It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indoctrination Fridays: Three Little Pigs Slaughtered by Political Correctness(Leftists)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Leftist educators will take just about anything and turn it on its head to fit their agenda. Even children’s fairytales don’t escape the slaughterhouse. Ellen Wolpert, a longtime “early childhood educator” in Massachusetts, penned an article entitled, “Rethinking ‘The Three Little Pigs.’”

www.publicschoolspending.com...

Is nothing sacred or off limits? The Three Little Pigs hardly a person living in this country has heard the story as a child. It has a clear message that anyone can understand.

Make the right choices
Build a solid foundation
straw and sticks weather over time and dont stand up to the test of time and stand up against whatever is thrown its way.

“ … one of the most fundamental messages of ‘The Three Little Pigs’ is that it belittles straw and stick homes and the ‘lazy types’ who build them.

that statement is the epitomy of the current state of thinking in this country that is a sad state of affairs.

this gave me a good laugh today

all thoughts and opinions welcome
edit on 2-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have problems digesting articles that use the term "leftists" as do I have a hard time digesting, "right-wing extremists" or any other polarizing terms that add nothing to the point of the article....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

the terminology is taken straight from the article not my words.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I will agree the person that article is talking about is an idiot however:

“One might explain, for example, that in many tropical areas straw homes are built to take best advantage of cooling breezes. In some areas, straw homes are on stilts as protection from insects and animals or to withstand flooding."

Yes, and brick is more durable than the others in the face of strong winds. If the wolf wasn't blowing houses down, I'm sure the straw house would have been fine....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by boncho

the terminology is taken straight from the article not my words.

Criticizing the blog writer not you. By any means.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I'm pretty damn conservative myself, but I have to admit that the guy has a point. Western society does have a superiority complex when it comes to our version of housing. This really may have shown through in one of our nursery rhymes.
I'm planning on building a cob house myself, and I've received a great deal of grief about it because it's made out of "mud and straw". I could turn around and be a snob right back at those people though and talk to them about the ridiculous amounts of embodied energy it takes to make an incredibly inefficient brick-house, and how incredibly little energy it takes to make an extremely efficient "mud and straw" house.
People need to get over the fact that many "primitive" structures FAR outperform their "modern" homes, both economically, environmentally, and in their efficiency for energy consumption for heating and cooling.
Just my 2cents. Interesting post Neo, thanks.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

The article and person that it is about, what she is trying to say about a superiority complex about Western building is absolute humbug. Completely bunk!

Meet Cambodia (you know, where they still have straw houses):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fe49289c8f0.jpg[/atsimg]

Only Western nations build with stone, please go to India:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f82b5cf45d56.jpg[/atsimg]

Don't make me post pictures of the Middle East, specifically Cairo and/or the Great Pyramids...
edit on 2-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
so one persons liberal op ed is an agenda to change fairy tales to make them PC...

me thinks you worry way too much.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

straw homes or stick homes and even cob homes maybe be cheaper but none will ever stand the test of time or up to hurricanes,tornados or typhoons.

but hey their cheaper to replace.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard all day.

It doesn't surprise me in the least though.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Are you sure that this is genuine, and not just satire ?

I mean, we all know how the Politically Correct have absolutely no sense of humour, and how they are perpetually offended and affronted by anything and everything, but the quotes in the article seem like a send-up of these objectionably patronising PCers.

There was me thinking that the ''Three little pigs'' story just involved simple physics, assuming that the wolf had incredibly strong breath...

edit on 2-8-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

www.rethinkingschools.org...

checkout that site its the real deal

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

straw homes or stick homes and even cob homes maybe be cheaper but none will ever stand the test of time or up to hurricanes,tornados or typhoons.

but hey their cheaper to replace.

Actually, cob homes are FAR cheaper to build, require NO energy spent to heat or cool them, have withstood the environmental ravages since the 13th century, and if built correctly; can easily weather a tornado or hurricane.
reply to post by boncho

You are talking about stone, not brick. Brick must be treated with heat and mortared with cement. Not to mention it has to be transported over vast distances most of the time. Most of the examples you gave are buildings constructed of materials that can be found on site, much like the cob homes I'm talking about. Brick and cement homes account for ridiculous amounts of fossil fuel consumption. Left or right wing, I'm sure you can recognize that that is becoming a problem.
Here is an excerpt from an in depth article on energy consumption and environmental ramifications from using such inefficient building techniques that people ignorantly assume are so superior simply because they were invented a couple hundred years ago (hardly modern) instead of several thousand years ago:

In the United States, producing the roughly 80 million tons of cement used in 1992 required about .5 quadrillion Btus or quads (1 quad = 10 15 Btus). This is roughly .6% of total U.S. energy use, a remarkable amount given the fact that in dollar value, cement represents only about .06% of the gross national product. Thus, cement production is approximately ten times as energy intensive as our economy in general.

LINK
Edit to add: Stick and straw houses obviously are not superior though, don't get me wrong, I'm merely using them as an example of "primitive" building methods that have certainly withstood the test of time, far more so than our board and drywall houses that certainly don't have ANY advantages.

edit on 2-8-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

LOL!

Some English woman did the same thing a few years ago in England with Ba Ba Black sheep. Apparently, the existence of black sheep, and discussing them is racist! I think they decided to recite the kiddie tale by saying "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep". So the sheep went from black to gay because this woman felt it was correct.

Political correctness is complete crap. The world needs thicker skin and honesty. Why do we have to make all these changes? Walk it off, people.

I think this is the first time I can agree wholeheartedly with you.
The story attacks straw houses and the lazy people who buid them? No! Kids should learn early not to be morons! Brick is stronger. Jeez

edit on 2-8-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

You are quite correct in pointing out the difference between brick and stone.

To be honest, I didn't think that much into it. I always thought the story was about a rock house vs. sticks vs. straw.

When my Mother told me the story, she said a stick house was more of a log cabin than it was a house actually made of sticks. And I assumed the brick meant something of stone.

Perhaps we should ask the author if they were speaking about mud bricks?

If you fire the bricks (cook them) in a kiln before you build with them, the bricks will last much longer. When people built important buildings that would need to stand for a long time, they fired the bricks first.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

i just read an article about the uk about how the 3 little pigs was offense to the muslims

gotta agree here

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

reply to post by spinalremain

i just read an article about the uk about how the 3 little pigs was offense to the muslims

gotta agree here

You would think the would be cheering the Wolf on at least....

edit on 2-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The person babbling about Eurocentricism in this article took a fairy tale way too literally. That's really what the problem is here.

I suppose next this person will be talking about how Hansel and Gretel is anti-tribalism because it comes with a message about standing up to cannibals and certain old-school tribes still practice this from time to time.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

This woman's a beauty.

I get why they don't hand out "Little Black Sambo" any more. They should not hand it out, other than perhaps at a college level history class where a mature discussion can take place. There are somethings that are dated and reflect a society that thankfully we have in many cases moved beyond and those should be removed from children who don't have the maturity to appreciate the historical contexts of the material. That being said, this woman takes it to extremes and to outright foolishness.

She also thinks that "The Lion King" is a racist movie:

"In Disney's The Lion King, the destructive hyenas have black or dark skin.
Scarface, the mean lion, has a black mane. After the movie a young child says,
"Black people are bad, they are bad in the movie," even though there are only
animals in the movie with human voices."

I've seen the Lion King probably 25 times and have never once intrepreted a single racial tone in that movie, never. Of course its there, of course they are everywhere if you spend time and imagination trying to find them.

She also thinks that storys about the reality of coal mining are racist.

"Children at Washington-Beech listened to and discussed the following text from a
story about two miners: “In the morning they were clean as snow... but by night
time they were black as soot, dirty as pitch."

The students and their teacher wrote a letter to the author to protest the
negative use of black in the story and the assumption that cleanliness is white".

www.teachingforchange.org...

Maybe the gents who came out of the mine were black because they were dirty because they were doing a dirty job. If you discern racist tones in a factual description, then you are the racist, not the statement.

This is the kind of absolute nonsense that devalues legitimate efforts to combat racism. I have no doubt that this woman things she is doing good work and that her work is benefiting kids. In reality, she is doing the opposite. She is making a joke out of attempting to rid the society of legitimate bias.
edit on 3-8-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2011 by dolphinfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

She also thinks that "The Lion King" is a racist movie:

"In Disney's The Lion King, the destructive hyenas have black or dark skin. Scarface, the mean lion, has a black mane. After the movie a young child says, "Black people are bad, they are bad in the movie," even though there are only animals in the movie with human voices."

Wasn't Simba's dad the voice of James Earl Jones?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join