It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mblah's Chicken Enchilada Casserole

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have been making this for over 10 years and I make it different every time. It is an easy and simple meal and you can pretty much alter it however you want for flavor. I have made this many times and usually there are no left overs!

This is probably one of my favorite recipes.

Ingredients

2lbs cooked chicken cubed
3 cups Mexican shredded cheese blend
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 16 ounce pkg pepper jack cheese shredded
3 14oz medium size cans of enchilada sauce
1/4 cup diced green chilies or one of the small cans already diced
2 14oz cans diced tomatoes
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can corn
1 can sliced black olives
1/2 tbs fresh minced garlic
corn tortillas
1 onion diced
1 cup chicken broth
hot sauce
sour cream

Directions
preheat oven to 350F

1. cook chicken and sautee onion and fresh garlic in the same pan, cube and set aside
2. in a large pot add all the above ingredients except the hot sauce, sour cream and corn tortillas
3. Add chicken. onion and garlic to large pot and cook til cheese has melted...stirring often. Cook on medium heat, don't cook too high or you might burn the cheese.
4. Once cheese has melted and items are blended take a lasagna pan and layer the bottom with a little bit of the cheese mixture, then you want to layer the corn tortillas on the bottom like you would pasta for lasagna. Next pour some of the cheese mixture over the corn tortillas then layer more corn tortillas followed my more cheese mixture. Continue layering like a lasagna ending up with the corn tortilla layer on top.
5. bake in oven for 45mins-1 hour or until cheese starts to bubble and brown. Let sit for 5-10 mins before serving.
6. Cut in serving size portions like lasagna and serve with hot sauce and sour cream. Even a little salsa on the side is tasty!

I do not have a picture yet of this, will add one when I make this again.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

can't go wrong with enchilada's...I do something very similar except I use ground mule deer meat in place of the beef...and i spice it up with cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick...also goes real good with pickled jalepeno's...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile

can't go wrong with enchilada's...I do something very similar except I use ground mule deer meat in place of the beef...and i spice it up with cayenne pepper to give it a bit of a kick...also goes real good with pickled jalepeno's...

Well that sounds like an acquired taste. I am not a fan of deer meat

I love cayenne pepper! I add that to this as well but I like mine to be hot like a spicy enchilada only lasagna style

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So what kind of wine are we drinking when you cook this for me, red or white?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I also wanted to add that you can use flour tortillas because I have had to make it that way before for someone because they could not eat the corn ones for some reason.

It will not come out the same however. The corn tortilla expands like a sponge and absorbs the cheese mixture which gives them flavor but the flour tortillas don't really do that so it tends to be a little crispy if you use flour tortillas.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
So what kind of wine are we drinking when you cook this for me, red or white?

Boncho!!

You pick lol I don't drink wine but I would say a red wine for this

I like wine but it doesn't like me. The only wine I could drink that didn't make me sick after a glass was while I was in Italy for the holidays. I didn't get sick there from the wine...

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

ya deer is a bit of an acquired taste but trust me when I say it goes great with cayenne (you have to use a bit more compared to beef for sure) and enchilada sauce...

my girlfriend doesn't seem to notice a difference and says it's really good so i stick with deer meat for now...simply cuz I have so much of it and it saves some money not having to buy the beef

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

Yeah I dated a guy years ago who actually got me to eat it. I thought it was cubed up beef, it was deer. I don't know what he cooked it in and what the sauce was but it was actually really good. He said it was his special recipe and his family says he wont tell anyone what is in it. I am willing to bet jager is an ingredient in his marinade.

If I could find deer meat ground up I might try it this way. As long as it isn't gamey tasking I am good.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

get rid of the gamey taste with pepper, cayenne (a decent amount) and a bit of BBQ sauce (a sweet/tangy kind tends to work well) I use Stubbs BBQ sauce lately...tends to turn out pretty well...i have on occassion cooked it with beer before too

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, now I know what I am making for dinner tomorrow night! This sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This sounds really good, I think I might like to try it.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Dude(ett
), every time I see one of your culinary posts, my mouth waters and I get overtaken with hunger for good food. Think I'll just throw my p&j away now!

Keep it up sista'!

peace
edit on 31-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Thank you for the recipe! I'll have to try this out next week.

One question. Do you dip the corn tortilla's in heated oil to moisten them up or would you not recommend that? I've seen that technique used for enchilada's before and was wondering if it would hurt or help.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Enlightenme1111

you're better off not flipping them in my opinion...i never flip mine at least...would mess up your pretty looking cheese's on the top too

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I love to experiment with cooking .
This resipe is just asking to be tried !

Chicken one time beef and beef soup the next
Could even add homine

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

No don't dip them in anything. The cheese blend you make will absorb into the corn tortillas when u bake it. You're not making enchiladas really, it's more like a Mexican lasagna where the tortillas are your pasta.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

you're better off not flipping them in my opinion...i never flip mine at least...would mess up your pretty looking cheese's on the top too

These are not enchiladas in anyway. There is no flipping or frying or anything. It's made just like lasagna only different ingredients.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

These are not enchiladas in anyway. There is no flipping or frying or anything. It's made just like lasagna only different ingredients.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby
I love to experiment with cooking .
This resipe is just asking to be tried !

Chicken one time beef and beef soup the next
Could even add homine

You could!

When I first started making this all I added was cheese and that was only cheddar. Over the years ive added different things and found the different cheeses are better.

I have out black beans in it but personally I didn't like it but some did.

Thanks

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

This recipe sounds delicious...I am going to try it this month.....yummy! In the meantime would you please mail me some? (lol)

edit on 1-8-2011 by caladonea because: grammar correction

top topics

<<   2 >>

join