It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Great Changes to Unemployment Law in Florida

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is a brief but welcome news story.
Changes to unemployment benefits start today.

You used to be able to file by mail creating the need for more employees.
The move to make it ALL online will save millions.

Used to be you had to show proof from 1 (ONE!) job a week that you went there looking for work.
Now it is 5 (five) times. Its about time!

And all this is filed electronically so it will make it much easier to verify and check - ie more difficult for people to lie and say they have been looking when they've been at the racetrack or taking up a bar stool in their local pub.

Also now you have to take a skills assessment test to show employers you have some capacity to do the given job and prove you are hire-able in some area at least. This is completely new.

I think this is much better and am relieved to see this common sense approach is starting today.

The only think missing now is the mandatory drug tests.

Not really kidding. I am with the crazy Rick Scott on this. I think if you are taking public money maybe you should prove you are also drug free and ABLE to work since you have to pass drug tests on many jobs these days to even be eligible. If you are using you are ineligible and so unemployment benefits should be voided, like any other fraud.

Changes to unemployment benefits start today

www.cfnews13.com...

TALLAHASSEE -- Unemployment benefits in Florida are going through some changes.
Starting today, statewide job seekers will have a few more hurdles to clear before they qualify to receive their unemployment checks.

New state rules take effect today requiring jobseekers to make contact with at least five potential employers every week.

And, new claimants must now complete a skills assessment online.

Also starting today, you can only file claims online.
Phoning or mailing it in is no longer available.

Officials say these measures will help streamline the system and save the state almost $5 million annually.
This savings is being estimated from the computer updating alone. The saving in pay outs and getting people back to work is untold here. It should be tremendous....or much improved, at least.

Jobless benefits change this week
www.tallahassee.com...

Starting this week, laid-off workers collecting unemployment compensation in Florida will have to show that they are seriously looking for a new job.

And if they get any severance pay, their jobless benefits will be docked until they use it up.
Gov. Rick Scott calls the changes fair, a way to save taxpayers and employers money while prodding a quick return to work.

The Florida AFL-CIO considers the new rules "quite ghoulish," a punishment for victims of the recession.

"What we want to make sure is that all those dollars are spent on people who are looking for a job," Scott said of the unemployment compensation changes he signed into law in June.

"We want to be fair to the individual looking for a job and we want to be fair to the people paying those taxes."

Halleluiah!

What do you think?

edit on 1-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
While proof of looking for a job isn't a terrible idea, I do think that in these crazy times it may be rather difficult.

Just my opinion...but if you are to take a skills evaluation test,( and let's say you were a welder for 15 years until you were let go from your job) the test would be used to show that you needed to apply for welding jobs, or possibly something in construction.

What happens when there are not 5 jobs available for you to apply for? Would you not get a check then?

I know the tests are there so if you are a welder, you can't apply for jobs as a doctor, or rocket scientist, or beautician, so you would be denied employment, thus continuing your unemployment benefits.

That worked well, in years past, but now days, not so much. There simply are so few jobs listed anywhere.

Plus. Internet access is an expense some unemployed simply can't afford.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: Oops

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Your politicians are also taking public money as Police etc so therefore they too should be drug tested

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
Your politicians are also taking public money as Police etc so therefore they too should be drug tested

True. Absolutely. I agree. Lets get this written into law. See if we can get any government people to sponsor a bill like this. Funny. We can dream.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Not to mention all those private industries deemed to big to fail, who have received huge amounts in corporate welfare.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wetpaint72
While proof of looking for a job isn't a terrible idea, I do think that in these crazy times it may be rather difficult.

Just my opinion...but if you are to take a skills evaluation test,( and let's say you were a welder for 15 years until you were let go from your job) the test would be used to show that you needed to apply for welding jobs, or possibly something in construction.

What happens when there are not 5 jobs available for you to apply for? Would you not get a check then?

I know the tests are there so if you are a welder, you can't apply for jobs as a doctor, or rocket scientist, or beautician, so you would be denied employment, thus continuing your unemployment benefits.

That worked well, in years past, but now days, not so much. There simply are so few jobs listed anywhere.

Plus. Internet access is an expense some unemployed simply can't afford.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Wetpaint72 because: Oops

It's not perfect - but it is better.
I know all this is very sad and unfortunate but survival is a great motivator too. People will have to do their best and we may hinder some in the process. This is never acceptable but for many, this is saving them from themselves. Without some inspiration in the form of a threat to return to the workforce they are doomed to use idle time badly and fall victim to or be an instigator of crime to support themselves or drugs to sedate themselves from their unfortunate predicament, or both.

At least we can see who is under served with this and address that on an individual basis. If the welders remain unemployed there might be stronger efforts to find them work if you have to begin (previously shelved due to finances) work to do it.
edit on 1-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I'll go along with what you said, but that's a pretty dicey slope on the drug testing. I understand the point about drug addicts not getting benefits. I get it.
But in my mind, it's a mom sitting at home with 3 kids and waiting for "joey" to drop off the drug of choice and swat fly's away from the kids.

Or do they have a pint of shnapps in their coffee in the morning?

Or a doobie at night before bedtime?

Or 4 prescription Tylenols with Codein or buy Oxy's or heroin off the street?

I guess my point is,who decides the defintion of drug abuse, and how to effectivly enforce and TREAT it?

A 3 strikes program?

And while I agree in principle that drug abusers are on and in the system,I don't know how you can enforce more laws by drug of choice.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

I do realize that nothing is perfect. But why do things have to be so black and white. This is similar to the system in South Carolina where I grew up. I went in, took the test, and they gave me a book with the jobs they had available. They were numbered in corospondance to the test. And those were the jobs you could apply for. Be it 2 or 10, that was it.

The people who are losers and don't give a crap will find away around the system, they always do.

It's the honest folks who will suffer, they always do.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by niceguybob
I'll go along with what you said, but that's a pretty dicey slope on the drug testing. I understand the point about drug addicts not getting benefits. I get it.
But in my mind, it's a mom sitting at home with 3 kids and waiting for "joey" to drop off the drug of choice and swat fly's away from the kids.

Or do they have a pint of shnapps in their coffee in the morning?

Or a doobie at night before bedtime?

Or 4 prescription Tylenols with Codein or buy Oxy's or heroin off the street?

I guess my point is,who decides the defintion of drug abuse, and how to effectivly enforce and TREAT it?

A 3 strikes program?

And while I agree in principle that drug abusers are on and in the system,I don't know how you can enforce more laws by drug of choice.

I guess if you have illegal drugs in your system you are using drugs.
It is a tough pill to swallow but you can't get a job if you have a doobie in the evenings.
Why should I pay for someone to just go through the motions?
I would have to be born yesterday.

Most people make better choices drug free and so are more likely to succeed.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I do realize that nothing is perfect. But why do things have to be so black and white. This is similar to the system in South Carolina where I grew up. I went in, took the test, and they gave me a book with the jobs they had available. They were numbered in corospondance to the test. And those were the jobs you could apply for. Be it 2 or 10, that was it.

The people who are losers and don't give a crap will find away around the system, they always do.

It's the honest folks who will suffer, they always do.

Maybe true too. You should certainly have had more hands on evaluation and consideration for many more openings. That sounds like a poorly running office - at least in my experience. It was an injustice to you. You might have had better luck in a neighboring town or larger city office.

But usually I have found that honest folk can go into one of the Workforce Innovation Offices and find all the resources and leads they can handle in a week. You can find and utilize helpful people, who will work with you until you ARE employed in at least something to start. When you are finally working you are more employable..it should not be that way but it is. People wonder "Maybe they're an ax murderer and that's why they're unemployed."
only a slight exaggeration!

I know this is not true concerning you personally, but people only go to the workforce innovation offices for the one day it is mandatory.

They get some leads, they don't always pan out and then it's right back to the.... couch and the cheetos, I can't do anything right, may as well chill here and feel sorry for myself, pass the remote...mentality.

This will help those people get motivated.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Thank you for civil discussion. Sometimes it is hard to come by around here.

This is a sensitive subject for me. My dad is the welder in question. He is 64, been working at the same place for 30 years. There is little work so he only gets to work about one week a month. It is killing him mentally and financially. I have seen him work his butt of, rain or shine, in sickness and in health, and now at 64, what the heck is he supposed to do. Though he can work circles around men half his age, he is still 64 on paper. He deserves that puny check.

And using the Internet for him is laughable to say the least.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Hey OP
I have a better idea.

Why not load up all the unemployed on busses, asses their skills, put them to work for the unemployment money.

Raise the unemployment wage to 10.00/ hr. Set them to work mowing highways, fixing bridges, driving public transportation, managing the flow of unemployed to whatever job, child care for those who want to work for their check...on and on.

Now that sounds like a way to weed out lazy, pay a fair temporary wage, and get things done in states that are loosing those services to budget demands.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Thank you for civil discussion. Sometimes it is hard to come by around here.

This is a sensitive subject for me. My dad is the welder in question. He is 64, been working at the same place for 30 years. There is little work so he only gets to work about one week a month. It is killing him mentally and financially. I have seen him work his butt of, rain or shine, in sickness and in health, and now at 64, what the heck is he supposed to do. Though he can work circles around men half his age, he is still 64 on paper. He deserves that puny check.

And using the Internet for him is laughable to say the least.

That is a terrible situation and for many people not working drains their vitality their spirit and sense of usefulness. I feel for your dad.
I know what many people are doing is expanding the possibilities for their talent. There may be an artist who works with steel and needs a welder to assist. There may be new applications for welding that have not been considered. I don't know but maybe for example to get thinking out of the box...I live in FL and see metal patio furniture discarded due to one break. Someone might make a living gathering and repairing and selling again these perfectly good but slightly damaged items.
Who assembles swing sets for kids. There used to be wielding involved at least when I was a kid. And bicycles. Perhaps the local charity might hire your dad for repairs like that to things that might be saved.

I'd get a group of welders together to send the Mayor a letter telling to consider starting some shovel ready city or area improvement projects that require welders because all of you are desperately in need of it. Takes only a little time and request a reply, copy the local newspaper and City Hall or City Council. It costs nothing and might get gears in motion. You will feel a little more effective knowing you ARE trying everything.

For 5 dollars and change ANYONE can go to vistaprint.com and make a Jack of All Trades business card that sells themselves as an additional tool in the employment arsenal.
Be it fixing bikes or repairing swing sets or refurbishing something. You can put a paragraph into one line and it will appear on the card for you to edit and customize. People think those are limited to name address, email and phone number. Simply click on the boxes to erase those boxes you don't need or are in the way of your text.
I advise everyone out of work to make this small investment in themselves.
Even for just personal pride it helps to have a card to pass out. It says I am still somebody and people hang on to cards where they may just file an application.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Hey OP
I have a better idea.

Why not load up all the unemployed on busses, asses their skills, put them to work for the unemployment money.

Raise the unemployment wage to 10.00/ hr. Set them to work mowing highways, fixing bridges, driving public transportation, managing the flow of unemployed to whatever job, child care for those who want to work for their check...on and on.

Now that sounds like a way to weed out lazy, pay a fair temporary wage, and get things done in states that are loosing those services to budget demands.

I really like it. Pity many of these jobs are unionized to the point where there is nothing left for the unskilled to do. I think re-cycling is the wave of the future. Why am I separating and washing out bottles when there are plenty of people out of work who need jobs? Let them do this and separate the stuff. Roadwork and garbage pick up. You can't even get these jobs and yet the work needs doing.
They have them locked up so only a few are paid a fortune to do this work. Bring the rates down to affordable and hire everyone willing to do it.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I love your positive attitude.

He has been, on occasion, designing and making church steeples on the side, when his boss let's hin use his equipment. He is pretty much of the same mindset as you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You will get no argument from me there.....and the bail outs of banks. I can't remember which American car company just received a bail out afew weeks ago and is taking their manufacturing offshore.

With all the fuss I see in videos of Police officers and Prison Wardens ......makes me wonder how many of them are actually on steriods. Yep, there's a good start; drug test them too and I have no doubts 1/3 of them would test positive.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It is a good thing that job seekers have to document which jobs they're applying for, but I think that Florida needs to change their outlook on employment.

As of now, Florida is considered a Right to Work state. It should instead be considered a Right to Be Fired state. In Florida, you can be fired for any reason at all. They don't even have to give you a reason. In other states, they at least have to document activities that lead up to a reason for why you're being fired. Not in Florida.

Now, people get a job and are usually let go before the employer has to start giving the employee benefits. This way, the employer creates a revolving door effect so they can simply save money. Hire someone and keep them on until they're eligible for benefits, then fire them and hire someone new until they're eligible, then fire them. Rinse and repeat.

Florida should change this so that employers have to document exactly what an employee is doing wrong. Maybe a three strikes and you're out unless they're stealing or coming to work drunk or something. A company should never be allowed to let someone go without a valid and documented reason(s).

Any other states like this that you folks know of? I sure don't.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wetpaint72

thats the solution, when somebody loses a job they are not unemployed, they are a temporary government worker, working in which ever field best suits them for a wage, if the wage is less, then they do less hours, maybe 3-4 days a week and 1-2 days off to apply for jobs plus interview days.

gaining skills, staying healthy/motivated and giving a service. even if it was opt in, at least it would give people who want help a better chance. i like your thinking.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

I would have to be born yesterday.

Or be just another unfeeling non-empathetic greedy American pig.

Yes some people maybe more than should take advantage of the system. It is the price we pay for a society to work. Otherwise we are just another smart animal. Everyone needs to stop being cheese chasing animals and step up to the plate and be a caring human.

I am so sick of what some (it seems to becoming most) Americans have become. TPTB play us like we are a fine instrument don't they?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

nice Avatar, is it a 'sheeple' connotation?

I find it how IRONIC!! you are obviously not thinking things through, Or maybe you are against Ron Paul's beliefs..I bet you are also AGAINST PERSONAL FREEDOM too..Do you realize that the drugs which are the most damaging at every level are usually never detected? Such AS Meth, '___', Cocaine are processed out of the body very rapidly and many never 'pop' a drug test. Do you realize how much corruption, added expense, and 'sweetheart' testing contracts will float around the 'connected'?
yet someone who, after a stressful day of trying to find a job, hits a joint to lower their stress levels will be penalized.

Do you think a being should be free to do what they want with their bodies as long as it doesn't harm others?

I guess someone collecting unemployment is "beneath you" huh? I'm sure that whatever job you do that there are at least 1,000 unemployed people in your state who could do it just as good as you, if not better. Only arrogance would deny this.
Supply and Demand could dictate that one of those unemployed found a way to replace you for half the wage, then would you take a pay cut to keep your job, and then the cycle perpetuates. when you start to THINK completely, you may begin to understan that THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO GO AROUND..So, in the future you could either take a large pay cut or be completely unemployed one day.

Have you invented anything? or saved the world? enought times to be on the moral high ground elevated enough to spout Sheeple babble about further restricting personal freedom.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join