It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famine in East Africa: Why Does Nobody Care?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Because it's going to be that way here soon, and we gotta cover our own butts first. WE should not police the world and should not feed east africans when US citizens are starving here.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Like ive already said i do not agree with the wars that we are in. We have tried and tried to help these people, what have they done for themselfs?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by Kram09
reply to post by Campy61

It means that Americans are so apathetic, self-centred and ignorant that it beggars belief.

The United States could use it's power for the better instead of immoral wars.

Do you think these people caused the famine? I'm sure they didn't want it....

Ridiculous....

And what does that make the rest of the world? China couldn't go into there and clean it up? Russia, EU, Japan etc?

Exactly why does it always have to be America to the rescue we do way more then our share.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

You're from England, you really think your country is so much better than the U.S.? Really? You guys are just like us.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I asked where you are from because here: Adrianne = Adriana that becomes Adita.

Still my here isn't in the US.

Back on topic:

This will sound really cruel. Let's stop the aid for 20 years and there will be no more need for aid. The ones that can't feed themselves will die and with some luck the rest will prosper. No other people had this problem before. It's simple, if the land sustains x people either relocate the rest or let nature take it's course.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

If you read all the links I had provided for you, you would not be asking who and claiming just the "AFRICAN REBELS". Also, I never claimed you did not have an education. I stated for you to educated yourself on the this subject. Here are a couple quotes from the articles that you surely did not read.

President Khama stated that many African countries continue to receive very poor ratings and occupy the bottom half of the ratings, which adversely impact on the ability of these countries to attract foreign investment to boost economic growth.

"On the African continent many people continue to live in abject poverty despite abundant natural resources owing to corruption in some cases. In many instances, the abundance of these resources has been a curse for the general populace...diminishing the confidence levels of the population in politicians, public servants and government institutions as a whole...leaving people in despair and hopelessness. Where corruption is rampant, the wealth of a country ends up in the pockets of a few of these people," said the president.

I guess all that is the "AFRICAN REBELS"?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimbone

Yes it does it proves my point exactly. The African people holding down the African people. Maybe rebels wasent the correct term but what really is the difference between the rebels and the government holding them down?

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
you want to make a difference?

then donate

www.hapa.ie...

otherwise theres no point just talking about it and demanding that others do something

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

But do you really think there are people in the government of Africa who do not want change for their people? Do you really think for a moment that the new generation of African leaders wants things to stay the same? The old dogs, who are opposed to change, will soon die off and hopefully this will usher in a new era for Africa. Only time will tell.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

No there are not.

African politicians are mostly concerned with stocking Swiss bank accounts before the next revolution tosses them out and installs President for Life v2.0 who repeats the cycle.

As for time telling- for the past 8000 years the various tribes have been killing each other, hacking off limbs, eating bits of each other and generally acting like sociopathic fools. The next 20-30 years aren't going to change anything.

Keep on donating though- there's a load of dictators & politicians that haven't gotten solidly into the 10 figure range yet!

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The people of Africa need to find a way to deal with its corrupt government if they want real changes. They can't always expect the rest of the world to send aid until the end of time. They need to stop having so many damn babies if they can't produce their own food.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Donating money is just a cop out to actually doing something yourself to help these people.

Its a nice gesture though.

Why don't you grow some food to send them? If the problem is so outrageous that you are astonished there are not people doing anything about it then start doing something.

Send them things they need to support themselves longer term while helping with immediate relief so that the problem is actually solved.

Complaining helps no one.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
You say no body cares but my friends were donating the other day and discussing it.
I didn't donate because I am just struggling to feed my own family right now, and neighbors at times, because there is no one left working close to me.

So I don't think it is fair to say no one cares, from my viewpoint, I have seen much evidence to the contrary.
Now it might be fair to say why is there no media attention on this?

Well, why is there no media attention on anything but the debt debacle? I think that is a better question.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This area needs to learn to take care of themselves first. They seem to lack any inclination to govern themselves and have for countless decades allowed themselves to be run by militia's. If we go in their with aid and take care of this issue then next year they will need help again.

Short of going in there and establishing a permanent presence there is little the outside world can do until they do something themselves. If we do go in there I can imagine the original poster would say something like how we are invading a sovereign nation and sticking our nose in places it doesn't belong.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by theblackirish7

I think you need to check your facts, the UK leads the world in given foreign aid so do not even go there,

And it was the UK who was the first country to help out in Africa.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Or do I have to remind you of Live Aid? When there was famine in Ethiopia? We lead the world, oh wait before anyone says Bob Geldof, in raising money to help feed those whom were starving there. And we are doing the exact same in the famine effecting east Africa now.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Considering you guys started the Royal Africa Company which was responsible for purchasing slaves from the Dutch in West Africa and transporting them to the Americas to work British plantations in the Caribbean and southern North America it's well you should be.

Heck over 1/3 of all slaves bought in Africa for sale elsewhere were purchased and resold in the name of the Crown with profits going to the monarchy.

Then of course we have the division of the continent amongst European powers without regard to tribal loyalties. I won't even go into later abuses like Rhodesia and the atrocities committed by British subjects in an attempt to keep control of their Empire.

Perhaps a long look in the mirror is on order prior to throwing stones at the United States for not solving problems that your country as well as the rest of Europe helped create.
edit on 31-7-2011 by SFA437 because: Typos

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This is the point I was making. While we continually give them aid and have been for a very long time they still do not improve their own situation so I think it's time we let them work out something for themselves.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

At least the UK apologises for it...

This has nothing to do with history, this is to do with the present famine which is occuring in Africa now, I have not slagged the US off in my comments, I am just pointing out a fact.

edit on 31-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Yes i do think they do not want change for the citizens of africa. Why else would most of that country still be living in mud huts? We give and give for nothing we cant help it if what we give does not reach the people in need. The country will never advance and never will no matter what we as outsiders do to help.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join