It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Android Trojan records conversations, can send them to bad guys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Android Trojan records conversations, can send them to bad guys

www.zdnet.com

A new Android Trojan that can log calls, record whole conversations and even send them to the bad guys has been discovered by security firm CA.

Earlier Trojans have been capable of logging call details, but this is the first one seen that can actually make a complete recording of the conversation.

After the malware finds itself onto a Android handset, it asks for a whole bunch of permissions - which should raise a number of red flags.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
webwereld.nl
mobile.slashdot.org

Edit:

Blog with screenshots of the trojan in action
edit on 3/8/11 by Romekje because: Added link

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
So, next to the built-in GPS tracking of android phones and the logging of conversations and messages now your calls can actually be recorded and sent to a remote server for review. For now the trojan still needs a windows 7 like admin activation but imo it will only be a matter of time before there is a built-in silent mode installation. Just another weapon in the war against personal liberties and privacy.

www.zdnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
quite bad article it doesnt say where the trojans coming from. Is it from an app in the marketplace? is this a trojan infecting PCs then when an android device is connected it transfers itself to a phone? is it from an app download from another site? which app?

look out for this new trojan but we wont tell you jack about where it comes from.. very helpfull
edit on 3-8-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
yea sensitive issues are not safe evan in real life make shur the batterie is out of your cell then and only then ,it might be safe to talk

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

Yeah it was quite vague on that indeed. But since it's a trojan it should be attached to "some" file/app (could be anything really)

What i fail to see is the practical use of this trojan for the common hacker/phreaker out there. The only people who might benefit from the ability to record conversations are law enforcement agencies/governments/intelligence agencies in my opinion.

edit:

About affecting pc's, not very likely since the android OS is different from the OS installed on desktops/laptops.

Yet if specifically written for it, it might be possible, though it doesnt say so in the article so i wouldnt know.
edit on 3/8/11 by Romekje because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jplaysguitar
yea sensitive issues are not safe evan in real life make shur the batterie is out of your cell then and only then ,it might be safe to talk

It'll be hard to talk though without a battery

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I love my iPhone. Thanks, Apple! No Trojans allowed.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

You jest, surely? iphone trojan lands in 2008

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

I'm pretty sure every operating system has it's own vulnerabilities and trojans/virii that (ab)use those. One only has to look at the PC software industry and see how every single piece of software has it's security and anti piracy measures cracked within a day of release, i can't imagine it not being the same for practically all other forms of software.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief

You jest, surely? iphone trojan lands in 2008

That was in a jailbroken iPhone. The user had to jailbreak the phone and then download 3rd party applications. I'd say that has NOTHING to do with iPhone and everything with the user. If you stick to the regular app store, you should be fine.

My 13 year old has a jailbroken iPhone, and he has had issues. Mine is not jailbroken, and I'm not worried.

edit on 3-8-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: Add words

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

A jailbroken iPhone?

Can i imagine that being like a cracked PSP?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

If you stick to the regular app store, you should be fine.

Fanboys(and girls) like yourself will never believe it can happen, this is Apple's marketing strategy and it has been well documented elsewhere. This is a major problem when the company in question basically tells it's customer base outright lies [1]. You can even get iphone viruses via SMS [2], so is it any surprise that journalists have called for Apple to be investigated by the FTC? [3] Would this also be a good time to point out that Apple spy on it's userbase and log their every move? [4] [5] [6]

I also notice that you've changed your tune in your second post from "won't get it" to "unlikely"... that's a big difference as I'd say it's unlikely for most smartphone users to get a virus, regardless of phone choice/OS. Hope this helps as if you ever fell victim to a virus/malware on your iphone you wouldn't be getting any help from Apple, just people like me (and a bunch of other ignorant people telling you it's "impossible unless you hacked it, derp").

All the best.

edit on 4-8-2011 by Goathief because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

That's some nasty info behind those links, personally i never bought a smartphone mainly because of the gps tracking but knowing what more lies behind the curtain im pretty sure i'll never buy one.

I guess i'll be without a phone within a year

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I think people are kidding themselves if they believe there is any sort of defense or security against dedicated, funded and nation backed hackers.. hell even the common geek in his mothers basement can be a international hero for his cracking, hacking and rooting discoveries.

These small and primitive IT devices that are open to the entire world.. holding all your personal information... and if your dumb enough, your banking information.

Sorry people, privacy while not dead, has never been so non existent.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Seems to be getting worse by the day too. Tbh i laugh at people who are connected to the internet and think they have any form of privacy left. You have to REALLY watch your steps if you don't want your information out in the open. Another problem (like with alot of trojans) is that the people you are in contact with over the internet have to be equally aware of these facts otherwise they might inwillingly infect you.

top topics

join