It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guatemalan ex-soldiers get 6,060 years in prison each

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Guatemalan ex-soldiers get 6,060 years in prison each

uk.yahoo.com

A Guatemalan court sentenced four former military officers to 6,060 years in prison each on Tuesday for the slaughter of more than 200 civilians in 1982 during the country's civil war.

"This court unanimously declared the accused as perpetrators of murder. For this crime, a sentence of 30 years in prison for each victim comes to a total of 6,030 years," the court said in its decision.

In addition, the court sentenced each former officer to another 30 years in prison as a "crime against humanity by state security forces," bringing the total to 6,060 years in prison for each man.

T
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well this is something i never heard of before probably coz i live in the UK but loks to me like these ex-soldiers life has finally caught up with them.... but why not just give them Life times 4 or something? I mean its not as if they will be alive in 6060 years time unless of course they each take that new drug 'live forever' he! he! But still, would you want to be stuck inside for 6060 years if you could live that long?

Imagine what the World would be like when you come out....

uk.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Anyway, i guess thats Justice!!
edit on 3-8-2011 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Long sentences for multiple murders are not uncommon and basically serve so that there is no chance of being released, even if all the sentences were reduced for good behaviour etc.

Basically, these guys are behind bars until they die.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

That being the case, a sentence like this implies that they have been cast out of society never to be allowed back into it. If that is the case, why not impose the death penalty and that comes with the added bonus of not having to pay for their health and welfare for the next XX years!

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Indeed, Guatemala has the Death penalty, but hasn't executed anyone for 11 years. But what is a bigger punishment? A quick death in a few years, or the next 40 spent in a max security jail (in Guatemala I imagine them to be quite dire too).. I know which I'd rather...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Too bad the executives at United Fruit didn't get such a sentence back then...

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

OK true, but they're going to die on prison anyway, so why waste money and resources on them, in a country whos poverty levels are mad!. Better take that money and supply proper sewers to several towns.

new topics

top topics

join