It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strike by BBC journalists disrupting programs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

LONDON (AP) — BBC news programs are being disrupted as journalists stage a 24-hour strike to protest job cuts.

The BBC is getting some of their budgets cut and are facing some layoffs.

BBC radio's flagship morning news program, "Today," started an hour later than usual at 7 a.m. because of Monday's strike by members of the National Union of Journalists.

Some other live programs were replaced with prerecorded shows.

I sometimes watch BBC, but Ive lately been getting my news from other sources. I still thought this is interesting, since BBC is a pretty well known, worldwide news company.

They have striked before, last month, and also plan to strike again if nothing is done in August.

Has this strike interrupted any ATSers news watching today?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I wonder why they are having budget cuts,it's not like the tv license fee has been cut the robbing wankers

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The Conservative government and the culture secretary Jeremy Hunt froze the licence fee when they came into power for the next 6 years. And given inflation is in real terms what, around 10%? The BBC are essentially losing 10% of their income per year.

Of course the conservative government and jeremy hunt are very much in the pockets of Murdoch in this regard, and Murdoch is deliberately attempting to destroy the BBC, because they are the only viable competition to the Sky Juggernaut in the UK.

So at heart these strikes are basically about seeking to oppose the wishes of the Murdoch Empire.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I hope the BBC do get destroyed,in the year 2011 i should have the right to pay the liscense fee if i want to watch the BBC and the right to not pay it if i don't want to watch the BBC.Makes me sick.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
They are loosing revenue not only due to the t.v. license freeze, but also are loosing sports rights to sky sports, also they are paying the stars too much money as far as I am concerned.

Ive always had the believe that maybe they should, be let to do what sky does, rather than being funded by the public. Maybe we would have better programmes.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gibbajabba

Oh come on they have made some great programmes, although they do pay the stars way too much for wages. Those workers in the BBC are just like you and me who at the end of the day work for a living.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I would usually disagree with you there, but the recent nonsense over the BBC with the F1 deal where they've capitulated to Sky and Murdoch and sold out the fans has me scratching my head a bit wondering if the days of the compulsory licence fee maybe are over and done with.

The F1 and Doctor Who are the two things I watch on the BBC. Oh, and Family Guy on BBC3. Three things I watch on the BBC.

And with the F1 going, and Doctor Who being messed about with. And Family Guy being mostly repeats. I'm certainly not getting value for money out of the licence fee.

(And for the BBC to say they had to abandon the F1 because of the costs, £45 million a year. When they just spent £900 million moving their sports center to Salford. When they just spent £22 million for a x-factor rip off called The Voice. One has to question the people who are making the decisions.)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

Well look at the Sports rites they have lost.

Scottish Football Matches
English Football Matches
Formula 1
Tennis Tournaments.
Etc

Is there any other sports rites they have lost.

Oh the nail in the coffin would be the Olympics.

Sky is too dominant in the UK.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by gibbajabba
I wonder why they are having budget cuts,it's not like the tv license fee has been cut the robbing wankers

Compared to what I pay for my cable package the BBC is cheap as err cheese, as someone who cant stand adverts I nearly always have a beeb prog as my "back" channel on my remote that I watch when the ads are on my 1st choice chan, in short the BBC is excellent value for money at what about £2 a week.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The point that your all missing about what i said though is i rarely watch tv yet i still pay the fee for a service i don't use.Nobody can say that's justified!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Exactly the cable. sky channels are really bad when it comes to adverts. Always annoys me you only get 5 minutes for the beginning of a tv programme, then it cuts to 15 minutes of advertisement. Really bugs my happiness

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

At £2 a week and your self imposed lack of use of the service it's an injustice I can live with, sorry, as it makes Brit tv and radio way better than all the rest in my experience again sorry for your martyrdom

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I don't care what you think either,yes your happy to pay it good for you

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Agreed, the Olympics is surely why the BBC sports budget is being cut back for everything else. I mean, apparently they're bringing us live coverage of all 700 miles of the torch relay. And I just bet they are employing every talking head in the country for the damned Olympics.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I care what you think and recognised it as an injustice, just a very minor injustice I was/am prepared to live with as it's of no consequence.

top topics

join