as it should just like the quake emergency test they did in the UK a few years ago

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Thank you, both of you!

It's just a shame that it seems as though most of the other Brits on here are more interested in another thread....can't say about any other Europeans, I have not noticed many on here TBH, but I thought there would be more interest, especially as US has had one credit agency downgrade them....but there you go, hey ho,....will be interesting indeed if a tsunami does occur say Monday and of course 'they' just 'happen' to be practicing this eventuality........you know where I'm going with this......

Rainbows
Jane

Great find, Jane, thanks.

Imo, there is a worrying significance to this. According to WP there have only been two tsunamis in GB in recorded history, and one of them was allegedly in 6100 BC, although historically there have been quite a few more than this in Europe more widely.

Since I don't trust our gubberments or their intentions one tiny bit, especially now they have a new toy called HAARP, this exercise is of concern to me.

I read a while ago that there is a huge plate off the Canary Islands which would cause a mega tsunami which would hit Ireland and UK and other parts of Europe if the plate shifted significantly. If I find the article again I'll post it.

Here's another article which has some interestng information regarding European tsunamis. I'm not familiar with this blogger but found his article interesting.

blog.surfrider.eu...

There's also Elenin which some believe could cause huge effects on Earth in September/October. Nasa has recently even released an image of Elenin, so now they are officially 'allowing' the public to be aware of this comet......which might also be of some ssignificance.

Here's an article about it, including the images, from the Planetarium's official blog. The article plays down any risk whatsoever from Elenin, but it's also true that many believe otherwise.

www.armaghplanet.com...

Since I don't trust the Criminal Governments one jot, if there is widespread believe that Elenin will cause disasters, that would be perfect cover for them to use their nasty toys to create disasters at that time. Who knows? Impossible to know the truth in the sea of lies and deceit created by them, so I'm just posting these articles to share relevant information I've found.

I live on the coast, so if it happens I may be affected.....but I'm just not afraid any more. If it happens, it happens...so be it, lol.

edit on 6-8-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So most European countries with an Atlantic, Med or Black Sea coastline are cooperating in a tsunami warning exercise.

And the problem with this is? Perhaps they shouldn't? Would people feel safer if they didn't?

Perhaps we should ban fire drills? First Aid training? And those silly little notices on trains that tell you want to do in the event of a crash? Oh, and never test anything before it needs to be used.

btw there must be an earthquake training exercise due in Britain fairly soon - I think it's normally the summer when Hampshire F&RS hold it

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

I read a while ago that there is a huge plate off the Canary Islands which would cause a mega tsunami which would hit Ireland and UK and other parts of Europe if the plate shifted significantly. If I find the article again I'll post it.

You're thinking of Cumbre Vieja

www.iberianature.com...

A good example of scaremongering.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join