It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumors In Social Media Of A Certian Individual Reached A Fevered Pitch To The Pentagons Ears

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

As many of us here have already learned The Pentagon is developing plans to use
social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter as both a resource and a weapon
in future conflicts.

The New York Times has found emerging details of a story that is possibly about
Osama bin Laden. The Times has recently discovered:

Darpa described how a would-be high-technology lynching was foiled:

“Rumors about the location of a certain individual began to spread in social media
space and calls for storming the rumored location reached a fever pitch.
By chance,
responsible authorities were monitoring the social media, detected the crisis building,
sent out effective messaging to dispel the rumors and averted a physical attack on the
rumored location.”

The New York Times has attempted to reach The Pentagon to ask:

Was this Osama bin Laden?

(Is this a reference to Osama bin Laden or someone much more obscure? Were the
“responsible authorities” trying to put off an attack because the individual was not at the
location, or because he was?

bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

Darpa officials did not return e-mails requesting comment

The Internet social media is playing an increasingly large role in fomenting
unrest in countries like Egypt and Iran. DARPA wants systems to be able to detect and
track the spread of ideas both quickly and on a broad scale, for instance, whether signs of
widespread rebellion are authentic or whether they are being created by a fringe group
with little real support.

The Pentagons goals are laid out in a document being circulated among potential researchers
and is to be presented at a briefing on Tuesday in Arlington, Va.

So, once again we find that everything is not as it seems.
If this individual was not Osama bin Laden, whom might it have been?

Related Above Top Secret Threads : Minority Rules: The Tipping Point - The Internet Revolution - And You

Pentagon Wants a Social Media Propaganda Machine

Army of Fake Social Media Friends to Promote Propaganda

ATS...your thoughts?
edit on 4-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It makes sense that this is something that will become a player in the future. Times change and technology changes and we need to change with it. The internet and these social sites can cause massive changes very quickly and identifying how it works and ways to manipulate the impact information has on societal changes is important.

Things like this have always been done and whatever new tool that may have use as a disturbance to America needs to be looked at.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Yet another page in the disturbing journal of where we are going in terms of "national security". Who exactly are we protecting and from whom?

George Orwell is somewhere screaming "I told you so...I told you so!!!"

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I remember reading this and it wasn't OBL.

I'll try to track down the source right now.

Damn people need to wake up and protest this.

ETA:
This never happened. It was a Request for Proposal from DARPA and the situation was hypothetical. This means the technology needed to do so was not available yet and may still not be.

Link to FBO/ DARPA site with PDF document and the phrase in question:
www.fbo.gov...
edit on 4-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: additional content

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Are you implying we should bury our head in the sand and not look at possible threats to the country by any means someone intending harm may use?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Strong, strong work, BurnTheShips. I am looking forward to learning more about this and checking out the links that you have provided.

Thanks for the heads up. This stuff is slippery as eels.

I find these revelations concerning unseen cyber battlefields and the wars fought on them at least as compelling, if not more so, than whom may have been the subject of the tweets.

edit on 4-8-2011 by Frater210 because:

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Times change and technology changes and we need to change with it. The internet and these social sites can cause massive changes very quickly and identifying how it works and ways to manipulate the impact information has on societal changes is important.

Yes, indeed things seem to be changing at a very rapid pace. Seems every week we have a new
story on an online battleground, so to speak.

I think this has been under our nose a bit longer than we might have suspected, however at least
its out in the open now, and we can act accordingly.

Kro, thanks for weighing in with your comments.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Back in the day it was spy vs. spy in the dark streets of Berlin but today it seems to be taking place in cyberspace and though it is necessary to keep the government in check there is no doubt that whoever masters the computer game will be one step ahead of everyone else.

Great post and very relevant to today

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hessling
Yet another page in the disturbing journal of where we are going in terms of "national security". Who exactly are we protecting and from whom?

George Orwell is somewhere screaming "I told you so...I told you so!!!"

Hessling,

This is Orwellian, very much so. In my recent thread on The Tipping Point, I posted a study
that was the basis of that thread. In the study, the details emerge of algorithm tracking,
and much more. They have it down to a science.

I encourage everyone to read that thread, there is some very relevant social science discovery i
n there. Its for everyone online.

Thanks much for your comments, and welcome to 1984.

edit on 4-8-2011 by burntheships because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Are you implying we should bury our head in the sand and not look at possible threats to the country by any means someone intending harm may use?

Not at all. That would be naive as well as dangerous.

I'm just getting more than a little weirded out by the approaches being taken. More to the point, how these tactics can be abused and turned against the innocent. The lack of oversight just gives me the willies.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

its a old story facebook,twitter ,etc.etc are tools from the us goverment to influrence pepoles mind or creat revolutions like in the middeleast.its a easy way to creat wars, rumors and controll pepole.
same story with the rating agentures ,they controll the money in every country and push them up or down,excluding the usa.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

Thanks for the heads up. This stuff is slippery as eels.

I find these revelations concerning unseen cyber battlefields and the wars fought on them at least as compelling, if not more so, than whom may have been the subject of the tweets.

I have not read the entire 37 page government document yet, however I have skimmed it, and along with the previous research I have no doubt
this stuff is well underway.

And yes, the tweets are a very important part of this. Even the Osama bin Laden story had the
premise of "reliable" tweets within it.

Thanks for your comments!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

The lack of oversight just gives me the willies.

Totally. It comes down to education. And this is also why Anonymous is dangerous; 'We gots this, America!"

Imagine at this dangerous time of lack of oversight that people are reaching for smart phones and tablets and Windows 8 is coming. Windows 8 is going to turn your desktop into a big cell phone.

My point being that our computing power, our birthright, spawned along with the Epoch of Unix in 1970, is being silently removed from existence do to the brain drain created by consumer electronics and plain old laziness.

The command line is dying for the most part, as people outsource the silliest computer problems.

To All:
We need to retain our power. Did you know that You and you and even, yes, you are capable of accomplishing anything that any script kiddie from anonymous can accomplish? And read your email; all with free and Open Source software?

It's true. We all have the power to understand this stuff. Go and get a Linux Distro and learn how to use it.

Or Cygwin:www.cygwin.com...

linuxcommand.org...
edit on 4-8-2011 by Frater210 because: cygwin

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The government has a opening for social media propagandist.
www.fbo.gov...
Heres the PDF of the plan and it qoutes what is in the OP.
www.fbo.gov...
Now we all know about Facebook getting its start through a CIA funded IQT.
www.iqt.org...
Well guess who just quit Facebook to start a new Social media.

Zuckerberg's Sister Resigns from Facebook Team
Updated: Wednesday, 03 Aug 2011, 5:03 PM EDT
Published : Wednesday, 03 Aug 2011, 5:03 PM EDT

(NewsCore) - Randi Zuckerberg, the sister of Facebook CEO and co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, resigned as Facebook's director of marketing Wednesday.

After more than six years at her brother's company, Zuckerberg said she was starting a new media firm to help companies become more social.

In her resignation letter, Zuckerberg said, "now is the perfect time for me to move outside of Facebook to build a company focused on the exciting trends underway in the media industry."

Her company will be called RtoZ Media.

Read more: www.myfoxdc.com...

www.myfoxdc.com...

Strange strange coincidence or the begining of part two of the CIA database?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Social Media in Strategic Communication (SMISC)
DARPA‐BAA‐11‐64
July 14, 2011

Technology areas particularly relevant

1. Linguistic cues, patterns of information flow, topic trend analysis, narrative structure analysis, sentiment detection and opinion mining;

2. Meme tracking across communities, graph analytics/probabilistic reasoning, pattern detection, cultural narratives;

3. Inducing identities, modeling emergent communities, trust analytics, network dynamics modeling;

4. Automated content generation, bots in social media, crowd sourcing.

Wow, this is going to completely change where money goes in the sciences. I now know what to get my Master's Degree in someday.
edit on 4-8-2011 by Frater210 because: Source

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Why would DARPA put out a RFP when you say they already have the technology? You're contradicting yourselves in this thread.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Back in the day it was spy vs. spy in the dark streets of Berlin but today it seems to be taking place in cyberspace and though it is necessary to keep the government in check there is no doubt that whoever
masters the computer game will be one step ahead of everyone else.

A very intense snippet of this write up, it is unnerving. They speak of contermessaging,
automatically generating content, (aka spam...(trolls) and fake combatants...some of which
we have heard about yet for them to openly admit this, and there is no clarification as to
whether this is solely for foreigners or those of the "homeland"

All the more urgent, then, is the need to analyze what is happening and to fight back by
countermessaging. A successful program would influence attitudes through methods including
automatically generating content, formerly known as spam, and “inducing identities,” which might
be whipping up fake combatants.

All of this cyberwarfare will, of course, make it even less clear what is real and what is synthetic on
the Internet, but that is not the military’s problem and was possibly inevitable anyway.bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

edit on 4-8-2011 by burntheships because: spelling

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

You're reaching quite far in speculation.

Do you have any evidence this is related to anything at all?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848

Strange strange coincidence or the begining of part two of the CIA database?

Part 2, my vote. So she resigned eh?

Nice catch JBA, very nice. Thanks for that addition.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

The only speculation is with what the sisters company does when it gets started. But the proven past where the CIA gave the start up funds for her brother to do Facebook should let you know what she has planned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join