It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detailed Rendering of CG may be fake!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

I seek the truth where ever it hides.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
I do have a great deal of respect for Saturn FX. His threads are among the best on ATS. He may not have seen this yet.
edit on 3-8-2011 by enament because: (no reason given)

Few things

1) The notch opinion article is just that, his opinion based on assumption, and yes, this particular article was pointed out about 3-4 times on every page of the thread, so yes, I am aware of it.

2) If you find my threads are among the best on ATS, then either your standards are very low, or you don't know how to use the search engine..I am a hack at best

Anyhow, ultimately the claims made are very intriguing, but ultimately I think not enough is known one way or the other to either be really exciting, or call it a hoax. I am hopeing for the former, but accept it may be the latter.

Oh, add:
I have no clue why the other thread (my thread) took off like it did...either people are seriously excited about this tech, or it is a slow conspiracy day...I have made some threads that should have spiked to the top (one example was a lab that was able to remove and add memories in mice at will) and got next to no attention...yet some tech graphics stuff becomes a frontpage thing...nope, not a clue how ATS works at times.
edit on 3-8-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Anyhow, ultimately the claims made are very intriguing, but ultimately I think not enough is known one way or the other to either be really exciting, or call it a hoax. I am hopeing for the former, but accept it may be the latter.

I agree with your statement completely.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

reply to post by sean_uk

Notice the attention this thread got people would rather be in denial about something than knowing the facts if the news is bad.

People are quick to dismiss alternative topics such as Aliens, ghosts and other strange phenomena as being HOAX, but when dealing with a more realistic subject such as computer graphics, they can't understand why there is a need for scepticism. I watched the video for "Unlimited Detail Real-Time Rendering Technology", and alarm bells were ringing constantly; everything about it made me feel like this was some kind of scam. The Bloke who narrated the video reminded me of Ray Santilli with an Aussie accent - I know it's pretty lame to dismiss his claims because of how he talks, but... actually he sounded a bit like Loyd Grossman as well...

I am not an expert on 3D computer graphics, but there are experts in this field who have stated that these claims are ridiculous and very likely some kind of SCAM!

If this was a UFO, it would have [HOAX] written all over it!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
To quote from the other thread:

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

How does it work? If you have a background in the industry you know the above pictures are impossible. A computer can’t have unlimited power and it can’t process unlimited point cloud data because every time you process a point it must take up some processor time. But I assure you, it's real and it all works. Unlimited Detail's method is very different to any 3D method that has been invented so far. The three current systems used in 3D graphics are ray tracing polygons and point clouds/voxels, they all have strengths and weaknesses. Polygons run fast but have poor geometry, ray-tracing and voxels have perfect geometry but run very slowly. Unlimited Detail is a fourth system, which is more like a search algorithm than a 3D engine. It is best explained like this: if you had a word document and you went to the search tool and typed in a word like 'money' the search tool quickly searches for every place that word appeared in the document. Google and Bing are also search engines that go looking for things very quickly. Unlimited Detail is basically a point cloud search algorithm. We can build enormous worlds with huge numbers of points, then compress them down to be very small. The Unlimited Detail engine works out which direction the camera is facing and then searches the data to find only the points it needs to put on the screen it doesn’t touch any unneeded points, all it wants is 1024*768 (if that is our resolution) points, one for each pixel of the screen. It has a few tricky things to work out, like: what objects are closest to the camera, what objects cover each other, how big should an object be as it gets further back. But all of this is done by a new sort of method that we call "mass connected processing". Mass connected processing is where we have a way of processing masses of data at the same time and then applying the small changes to each part at the end. The result is a perfect pure bug free 3D engine that gives Unlimited Geometry running super fast, and it's all done in software.

SOURCE

Right here they tout the very arguments that people have against the tech. Please debunk this, please.

That website (source) has a lot of details...debunking the debunking and discussing the tech. its not the voxels that people are claiming, and notch used a total strawman argument (proclaiming its probably X, then goes on about how X doesn't work...but its not X to begin with)

So, leaning towards reality and a single guy blogging about how he basically can't believe it because it hasn't been done yet.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I'm not very knowledgeable about this subject. My purpose of opening this thread was either to prove or disprove this By attracting those with the know how to do so. I am however computer savvy and understand that the amount of computer power to render this should be enormous.Notice I said should be enormous.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I'm not very knowledgeable about this subject. My purpose of opening this thread was either to prove or disprove this By attracting those with the know how to do so. I am however computer savvy and understand that the amount of computer power to render this should be enormous.Notice I said should be enormous.

The tech is currently beyond me (and I do poke around with gaming engines..anvil mostly for now). I don't know enough about how they are circumventing the processing power beyond the basics (only renders what your POV is seeing verses all things).

Meh, we will see. Frankly, all of this is nice, but would trade it in for basic holographic tech being introduced...I want to get on the highway, not just better paved roads..and thats all this is (potentially), just a better paved road

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join