It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does God Need Satan to exist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
It just dawned on me, why does God need Satan to exist, although Satan chose to fall himself, God already knew via his omniscience what was going to happen. Does anyone else see the irony here? I would like to know what others think.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Unvarnished because: Typo.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Unvarnished

It depends on what faith you adhere to.

I grew up in the LDS faith (The Church if Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) aka Mormons. I'm no longer a Christian, but Mormons believe that Lucifer's fall was part of Heavenly Fathers Plan of Salvation. Because if he did not fall he would not have been able to tempt eve into partaking the fruit of good and evil.

This is from Genesis:

22 And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23

Mormons believe that they can become as God by following the plan of salvation, and to do that they need to understand good and evil. If not then you wouldn't be that good of a god.

But in regards to other forms of Christianity, it is up for debate. But it is probably along the same lines.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Because it takes two to tango ....

god needs satin like ying and yang

like positive to negative

like protons to electrons

like male and female

just makes sense

god knows he can whoop satins butt anyday of the week ... thats why satan sticks to drity tricks

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished
It just dawned on me, why does God need Satan to exist, although Satan chose to fall himself, God already knew via his omniscience what was going to happen. Does anyone else see the irony here? I would like to know what others think.

Well, there are those that might argue that you can't understand good without evil, that evil makes us appreciate good. Personally I don't see it that way though. The angels have free will and they choose their own destiny just like we do. It's not a function of what God needs, it's a function of His allowing us to do what we want whether that be good or evil.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well OP,

Because the entire story is make-believe.

Naturally, it's filled with inaccurate nonsense.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Has more to do with free will IMHO. As a test to design more perfect beings or beings like god (who for all we know is completely neutral) evil was created as a polar opposite. If there was only good in the world (pre-fall of humans), there was no choice therefore no free will to decide. After the fall we had the ability to seek out our own choices be they for good or evil. But even those are only choices we deemed to be either good or evil. As there are examples (at least in the Bible, Torah, & Koran) where murder was acceptable etc…Anyway in a dualistic view you have to have both to create a sense of a choice.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
like the post before me it's to create balance, a story almost, like in those movies where there is a clear and easy solution to the problem there wouldn't be a plotline without it. Also theyre just different sides of the same thing, which is energy, god and good being the positive creation side, satan and evil represent the consumption, destruction and negative side. Heaven and Hell are always changing back and forth that is at this moment the nature of how we see our universe, there will eventually come a time when we are no longer bound to these principles, and that is when we first learn to see as god does.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The weird part of the story though is that God has the power to get rid of Satan but God chooses not too. We can all agree that Satan is on a lower tier of power compared to God, but still, it doesn't make sense why God could not just banish the devil lol.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

That is just one of the many many contradictions of monotheistic belief systems.

Another would be, why would a perfect god NEED to be worshiped? A perfect god would not need anything.

If god is so perfect, why did it make so many damn mistakes?

All these questions lead to the only logical conclusion that god and religion was created by man and they both represent the imperfections of ourselves.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Every one of us is "god". And we keep "satan" around as a scapegoat to blame for our fears and our failings. That way we don't have to take responsibility for our own lives, and our own decisions.

It's so much easier to point the finger at an invisible being and say, "it's his fault."
edit on 8/2/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
To run the company called hell
but on a serious note what hero doesn't have a villain ?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpringHeeledJack

Because the story is fake.

Instead of hearing convoluted rationalizations for why these things take place. simply understand that it's all a work of fiction just like the thousands of other god stories out there. Simple. Done.

Source? That's right their is none. You speak as the you know the truth...which makes you sound quite arrogant and ignorant. Unless you have ROCK SOLID VERIFIABLE PROOF that God does not exist.......

Do you have said proof? Or only your opinion on what you THINK proves it?

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
God is pretty much like Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot if you look at the old testament and the cruelty God is resposible for.

So... being an massmurderer and a racist and all that... maybe Satan is just Gods Göbbels

On the other hand the bible is just a fary tale
and a bad one... so its probably just bad writing.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
God is the potential for all possible change and the structure and symmetry those changes reveal.
Lucifer in humans is the intellect, Satan is that part of Lucifer that causes man to betray his personal values.
God needs Satan to give balance and symmetry to his creation whose purpose is to express all possible potential through the universal force of change known as time. God needs Satan to put human values to the test of time and change, all potentials must get expressed.

I know this is not standard christian dogma, just an informed opinion.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
satan means advasary,so does this mean moses was pharoh's satan? lucifer is greek for 'the light bearer",didnt jesus say HE was the light? things that make you go hmmmm!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Look at it this way: If God said one day "You're doing everything wrong. From now on, you will live by my rules, because it's for your own good.", would you be happy about it? I bet most people would feel rather oppressed, and 'history' would repeat itself with a bunch of unhappy souls rebelling and falling into a lawless world.

Instead, God with his 'infinite wisdom' decides that to show us that we really need him, he will allow an evil being to rule over us until things have become the absolute worst they could ever be, then swoop in and destroy Satan and we'll all rejoice and drink wine and sing songs of praise to our benevolent creator who allowed us to suffer in the first place but DAMNED if we care because he saved us! /rant

Its very similar to the idea of a false-flag NWO conspiracy manipulating all the world powers to decieve us into believing that handing all the power to an elite few is the best thing for everyone.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by amodedoma

interesting! food for thought

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stoptheinsanity2012
like the post before me it's to create balance, a story almost, like in those movies where there is a clear and easy solution to the problem there wouldn't be a plotline without it. Also theyre just different sides of the same thing, which is energy, god and good being the positive creation side, satan and evil represent the consumption, destruction and negative side. Heaven and Hell are always changing back and forth that is at this moment the nature of how we see our universe, there will eventually come a time when we are no longer bound to these principles, and that is when we first learn to see as god does.

I like that! Well said.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join