It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 hours of no food & water for a Muslim

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
To my Muslim brothers and sisters who are reading this, I would like to say Ramadan Kareem

The month of Ramadan is upon Muslims and today is the first day of fasting for Torontonians anyways. I sit waiting to start the morning prayers parched already. The daunting task of withholding food and drink close to 16 hours has finally hit me. I have fasted before but during the winter months where the day was short, now the day is long and hot. I believe the challenge will help me to carry on.

Hopefully this Ramadan will be fruitful mentally, physically and spiritually. I have picked up the habit of swearing lately and hope to cut it off and have had this terrible issue with my anger which has been annoying me. These and a score of many things which I hope to correct this month.

I would like to thank all those who have read this, it is my way to get things into perspective and above all a reminder for myself

I hope this thread can be used for Muslims to describe their experience during Ramadan, and for Non-Muslim to understand why their Muslim coworker looks like their going to die of hunger lo
edit on 1-8-2011 by ZarbeMomin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Good on you man, amazing what you can really push your body to do.

Personally I got a totally different relationship with Jah.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I always wondered something:

As a non-Muslim in Kuwait during Ramadan, is it offensive to eat during the day? I noted that certain places were still operating and filled with foreign workers and such. I also smoked out in public during these hours. I assumed this was offensive but honestly (with no antagonistic intent) didn't care.
edit on 1-8-2011 by SpringHeeledJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Has anyone ever died during the fast?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZarbeMomin
To my Muslim brothers and sisters whore

Intrigued.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1-8-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ZarbeMomin

I suppose this is not the time for Muslims to be visiting the North Pole....

But yeah, Happy Ramadan to everyone!

I remember in Pakistan, I was working at one time with Pakistanis and a couple of non-muslims as well when Ramadan started. When generally everyone got up for the lunch break, a couple of sandwiches were brought in for the non-muslims discreetly on a table to the side, and they filled themselves, and then got back to work with the muslims.

Also in Pakistan at the time, restaurants were mostly closed during most of the day (I suppose it wouldn't be cost-effective for them to stay open), but you could get snacks (or even proper food) from bakeries or the grocery store or the supermarket.

As far as I was aware, it wasn't illegal or anything to eat outdoors, just thought of as being "impolite".
edit on 1-8-2011 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

You dont fast if you have you have something that makes u bed-ridden, ie flu, and espicially anything life threatening. theres also other things like female menstruation days and travelling days. thats all i can remember.

Ramadan Mubarak. agnostic muslim here. my god the no smoking for so long is going to be ridiculous this year

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Whilst not obseving the fast myself I have broken the fast a number of times with Muslims I know and one of the more pious I knew came out with an angle I hadn't noticed. He said.

We observe a fast and during it remember the poor and starving of the world, then make way too much food to break the fast and throw much of it away.

That's my most telling observance from breaking fast during Ramadan. Any other tales would be of beautiful curries and homemade samosas and pakoras and so forth but we won't go into that you might be fasting right at this minute.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by goldentorch
Any other tales would be of beautiful curries and homemade samosas and pakoras and so forth but we won't go into that you might be fasting right at this minute.

See this is why we need sharia law in western society, because people like you, with your ignorance and your white man attitude.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by klenker

simple spelling mistake lol, can't catch errors at 4 in the morning

by the way sex is also forbidden during the fast

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

talk about those samosas and pakoras all you want, i know i will be craving them soon tonight lol

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

reply to post by klenker

Isnt sex forbidden most of the time?

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ZarbeMomin

Only 16 hours? I've slept longer than that before. What is the significance of doing that, if I may ask? No intention of disrespecting you or your beliefs, but I'm just curious.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
ill tell you one gain right now, i just snuck a couple puffs off my smoke, and they felt like smokes from heaven (or hell). but aside from immediate gain of appreciation for things. you learn to be a lot more patient, suppressing anger which is proven to prolong life, mainly i believe it centers around the sympathy for the much less fortunate. i can list more if u wanna hear them

eta: youre right 16 hours isnt a big deal, ive stayed in a village in a frica that couldnt procure water from its wells for weeks, we had to live off half dried cucumbers and rotting tomatoes for liquid. the food was scarce on top of that. but the masses can usually keep themselves alive one way or the other, they will be a bunch of skeletors running around sure but a lot will survive. for 30 days is what gets most people, # gets irritating third week through
edit on 1-8-2011 by Amassuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Amassuo

You're an Agnostic Muslim that wishes to issue Sharia decrees????
Glad to see the original poster took my comments in the way they were intended. The only way I could work with Muslim youth is because I was non-judgemental and more especially not a racist.
The people I worked with also invited me to the meal to begin Eid ul-Fitr.
My post contained nothing anti-Muslim nor was it racist in any way. I merley re-iterated a very very devout muslim on his musings of a paradox.
I feel it was a telling thought well conveyed and worth sharing. Food for thought one may say and could give us all pause for thought in a World of conspicuous consumption.
So for an Agnostic Muslim to post such an ignorant diatribe purportedly in support of a religion he does not follow re-inforces the more ignorant as to certain mindsets and their ability to be pernicious in any society.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

reply to post by klenker

Haha I knew that, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, but it was noticable to me, and I did get a warning for it, unfortunately.

I hope you did not take it the wrong way.

PS Crikey no sex? Im an honorary member it appears!!

edit on 1-8-2011 by klenker because: we're all making typos today it seems lol

edit 2 - is it just me, or is apis.google just being pathetic? I cannot reply without 3 or 4 attempts.

edit on 1-8-2011 by klenker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I don't see why you need to do this in a specific day as a ritual. Also I don't get how this is a daunting task in any way other than one actually taking the time to take care of his body.

If you spend 1 day per week only on liquids (water, juices not alcohol duh) you relief your digestive system from the constant work and let your body have time cleanse itself from all of the toxic substances that have accumulated rather than to struggle with the vast amounts of food.

I mean no offense and I see that some teachings in religion do have methods that help you live a more healthy and worthy lifestyle.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
sex is allowed with your wife only

the fast is from dawn till dusk, for over a period of 29 or 30 days depending when the lunar month finishes according to the moon, its not just one day

the ritual of fasting is to make people aware of the plight of many people go through who do not have access to food or water, but the reason to fast is simple God commanded Muslims to fast for Him and Him alone

‎"Oh you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may learn piety and righteousness." [2:183]

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by goldentorch

that was absolute sarcasm. i strongly believe there is absolutely no muslim threath of that sort what -so-ever.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

Ramadan lasts a month and everyday muslims have to wake up at 6 o'clock in the morning, pray all day, go till 6 oclock in the evening without a single sip of water and you will see why its worth it.

As a christian living in a muslim country, i try to respect the laws of ramadan aside from the fact that the government has said that any one caught eating or smoking out in public will be punished, including expatriates.

Funny enough first day of ramadan and on my way to work this morning as we here on the radio about the punishment for offenders, there was a construction worker vamping his water bottle on the side of the road, hopefully he didn't get caught, but it was so coincidental.

They say that it is good to fast because it helps detox your body and because you mainly drink water you become more healthy and lose weight. Only bad thing is they stuff themselves at 6 but your body will cling on to more of the fat from the food you last ate as your body couldn't cope with the lack of energy, so it takes more or something like that

One of the down falls of not eating for such a long period of time is that over here in Dubai, ramadan is the most likely time of the month for there to be more car accidents, as people cant think straight because they haven't eaten or they are rushing home in a hurry to eat and there are many other reasons concerning food.

i suggest you give it a try and see for yourself, ive tried it before and failed but i use to have an eating disorder where i couldn't stop eating, just loved food to much to let it go lol but now i have conquered that demon, i may give it another go.

Peace Out

Ramadan Kareem to any muslims
edit on 1-8-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-8-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join