It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible? 10 Good cops in a row?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Ten Los Angeles motor officers have sued the city alleging that their supervisors retaliated against them for resisting traffic-ticket quotas, according to a court filing reviewed Thursday.

Attorneys for officers Philip Carr, Timothy Dacus, Kevin Cotter, Peter Landelius, Kevin Ree, Kevin Riley, Josh Sewell, Vincent Stroway, James Wallace and Jason Zapatka -- all of the West Traffic Division -- filed suit a week ago in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Among their allegations is that LAPD supervisors punished them for refusing to follow orders to implement traffic ticket quotas. They also allege that the amount of traffic tickets they produced was the basis for an illegal comparison among fellow West Traffic Bureau motor cops.

The punishments included being denied overtime and other unspecified benefits, as well as being given negative performance reviews.

So here we have a number of officers fed up with the thin blue line crap that we all know exists. Its not about enforcing the law, its about generating revenue. The should just issue card swipe machines so the collecting can be done right there in the side of the road, instead of having to waste time and money just going to court.

Ticket quotas are illegal under state law, since they can pressure police to write spurious tickets to meet the goal. The line between setting a quota and pushing officers to increase their productivity is a delicate one for field supervisors, who are often under pressure themselves to generate more citations.

In April, a jury awarded a pair of veteran LAPD officers -- also assigned to West Traffic Bureau -- $2 million after determining that LAPD supervisors had retaliated against the officers for complaining about alleged traffic ticket quotas.
Well it seems they just don't learn at the top of the food chain. The LAPD should be bankrupted, everyone fired and let the people choose their local police officers from the community.

That case dates back to late 2006, when command of the traffic division was handed over to Capt. Nancy Lauer. Chan and Benioff alleged in their lawsuit that Lauer and her sergeants and lieutenants made it clear to officers that they were expected to write at least 18 tickets each day. The number of tickets an officer wrote was recorded on their performance evaluation, the suit alleged.

The officers said that supervisors ranked them against other officers based on the number of tickets they wrote and cars they impounded, which is also a violation of state law.
Hmmm, a class action lawsuit sounds like a good thing to be going on in LA, bring the whole thing down.

edit on 5-8-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You are mistaken..It is not about Money..it has not been about money for a long time..It is all about MORE MONEY. Our laws are corporate laws..it is not enough to make money..you won't be CEO long if you just make the same amount of money that you did the previous year. You must make more money..Then more..it will never end..until we end money

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by spav5..it will never end..until we end money

So what do you suggest that the world does after it has "ended money"? There will always be a form of trade, and trade will depend on money. Not necessarily a piece of paper with a value associated with it. Get rid of paper money and we will be trading goats or sheep or produce or sex or ideas or....ok i think you get the hint.

What the world needs to do is get rid of the idea that being wealthy is directly reflective of your worth as a human being. Rid the world or materialistic ideas and corruption will become non-existent.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I didn't suggest anything..Only stated a fact. Why do I care if it gets fixed.

Always with the same argument..that is the first argument YOU MUST win against yourself..That is EVERYONE'S FIRST argument... If you cannot see past your argument..then nothing else will make sense to you. Just imagine what happens without money..if you see no possibility..then no sense in furthering your search.

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

What the world needs to do is get rid of the idea that being wealthy is directly reflective of your worth as a human being. Rid the world or materialistic ideas and corruption will become non-existent.

However there is a major problem, we cannot rid the world of an idea. Ideas cannot be ridden. They form randomly within the minds of any given person, depending on circumstances and the individuals disposition.

Rather than ridding the world of an idea we detest, we should embrace the diversity of thought that causes us to fight harder to prove our own case.

Our best hope is to educate enough people to transcend beyond the simple minded greed based materialism. But it is mere human nature to succumb to vices such as greed, or any other vice that plagues us for that matter. It will always happen because it is part of the human condition, it is part of learning right from wrong.

There is no possible way to rid ourselves of our negative side. We have to embrace it and make the best of it, discover the strengths and weaknesses and work around them, work with them.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

You would have to eliminate the idea of property to get rid of materialism and with that you would have to rid the world of the idea of freedom and liberty as well. The only way I see to do that is either an oppressive world government or global eugenics. Neither of which would I ever support or endorse.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuroSlam

You would have to eliminate the idea of property to get rid of materialism and with that you would have to rid the world of the idea of freedom and liberty as well. The only way I see to do that is either an oppressive world government or global eugenics. Neither of which would I ever support or endorse.

What we need is to educate our children to try to respect other people's property rights and by default their liberty.

When people respect other's property rights, they automatically skirt greed because they will avoid coveting the possessions of others.

So really it all comes down to education and helping the world learn what true Liberty is all about. Liberty uplifts and brings abundance, whereas Tyranny projects scarcity as a mechanism of maintaining power economically.

We don't need to get rid of property rights, we need to actually start respecting them for once. Ask yourselves, how many average citizens have their property rights abused and trampled and end up getting robbed by Corporations, Governments, etc?? Exactly, almost everyone.

Today is a perfect example of how the elite become a super-class, above the law and able to protect their own illegally obtained and maintained property while they are suppressing and pillaging the property (illegally) of millions of citizens worldwide.

Consider all of the actual crimes the elites controlling things actually commit. Mass fraud, racketeering, MURDER, etc etc etc.

Just think if we actually had Justice for one minute and all of the victims of these criminals were vindicated and their stolen properties were returned?

Hell most people even had their brain stolen, because they didn't even know they were robbed. Kind of silly I know, because anyone who worked 50 years of their life to end up broke and in debt JUST GOT ROBBED BIG TIME.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

It gets to the point where you just can't talk about liberty and property rights, no one listens to those ideas. I agree it is about respecting the rights of the individual. It's to bad so few on here, can't see the forest for the trees, all they see is their form of violence is better then the other side. We are communal property and the idea of being an individual just doesn't fit within the "mobs" mentality.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

reply to post by muzzleflash

It gets to the point where you just can't talk about liberty and property rights, no one listens to those ideas. I agree it is about respecting the rights of the individual. It's to bad so few on here, can't see the forest for the trees, all they see is their form of violence is better then the other side. We are communal property and the idea of being an individual just doesn't fit within the "mobs" mentality.

Maybe we can change that though, if even by a little bit.

What really is the point of life anyway? To just accept this crap? Or to do anything in our power to reverse the course?

Don't ever forget your purpose, because I can see clearly from your words what your purpose is. You are here to help Justice return. And I am here to help achieve this endevour, so you know I got your back.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
This reads to me like these Officers got in a Pi$$ing match with supervision over tickets. Most cities I know of will give out overtime as long as you write at least a couple of tickets an hour to prove that your doing something besides drive around all day. There is a very fine line between telling an Officer to write more tickets, or write a certain amount...

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Among their allegations is that LAPD supervisors punished them for refusing to follow orders to implement traffic ticket quotas. They also allege that the amount of traffic tickets they produced was the basis for an illegal comparison among fellow West Traffic Bureau motor cops.

The punishments included being denied overtime and other unspecified benefits, as well as being given negative performance reviews.

Make no mistake. These officers are not suing the department on behalf of the citizens they swore to protect. They are suing because of selfish reasons.......see above.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Nutter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I noticed that also. 10 good cops? or 10 greedy bastards? To me if they had stood up on the principle rather than the reprisal they would look like good cops, that this is really about their pocket books, that a previous settlement was 2million dollars just cements that these guys could care less about the real issue of injustice and are only truly concerned with their cut of the pie
Hell they will sue get paid and go into private security where the money is.
seed

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed
I noticed that also. 10 good cops? or 10 greedy bastards? To me if they had stood up on the principle rather than the reprisal they would look like good cops, that this is really about their pocket books, that a previous settlement was 2million dollars just cements that these guys could care less about the real issue of injustice and are only truly concerned with their cut of the pie
seed

Seriously? What kind of hell can someone live in that any positive action by someone must only be out of self-interest? You need help, my friend.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by mustard seed
seed

Seriously? What kind of hell can someone live in that any positive action by someone must only be out of self-interest? You need help, my friend.

/TOA

Since I am not an arm chair psychoanalyst as you are( or think you are) I can only say the self interest is blatant in the form of a law suit for financial renumeration and not an internal investigation or even a turning to the press. That they are taking the path that pays says more to me about motive than the ¨pipe¨ dreams some hold about LEś altruistic nature.
And yes I do need help, help in understanding why you take it so personally and why you made it a personal attack on me for my opinion?
seed

new topics

top topics

join