It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does God Need Satan to exist?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
The weird part of the story though is that God has the power to get rid of Satan but God chooses not too. We can all agree that Satan is on a lower tier of power compared to God, but still, it doesn't make sense why God could not just banish the devil lol.

Because we are not ready for God to do that...just yet.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

Every super hero needs a super villian or theres no story. Havent you ever seen superman?

edit on 2-8-2011 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
God does not need Satan to exist. Humans need Satan to exist.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpringHeeledJack

While I still do not agree that I am wrong in my reasoning, I with much respect towards you will accept your offer to agree to disagree.

My opinion on the op is that you simply can't have one without the other good/evil, light/dark, matter/anti matter

It truly is a Yin and Yang reality, every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction. This is all IMO though.
edit on 8/2/2011 by XJMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
God does not need Satan to exist. Humans need Satan to exist.

Basically what I meant by saying we dont want God to...yet lol

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by XJMatt

Although reaching two different conclusions, I agree with your summation.

And of course, my opinion is just that. An opinion.
edit on 2-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: extra content

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
The weird part of the story though is that God has the power to get rid of Satan but God chooses not too. We can all agree that Satan is on a lower tier of power compared to God, but still, it doesn't make sense why God could not just banish the devil lol.

God will when He no longer has use of Him, He's still God's whipping boy. Revelation lays out satan's final demise and eternal destination, the lake of fire.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I dont know about god or satan, but without good there can be no evil, and without evil, there can be no good. Yin and Yang is what it is about, balance

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
A God wouldn't need an antagonist

Hes only there as a cop out

"Oh noes why are bad things happening to me, a good Christian?"

"teh Devil did it!"

etc

edit on 2-8-2011 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I sure wish He'd get around to it.... the suspense is killing me....

@OP... I am of the opinion that life would be really boring without the adversary around.... I mean really what fun would it be to be perfect? then again... what is perfect anyways... I'm not much of a fan of the whole black vs white ideology... I can't even figure out who the bad guy is in Genesis 3....

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I've never understood, how god could create something intentionally with the traits that'd lead it to turning bad, and then blame it for turning bad. The explaination of intending satan to fall, while completely unethical, makes somewhat more sense. That would mean that not only does god allow suffering, but he set it in motion, and that's not justifiable.

Similar to how, Eve was never perfect if she was designed gullible enough to fall for the serpents trick, and neither were Adam, and we're being punished for the flaws of people designed to be imperfect.

I'm not christian though, so I don't know everyone's specific rationalizations for it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Ah the major plot holes in genesis

An all knowing being would not need to create a test to see who was naughty and who nice

An all powerful being would not need to create anything, it’s complete and would not needs other resources but if it did need something it would just create what it needed and not have to go to the trouble of making some kind of good/evil filtering system

An all loving being would not create sentient entities and have them run through a rat’s maze to see which ones could work out which belief system was the correct one and then torture forever the ones who guessed wrong

As to satan
An all knowing being would know who would rebel and what the consequences would be

An all powerful being would simply stop satan or un-create him or make him so he wouldn’t rebel or wind time back to stop the talking snake doing any harm

An all loving being would stop his garden of eden experiment there before any other entities where hurt by what the talking snake had done

And while I’m on the subject who was god growing the “knowledge of good and evil” and "ever lasting life" trees for anyway?

edit on 3-8-2011 by racasan because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join