It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Italy is set to join Belgium and France in banning the burkha in public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Now Italy is set to join Belgium and France in banning the burkha in public

www.dailyma il.co.uk

Italy is set to be the next European Union to introduce a burkha ban after parliament announced today it would debate legislation after the summer recess.
France and Belgium already have bans in place and the proposal has the backing of prime minister Silvio Berlusconi's ruling centre right coalition.
Italy's Constitutional Affairs Committee said that the bill which was initially suggested by the anti-immigration Northern League would be debated following the summer recess in September.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.presstv.com
www.telegraph.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
French police continue cracking down on publicly wearing a burkha. Belgium also joined France last month on making this illegal and now it looks as if Italy will probably pass this law. There is some opposition to the measure but Berlusconi's party has a majority and the votes to push this through. At this rate it will be illegal for Muslim women to cover their faces in public in most European countries within a few years.

I'm really interested to know how this is turning out in the UK since this country most resembles the United States. Do you think it will eventually be illegal for women to wear a burkha in public in the U.S. as well? I suppose as long as this is done for the reason of security it's going to be allowed. Even in the U.S. they could pass a similar measure saying it's illegal to disguise your face in public.

Makes it hard for them to monitor your every move if you look just like everyone else doesn't it?
Suprised the UK and all their CCTV hasn't made this illegal yet.

Here's a supposed recent video of French police arresting a woman for wearing a burkha.

www.dailyma il.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have no problems with the Burka being legal to wear in the UK...........just as long as I'm given the same rights to walk into a bank or shop wearing a hoody and a scarf covering my face.
I know exactly what would happen if I tried doing that

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Good move.

Wonder which religious symbol will be banned next.... Jewish hats? Sikh turbans? Hindu tilaks? Christian crosses?

edit on 4-8-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Burkhas are illegal to wear in Belgium? That's news to me and I live in Belgium. Anyway, illegal or not, it's not being enforced in any way I can tell. I still see plenty of them walking around, police doesn't seem to care. Neither should they care imo.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Wonder whats next.... Jewish hats? Sikh turbans? Hindu tilaks? Christian crosses?

I do believe you are missing the point entirely

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sorry to be the messenger here, but this thread was already made the other day Italy bans the Burkha

It didnt realy get anywhere though, just people arguing with each other.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Anyone can see the next operation of Anonymous coming out of this. Perfect MSM attention whoring to latch onto and conveniently provided by the MSM.
Operation Herpa Derpa yer Burka or some similar foolishness.
This stuff is becoming too predictable.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Good!!!!! The Muslims have tried to take over Europe...It's about time someone stood up to those who wish to make the whole world believe just as they do.... The Abrahamic religions are trying to make everyone believe exactly as they do. I hope this is a sign that the rest of the world has had enough!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Good stuff. Lets hope more western countries follow suit.
2nd
edit on 4-8-2011 by chaztekno because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowbeard

I didn't miss anything.
When a government in the so called "developed world" goes after religious symbol (hijab, turban, cross etc), its a sign that they are picking and choosing what can and cannot be displayed in public...
Either these governments are against religon in general or are against one particulal religon. Either way, its sickening.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

ofcourse not, the burkas get banned because they can wear anything under it without other people seeing it guns or bombs, how can you hide a gun in a Christian cross.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Either these governments are against religon in general or are against one particulal religon. Either way, its sickening.

What's even more SICKENING is when a religion forces itself on the masses....
OPEN YOUR EYES, for you are blind.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I wonder why some news outlets find it hard to mention who exactly sponsored said legislation:

The Italian law was sponsored by Souad Sbai, a Moroccan-born member of Silvio Berlusconi's conservative Freedom People party who said she wanted to help Islamic women integrate more into Italian society.

"Five years ago no one wore the burqa [in Italy]. Today there is always more. We have to help women get out of this segregation ... to get out of this submission," Sbai said in a telephone interview. "I want to speak for those who don't have a voice, who don't have the strength to yell and say: 'I am not doing well.'"

Source

So before anyone starts saying "them darn racist right-wing christians" they should replace "racist right-wing christians" with "arab muslim".

Besides I agree with her not only for the fact that this will help Muslim immigrants integrate and assimilate but also because it helps protect and preserve the Italian society.
edit on 8/4/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Silend

ofcourse not, the burkas get banned because they can wear anything under it without other people seeing it guns or bombs, how can you hide a gun in a Christian cross.

Please, mention one "guns n' bombs" attack in Europe which involved a woman in a burkha.

Also, its possible for someone to hide a bomb in hats, trenchcoats or business suits. So whats your point about banning stuff which can conceal bombs and guns?

And what religious uniform was that norwegian psycho hiding his weapons under again? Or that guy who shot up fort hood? Or those kids who shoot up schools?

edit on 4-8-2011 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Not only that but Islamic tradition in regards to a burqa is very sexist and a borderline violation of human rights and equality. It would be like a religion that commanded its followers to be nude in public. As PC as we like to be, we would probably tell them to get bent.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silend
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

edit on 4-8-2011 by Silend because: (no reason given)

You can certainly hide corruption, greed and molestors behind the cross.

When have weapons ever been found hidden in a burka in a Western country? I'm more concerned about cops with guns since they actually use them with impunity from the law.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wasn't a bank robbed in Maryland by some guys in burkas?

Although I really don't see the point to banning burkas. Just make it mandatory to remove in specific instances...same kinda thing they do with balaclavas, bike helmets, etc.

You know, standard stuff, when identity needs to be determined by a government official, in banks, airport security, etc.

I am not 100% sure if it is a law in Canada, but at the last election, my local voting station had a area screened off specifically to allow the voter and one female government employee to enter and verify identity, and off to the races. I didn't see anybody get offended, seemed like a fairly good compromise. Lets her adhere to here faith and lets the government confirm identity.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
nobody is forcing these muslims to come to europe, and nobody is forcing them to stay.

hows about europeans start moving to the middle east en masse, and start making them change their laws to suit our needs?

oh right, that would be racist.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlesUTP
nobody is forcing these muslims to come to europe, and nobody is forcing them to stay.

hows about europeans start moving to the middle east en masse, and start making them change their laws to suit our needs?

oh right, that would be racist.

You got that right!

top topics

join