It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CANADIANS!- Let's talk about heath care!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is the American dream ( nightmare)

Understand my father worked for 35 years and never took any welfare. He was a steel worker then a cab driver. He had a stroke while living alone and needed help and believe me it was hard to get if you don’t have insurance in this country.

My father didn’t have insurance, or at least they didn’t think he did. They did treat him in the hospital for a few days.

They turned him out of the hospital half dead, unable to even cross the street by himself. I had to take him into my home and get him help. I wondered how they could let someone out of a hospital in this shape! I went to the social services in the hospital and was treated like we had leprosy, and was sent on wild goose chases to try to get him in a nursing home, all to no avail.

I went to the welfare office and again was so mad after the experience, I contemplated cutting all the tires of the social workers!

Then at one clinic I met a saint, a doctor, who didn’t give a dam about the system, he took it upon himself to help my old man. In all my experience with the American health care and social service system for those in need, he was the only decent empathetic human being I met.

I finally applied to get him on SSI and got his 10 or so prescriptions filled with my insurance until I got him on SSI. It was hard going taking care of a very sick man all by myself, my brother haad to come and help take care of him. Finally an ex mayor of the town I lived in got him in a nursing home, an impossibility without this help because its so expensive.

Later my father died, and all this, believe me, was the worst experience of my life.

Don’t you folks ever believe for one minute that this country, America, takes care of those in need without tying its best to just let you die. I know because I lived it.

That’s the American nightmare

I wonder how they would have treated my father had he been in Canada

edit on 1-8-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
A i allowed to cross post?

for example:

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

ObamaCare = rationing
Take a number and good luck.
That sounds like Canada.
No wonder they fly down here for medical care.

That's funny, because from my understanding (and notice that I'm in Europe), people who will DIE if they don't get care, fly up to Canada, so they can be treated like humans, and not be charged thousands of dollars for a nurse to wipe their behind.

People who want luxuary in Health-Care, fly down to the US. Provably from watching too many episodes of House.
edit on 1/8/11 by Tifozi because: typo

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

A i allowed to cross post?

It's not cross posting if it comes from ATS, as this looks like.

for example:

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

ObamaCare = rationing
Take a number and good luck.
That sounds like Canada.
No wonder they fly down here for medical care.

Now can we have a link that will show the whole discussion, not just your opinion?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I somewhat agree, but it is not necessarily their fault. It is ridiculously hard to find a family doctor. Clinics are a better choice, but I think sometimes people don't know this or they think they are sicker than they actually are.

I have been to the ER many times for a condition that could be treated at a clinic (UTI), but by the time the test results come back, it's 2-3 days later and I cannot afford to wait. At the hospital, they do the preliminary tests, diagnose based on my symptoms, and give me the antibiotics I need.

I used to be in the ER every summer due to my shunt screwing up. I never waited more than 3 hours to get in the back and was generally home in less than 12 hours, after getting IV fluids, antibiotics, and painkillers. That is pretty darn good if you ask me. I will take this system over a first come, first served (if you got cash) system any day of the week.

I have seen many Americans online commenting on Canadian doctors being no good (even though the Americans have never been here). I find that interesting; my neurosurgeon is recognized as one of the best anywhere and was even invited to the US to teach his techniques. He returned after two years, because he missed his regular patients.

Our system is not perfect, but it is very good. Everyone will be treated, but of course they have to go through triage. It is ridiculous to leave the person bleeding from a chest wound, in favour of a person with the flu.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tifozi

People who want luxuary in Health-Care, fly down to the US. Provably from watching too many episodes of House.

Not necessarily luxury care. I have known people who have had elective surgery who have chosen to pay more to go visit an American doctor than wait a while for similar procedures covered in their own country.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by intrepid

I somewhat agree, but it is not necessarily their fault. It is ridiculously hard to find a family doctor. Clinics are a better choice, but I think sometimes people don't know this or they think they are sicker than they actually are.

I, too, had difficulty getting a family doctor for a while. I have been to walk in clinics, and while it is better than nothing, that's about the best thing i could say about it. I'm not a big fan of doctors, though.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I live in the US. I have spent over $900 dollars over 3 visits with my personal doctor to find out that I need tests and several. The problem is that I have no insurance and they cost more than a car or two so

OH WELL.
No waiting lines.
No more costs.
NO TESTS!

Gosh, I am sure it will end up cheaper for all the other Americans when I start dying in the street. That has to save a few bucks right? The US medical system is cough!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Not necessarily luxury care. I have known people who have had elective surgery who have chosen to pay more to go visit an American doctor than wait a while for similar procedures covered in their own country.

You see, that's the problem with this discussion.

You are putting on the same jar people who can pay thousands of dollars for treatment, with people who can't afford it, or people who had accidents and don't have that kind of money at the time the accident happens.

It's not about the people who CAN pay for it. If your friends are wealthy enough to just give away thousands of dollars for ridiculous things, good for you, it's good to know that some people are living confortably, and they should enjoy it.

But, like any decent person, we also have to consider those who can't afford the same things we do. That's the concept of "help".

People aren't to blame for the background where they grow up. So if they can't afford a transplant, a surgery, or any kind of treatment, the humane thing is to provide them so.

It's not about the person who can select the better treatment, wether national or not, it's about the people who CAN'T.

And may I had something relevant? In countries like mine, if OUR country doesn't have the necessary equipment or staff to save someones life, or treat the person, the State will pay the treatment outside the country. There are multiple cases of people being in the US and Canada or France, receiving treatment, all payed, with hotel for the parents.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

You see, that's the problem with this discussion.

You are putting on the same jar people who can pay thousands of dollars for treatment, with people who can't afford it, or people who had accidents and don't have that kind of money at the time the accident happens.

No, i'm not.

I think you may have misunderstood my point. I quite clearly sad 'elective surgery'. As in, 'not immediately necessary'. I merely offered that anecdotal experience to try and counter the claims you are referring to. We are arguing the same point.
edit on 1-8-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: code

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by misfitofscience
reply to post by Bluesma

doesnt France also send in a care giver free of charge to do household chores to give the parents a break? I love that aspect of it!

If you have a baby, you do if there was complications or you had a C-section. But I had 3rd degree burns on my legs once and had a housekeeper/babysitter 8 hours a day for two months. I didn't pay a dime. Women get re-education of the vaginal muscles for several weeks after having a baby too. That always made me laugh- typically french.... a good sex life is considered good for your overall health!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
the problem in canada is shortage of doctors. from what i've seen, the wait times could be cut shorter if there wasn't just 1 or 2 doctors working a whole shift trying to juggle 30 people in the waiting room.

most of the times, blame could be laid at the e.r. administrator, who's never at his desk. the system could be managed more efficiently.

what people don't seem to understand is that all emergency admittances have to be treated seriously and procedures have to be followed, which is time consuming.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
First off you would have to be an idiot to fly to the states to pay for health care when you recieve it all for free. Secondly there is nothing wrong with our health care system there are plenty of public and private care sites. So if any Canadian didn't want to wait for treatment they could simply attend one of the private care sites in Canada rather than flying to the USA to support a failing economy.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well Sick Kids hospital in Toronto is the best hospital in the world if I'm not mistaken. But as for other hospitals, the wait can be 4-5 hours in some places unless you're dieing in the waiting room. But once you get in, it's quality care from there!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiskyKisses
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Yeah, the stay in the waiting room is generally a fair amount longer (though no where even CLOSE to the supposed ten to twelve hours mentioned above, think closer to two or three at worst), but I wouldn't speak out against the quality of the aid once actually seeing a medic. I've been in at St. Mike's (I'm a Toronto boy) a few times now for various amounts of stitches, and one or two broken bones, and its always struck me as competent, kind, and professional!
edit on 1-8-2011 by WhiskyKisses because: Apparently I need to not post and drink...

I took a buddy in to two different Ontario hospitals, three times. Now, he could have called an ambulance, but I was right next door and got him in quick, he has cardiopulmonary issues and has had seizures/strokes. On the three occasions, yes it was life threatening as he could not breath properly, his pulse was over 140 sitting still and his blood pressure was 167/122. In all three cases, he had to wait between 8 and 12 hours to be seen by a doctor and I know that for a fact, because I waited with him from between 1 and 3 in the morning until 10am to 3pm and one time I drove home and picked him up the next day.

The stupid thing about all of this, is they couldn't diagnose him properly and consequently he had to come back for the two additional emergencies. The fourth time when he went to a new doctor with a local lab, they figured out he had asthma and pneumonia.

So, do our hospitals sometimes suck, hell yeah! Are the waiting times too long, hell yeah! Do they sometimes get it right, hell yeah, maybe 25% of the time from what I have seen first hand and this is about just one person I know.

Do yourself a favor, learn a bit of surgery for an emergency like how to do your own field stitching or take out an appendix. Learn in general terms what medications work for which problems, you can always ask a pharmacist, they are very smart normally, friendly and helpful. Treat your body like you would treat a car, listen for the problems and even if you have to take it to a mechanic, know what needs to be done, or as much as you can, ahead of time so things don't get missed.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm impressed with the health care I've received in BC under our provinces government plan.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
My cousin married a Canadian, lives in Canada and holds dual citizenship. So he's experienced both health care systems. He thinks the Canadian health care system is great. He said he was really peeved hearing the debate about the U.S. health system. He said you have to experience the Canadian health care system to realize the negative propaganda that is being spewed about government sponsored health care.

Canada has the lowest debt among all the industrial nations, so they have to be doing something right.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
All my meds for my thyroid and chronic fatigue are covered and all the tests which I get frequently and all the surgery. I just had major surgery and yes, there was a wait list as it wasnt life threatening but iI was in very good hands for the surgery, though not quite half way through recovery am doing so faster than expected and wonderful care. Not a penny of cost to me.

Most people pay premiums of some sort, but they're not high.

My fathers prostrate cancer surgery was a 2 month wait and he's fine. He just had additional surgery to correct some of the side affects from having that removed.

Overall most Canadians are horrified by the US situation which amongst the First World Nations is the worst health care imaginable.

Most Canadians save for the few rich amongst us are horrified at the US political situation, lack of services and will never accept any of this on our land.
edit on 2-8-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

The longest wait in BC in the emergency was a couple hours and that was only because it was a busy night and some of the more urgent cases go ahead of the ones that are deemed less urgent. That was the longest wait on average, its been under an hour.

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshepherd92
Well Sick Kids hospital in Toronto is the best hospital in the world if I'm not mistaken. But as for other hospitals, the wait can be 4-5 hours in some places unless you're dieing in the waiting room. But once you get in, it's quality care from there!

Big cities where there are more accidents or injuries may have a longer wait on occasion, but I'm pretty sure that is not typical day/night however.

I don't like big cities, even the one I'm in is far too big at over 80 000, and the longest wait was 2 hours roughly, on a busy night where a few more serious cases went ahead.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join