It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The J. Allen Hynek UFO Picture

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Erno86

Erno can you upload those alien photo's your talking about?
i would really like to take a look at them as im sure other ats'ers would too
thanks in advance (hopefully)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
If anyone has the original hardback (Hello Mr Koi),

Hello there

Originally posted by Kandinsky
I wonder if the images are attributed to Hynek in the book I linked to above? If they are, it's fair enough. If they aren't, it's an apocryphal account by Vallee.

Well, the images are ALMOST attributed by Hynek to himself in the hardcopy of "The UFO Experience"...

The photos appear (on the unnumbered photographic inset, opposite page 53) with the following caption:

"Finally, I include two photographs, Figures 8 and 10, taken from the window of an aircraft at 30,000 feet, of an object that I have been unable to identify. Perhaps some reader can identify it as a natural object. If so, I would appreciate knowing the solution. These are two photographs for which I can absolutely vouch".

I'd been planning on covering these photos in an item I started a few years ago on astronomers and UFOs which is now nearly finished. Many thanks Easynow for posting relevant links - they will be a useful shortcut when I am typing up that section of my notes (particularly since one of the copies of the photos in your OP is a better copy than I'd seen online).

I don't have my copy of one of Hynek's less well known books (Edge of Reality, co-authored with Vallee) at hand tonight, but will check that soon for any further details.

All the best,

Isaac

edit on 2-8-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Thanks for that. You're a cyberspace mobile reference library.

edit on 2-8-2011 by Kandinsky because: for an emoticon...of dear

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Glad the links will help and Thanks for the additional information

Do you have any idea what year the sighting took place ? Is it mentioned in the book ?

And please do let us know when you get that "Astronomers and UFOs" project finished up

Allen Hynek Admits Astronomers Do See UFO's !

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by easynow
Do you have any idea what year the sighting took place ? Is it mentioned in the book ?

Hynek doesn't mention any date in his book "UFO Experience", but I have a few avenues to follow up.

Vallee's journal includes a discussion indicating Vallee learnt of the photos in September 1969 - but it is not very clear from that discussion how long before that date the photos were actually taken.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
So where's the other 3 pictures. Lost negatives !??? hummm

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
So where's the other 3 pictures. Lost negatives !??? hummm

Well, that's the problem. A stereo photo isn't nearly as valuable without both photos in the stereo pair. With them, and knowing the distance between the lenses, you can get a rough approximation of both the size of the object and the distance it is away from the camera.

If I was in a debunking mood, I would say that what he caught was a jumble of plasma or ball lightning at the top of a cloud. There have been quite a few new discoveries about lightning in storm clouds made since that photo was taken, and this might be an example of that.

Yeah, if Hynek gave anything to his pals at the NSA, or wherever, good luck getting it back. Even if it doesn't show anything recognizable, those guys are like packrats.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

Well, that's the problem. A stereo photo isn't nearly as valuable without both photos in the stereo pair. With them, and knowing the distance between the lenses, you can get a rough approximation of both the size of the object and the distance it is away from the camera.

Actually, I've seen them, and there's no discernible parallax, so the object was, well, probably at least a kilometer away.

As for the year the photo was taken, 1965 springs to mind, but I am recalling a conversation from 1974 and am probably wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Definitely a weather balloon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a30056cf7b9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
It looks like a partially deployed dish on a commsat to me, altho I'm sure its not.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
With a bit of imagination Hynek's picture could actually remind that of Steven Greer's "E.T. being". Maybe the two are/were in cahoots!

Evil conspiracy? Quite possibly.

Illustration:

Greer's picture:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b75a7b602ce8.jpg[/atsimg]

In all honesty, they're really not that similar after all. Maybe just a little bit, or not.
edit on 3/8/11 by Droogie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Droogie

Greer like Butterflies at 30,000 feet ? lol

No I don't think that's a workable theory but I appreciate your post and for trying to find an explanation

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Was Hynek picture taken during day or night? Could be something on the ground or horizon, much like the Mexico oil fires etc...

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

It's not too often I can contribute with anything in the A&U forums, and I'm aware that this was not one of those times. The thought of comparing Hynek to Greer is silly, and I would never in a serious sense try to do that.

Thanks for sharing the story, it took me by surprise, and I think you'd have to dig deep to get a hold of this information. Quite impressed that you got ahold of the picture as well, applause!

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
That first photo looks like he's holding a pic of the Adamski craft.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
As for the year the photo was taken, 1965 springs to mind, but I am recalling a conversation from 1974 and am probably wrong.

Hi DJW001,

Just a quick post to let you know that I sent you a U2U a day or two ago in an attempt to squeeze some more relevant information from you.

I'm currently exploring about 4 different potential sources of further information regarding Hynek's photos as part of writing up my Astronomers and UFOs.

Ironically, I've found it much easier to get hold of primary source material in relation to sightings by Menzel and Tombaugh than Hynek... I'm a bit frustrated by this so would appreciate hearing from you.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SecretKnowledge
reply to post by Erno86

Erno can you upload those alien photo's your talking about?
i would really like to take a look at them as im sure other ats'ers would too
thanks in advance (hopefully)

I'm sorry, I don't know how to upload, but one of my alien photo's is on YouTube- Titled- Space Alien Hiding Behind Fossil Rock and Petroglyph Carving of a Space Alien- carved by someone unknown too me.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This guy is legit, there was no photshop back then

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMur
This guy is legit, there was no photshop back then

I believe digital image manipulation did exist at least during the late sixties but wasn't public knowledge. That's a subject for a different thread but Photo manipulation of images taken with film has been around since the 1860's or earlier.

The first recorded case of photo manipulation was in the early 1860s, when a photo of Abraham Lincoln was altered using the body from a portrait of John C. Calhoun and the head of Lincoln

en.wikipedia.org...

I think it's very unlikely Dr. Hynek would create a hoax and also publish it in his book

edit on 23-8-2011 by easynow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Interesting topic and certainly an interesting picture.
It shares some similarities with another random sighting, no?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cae817f2b0d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e8a883e80de5.png[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join